PDA

View Full Version : Father thought he did me good.

Breadstick
10-25-11, 19:03
Coming home from an outing my father asked me to stop by his house on my way home.

Get there he takes me into the garage and hands me a box as say "here s little somthing I got ya" Cool, I thought it a gun I can tell by the weight.

Opened the box and there sit a Taurus Public Defender:blink:

THanks Dad! While inside I was like WTF! of all the firearms I've mentioned I'd like and in that price range I get one of these......I appriciate the gesture...but....*sigh*

He gave me several boxs of 410, and Federal flat nose SP long colt.

I'll shoot in from time to time.....I guess I'm now a "dipshit"for being in possesion of one of these.

Had to share......though after looking into ammo selection of the .45 colt not to shabby on performance some rival ACP and 44mag loads, I'll try different loads settle on one get a box load the gun and stash it in the clock on the wall (that hides a gun too).

Not to bad on accuracy out to 7yards....furthest I plan shooting it.

410 buck/bird shot will be reserved for skunk, armadillo and other crtter ridence on the family land....

C4IGrant
10-25-11, 19:08
Coming home from an outing my father asked me to stop by his house on my way home.

Get there he takes me into the garage and hands me a box as say "here s little somthing I got ya" Cool, I thought it a gun I can tell by the weight.

THanks Dad! While inside I was like WTF! of all the firearms I've mentioned I'd like and in that price range I get one of these......I appriciate the gesture...but....*sigh*

He gave me several boxs of 410, and Federal flat nose SP long colt.

I'll shoot in from time to time.....I guess I'm now a "dipshit"for being in possesion of one of these.

Had to share......though after looking into ammo selection of the .45 colt not to shabby on performance some rival ACP and 44mag loads, I'll try different loads settle on one get a box load the gun and stash it in the clock on the wall (that hides a gun too).

Not to bad on accuracy out to 7yards....furthest I plan shooting it.

410 buck/bird shot will be reserved for skunk, armadillo and other crtter ridence on the family land....

It is the thought that counts.

C4

Pork Chop
10-25-11, 19:14
The gesture is all that matters. I lost my Father 5 years ago, he was my best friend & I miss the ornery old fart everyday.

I promise that silly Taurus will be one of your most cherished belongings someday.

Besides, they actually make a decent snake gun, if you live around rattlesnakes?:smile:

ryan
10-25-11, 19:23
Put it in a box with pictures of your Pop, you wont have him forever. I would like to have one for frog giggin.

Breadstick
10-25-11, 20:35
Yes, I agree.

He has in the past, given me two mint Baby Brownings I hold very close.

one
10-25-11, 20:38
Congratulations Dipshit!

Ok, ok, there was no way I couldn't write that. Seriously though. Anything your dad gives you far outweighs any opinion anywhere.

Now how about an actual range report on it? I mean have we ever actually had anyone put a significant number or rounds through one of these to see how it performs?

Matt-J2
10-25-11, 21:17
I know this is M4C and all, but it really is ok to own guns that aren't intended for serious use. So have some fun with it and think of your dad when you do. Do a review on it as one mentioned, then if your dad asks about it you can tell him honestly you ran it through it's paces and reviewed it for others. He might get a kick out of that. :)
Admittedly, I'm one of those guys who wants one just for the novelty of it. It's a ways down the list yet, though.

BCmJUnKie
10-25-11, 21:21
Very cool. You should be happy.

At least he thought to get you something.

It was my Birthday last week, My dad gave me a text message

lol

SHIVAN
10-25-11, 21:26
On some occasions, people shouldn't actually post what is on their mind.

I mean to say, it is enlightening, but...........

Abraxas
10-25-11, 21:27
I would say he did you just fine. May not be the ideal weapon, but it is still a thoughtful gift.

Breadstick
10-25-11, 22:00
I would say he did you just fine. May not be the ideal weapon, but it is still a thoughtful gift.

Exactly...it was very nice of him...it just struck me funny. Come to find out he got himself one too, and got Crimson trace lasers for it.

It's his anti-skunk gun he says all he loads it with is 410 shot.

I'm more interested in the .45colt side of it. Most likely all I'll shoot from it, from 185gr all the way to 300gr. With all kinds of FPS, and bullet types in between.

I just might do range report of this gun, didn't think about that.

