PDA

View Full Version : .308 sniper ammo questions

Altair
10-25-11, 15:57
I read through the sticky about .308 snipers loads a and had a couple questions.

The poor accuracy from the 165gr TBBC tactical loads is mentioned, which is consistent with what our snipers have experienced. For that reason, our snipers have pretty much written them off and don't use or practice with them.

The 180gr Nosler Accubond is listed as a good accuracy bonded barrier blind round but also lists extreme penetration. Is there a good bonded load that doesn't overpenetrate (under 18" in gel)? I didn't see the 150gr or 165gr Accubonds listed anywhere as having been tested and thought they might provide a good alternative.

Also, have the lighter 110gr TSX and 130gr TTSX's been tested? I know that line has some issues with windshield glass but I thought they might perform adequately without the same excessive penetration with the 180gr Accubond.

Is there any lighter bonded bullet available I just don't know about? Something in the 110-130gr range? I suspect this might be available in the future with the wide acceptance of the 300BLK but haven't heard of any yet.

I'm also going to make the argument to move from the 168 GMM (SMK) to the 155gr AMAX, but our lead sniper is pretty married to the SMK so we'll see.

DocGKR
10-25-11, 18:10
Have you read the .308 info recently?

"The current .308 rifle loads that best meet these requirements when fired from a 16" barrel semi-auto, include the Remington 150 gr Core-Lokt Ultra Bond JSP, followed by the Speer 150 gr Gold Dot JSP, and Swift 150 gr Scirroco bonded PT."

We have not yet tested the 150 gr Accubond, but it will likely be looked at this coming year. We have not shot the 110 gr TSX at .308 velocities. The 130 gr TSX was recently tested: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=88138.

"Is there any lighter bonded bullet available I just don't know about? Something in the 110-130gr range? I suspect this might be available in the future with the wide acceptance of the 300BLK but haven't heard of any yet."

If a bullet is optimized for .300 BLK velocities, it will likely be over-driven at .308 velocities...

Altair
10-25-11, 19:14
Have you read the .308 info recently?

I saw those alternatives listed but didn't see any accuracy information. Are they closer to the Accubond with regard to accuracy?

We have not yet tested the 150 gr Accubond, but it will likely be looked at this coming year. We have not shot the 110 gr TSX at .308 velocities. The 130 gr TSX was recently tested: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=88138.

I look forward to seeing the results. I've always liked Nosler bullets.

If a bullet is optimized for .300 BLK velocities, it will likely be over-driven at .308 velocities...

I thought that might be a concern but I also thought that if any bullet designed for the BLK could handle the higher velocities it would be a bonded projectile. What does a bonded bullet do if it is pushed too fast? I wouldn't think it would fragment or come apart like a standard cup and core design.

DocGKR
10-26-11, 00:40
If it does not come apart, an overdriven bonded JSP often results in a smaller final recovered diameter, with the expanded portion folding back against the bullet shank.