Pork Chop
10-25-11, 22:38
My brother-in-law has one. It actually shoots the .45 colt stuff pretty well, just like most any revolver, but the .410 shot shells are pretty much useless outside of 15 ft.

It makes a good snake killer, but the pattern at 15 ft was about an 18" spread and there aren't a whole lot of pellets in a .410.:p

Now skunks, 10-15 ft is too close for this guy! I'd go with the .45's for stink kitty's.:haha:

one
10-25-11, 22:57
I noticed last weekend that my local Wal Mart is stocking .45 Colt ammunition so it might not be too hard to pick some up in your area.

Dienekes
10-25-11, 23:58
My Dad was in the "old Patrol" (Border Patrol, 1940) and did two hitches in the Army (Pre-WWII and Patton's Third Army). He indulged my teenage interest in guns and got me a DCM 1911 for Christmas, 1960. But he had some quirks when it came to guns, too. When he wanted a house gun in his 60s he definitely wanted a "snubnose". So I got him a nice S&W M60 2" and some good hollow point loads for it. Every couple of years I would check and reoil the gun. He very carefully kept it loaded with some 158 LRN ammo he had come up with in the meantime. Definitely old school.

He passed on in 2005 at the age of 94, still sharp as a tack. I miss him every day, quirks and all.

Your Dad sounds like a Good Guy too.

ICANHITHIMMAN
10-26-11, 06:11
Spoiled brat is my take on your whole post.

Breadstick
10-26-11, 06:41
yeah, came across that way, after rereading it sure does......

QuietShootr
10-26-11, 06:59
Nah, don't pick on the guy, I know how he feels. I was given a really expensive gift one time (not identified so as to not confuse the issue) by my dad that is totally not what I would have chosen for myself, and I both felt touched he would give me such a thing and chagrined that if he was going to spend that kind of money he should have known which one I actually wanted.

doesn't mean dude is a brat or a piece of shit, just telling the truth. And as long as he doesn't ever let his dad know, it's perfectly fine to say it to your online acquaintances, imo.

Nightgunner
10-26-11, 07:28
Be glad you still have your father. Many of us no longer do.

Nice spoiled brat attitude about what he does with his money while thinking of you is not good enough.

I would give everything I have to have my Dad back.

Breadstick
10-26-11, 07:49
by my dad that is totally not what I would have chosen for myself, and I both felt touched he would give me such a thing and chagrined that if he was going to spend that kind of money he should have known which one I actually wanted.

Yep, I appreciated it, and will treat the gun with extra care.

I'm sure I'll feel the same way nightgunner.

I told him years back if it gets to the point he can no longer care for himself I'll be right there to take care of him.

We joke about things like, if you watch our dog this weekend that's an extra couple diaper changes.... or he'll say I'll do this for you if you can give me an extra sponge bath. We always gets a chuckle out of it.

Grizzly16
10-26-11, 07:51
Be glad you still have your father. Many of us no longer do.

Nice spoiled brat attitude about what he does with his money while thinking of you is not good enough.

I would give everything I have to have my Dad back.

+1 to this.

Plus ANY free gun is a good thing. Hell gimme a free hi-point and I'll find some way to have fun with it. The judge isn't really that bad of a gun. Just not a world ender like a lot of folks claim it to be. Like you said .45 long colt is a nice round.

Lumpy196
10-26-11, 09:53
It is the thought that counts.

C4

I use that phrase often in situations where I've inflicted something terrible on someone.

Dionysusigma
11-05-11, 18:19
Got two gifts from my Dad last Christmas...

One was a 500rd case of Brown Bear 55gr FMJ .223, which we proceeded to burn up together.

The other one, infinitely priceless, is a three-hour .mp3 recording my brother got of him that Christmas night of him sitting by the fireplace telling my mom, my brother, and me his entire life story up until my brother was born (who is five years older than me). Things we'd never heard before, not even Mom. Stuff he'd never told anyone. Over the course I'd had four or so glasses of egg nog, and at the end was still completely sober, in awe of this guy that I never even realized I'd taken for granted. That recording is something that I plan to have professionally mastered (as well as possible), transcripted, and possibly even write it up as a biography--it's that incredible.

Before he went, he also gave me his 1903A3 that I'd built for him on his 60th birthday, his favorite rifle since his high school ROTC days. Its first time out, he shot a 3/4MOA group with irons despite him not having touched one for 42 years. :eek:

I can say for absolute certain he's in a better place now. :rolleyes: :)

one
11-05-11, 18:48
That's beyond awesome.

Breadstick
11-05-11, 20:05
The pops got me a box of Federal .45colt yesterday, which I tend to do a range report with next weekend when we go out to the land. I went and got some reactive targets too.

I tend to mainly only shoot .45colt through it.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x251/Breadstick360/PublicDefender.jpg

Magic_Salad0892
11-05-11, 20:09
I use that phrase often in situations where I've inflicted something terrible on someone.

That was my defence after my girlfriend and I tried to find a candidate for a three-some who turned out to be a dude.

We bailed. She made fun of me for picking a dude.

Not the first time that happened. I shit you not. **** Japan.

Magic_Salad0892
11-05-11, 20:15
I only met my Dad once before he died.

He gave me a 1950 production Colt 1911 that his dad gave him as as graduation present.

I don't have the pistol now, as I gifted it to my 17 year old brother in CA.

He needed a father more than I did, and I felt he earned it more.

At least the thought was sweet. However, if my Dad had given me a Hi-Point...

Lmao. I'd still be a little irritated.

I forgot what the original intent of my post was.

Brimstone
11-05-11, 20:52
I lost my dad thirteen years ago. The last present he gave me was the most ass ugly shirt you have ever seen. I never wear it, but it means a lot to me. It hangs in my closet and reminds me of him.

duckdog_3a
11-05-11, 21:44
I lost my dad this last February and I still have the Glock 27 he gave me when I graduated from law enforcement school. He was never a Glock guy and always said "Why would I want a gun I can clean in the dishwasher!!" I still have the guy and will carry it as a backup when I get hired. A little piece of him with me every day.

Mark/MO
11-06-11, 09:15
My sentiment is similar to many others I’ve read here, it’s the thought that counts. Reminds me of the gold colored tie my kids gave me one year for father’s day when they were quite little. They had written on it with glitter paint saying “We love you Daddy” and their names. I even “had” to wear it once. It still hangs on the tie rack, reminding me of that time in our lives and I wouldn’t part with it.
Keep it, if nothing else as a reminder of your dad’s thoughtfulness and love.

WillBrink
11-06-11, 09:27

LOL. I'd say 'it's the thought that counts', but it's a Taurus Public Defender! You can't sell or trade it either, so you're screwed. I have a S&W .380 Sigma I was given the person thought was doing be good too. It sits in the safe year after year. It happens. :D

tpd223
11-06-11, 10:13
My dad was only 49 when he passed away, I was 18, definitely didn't get to spend enough time around him. Even when he was alive I didn't see him as much as you would think since he was active Army, did three tours in Vietnam, and was in the air cav when we were in German so he spend like 6-9 month of the year in the field.

I got all of his guns, after he died.

Anyway, over at The Box O Truth they did some testing on various loads through a Judge, most sucked but the 000 buck loadings appear useful.

capt planit
11-06-11, 14:38
Spoiled brat is my take on your whole post.

yup :rolleyes:

Jake'sDad
11-06-11, 16:59

My best friend, who's definitely a gun guy, ended up with a Judge as a gift. He started carrying it around his place, on the tractor, etc., and he told me that amazingly enough, the little pos is actually a pretty useful gun to have around the farm.

And all the comments here about Dad's are absolutely true. When they're not around any more, anything they gave you will mean more to you than you can imagine. My Dad was a simple man, who never had the money to buy himself nice things. But of all the guns I've been fortunate enough to be able to own, the last two I'd give up, are the war trophy he brought back from WWII, and his worn and pitted Montgomery Wards double barrel shotgun, with the electrical tape he wrapped around the grip some 70 years ago.

Working in a gun store as a kid, I was always saddened by the people that would come in to sell off Dad's or Grampa's guns after he died. Tried to talk most of them out of it, successfully a few times. Hopefully they all still have them, and remember the kid that risked getting fired to keep their heirlooms in their family.

GoToAle
02-25-21, 19:59
I only wish I could have my dad back to listen to my worthless complaints.

Turnkey11
02-27-21, 10:47
I'd take Dad out the first range trip and enjoy that Taurus with him. Most of the memories with my Dad are at the range our out in a field popping prairie dogs. I'm headed his way in a few weeks, I know its not gonna last forever.