PDA

View Full Version : EDC w/ Light Attached

Brimstone
10-25-11, 21:23
I would like some feedback from those that carry their sidearm with a light attached. Do you see any drawbacks? Do you encounter any issues with this set-up?

I currently do not have a light on my EDC pistol. This has mostly been a decision based on holster limitations and the fact that my pistol would be my third choice if someone broke into my home at night. Now, I am about to order a kydex holster and I am debating on whether to get the option for a light. In my mind it seems like there might be few situations where a light would be needed, but then again the only time I have had a gun pointed at me as a civilian was on a dark street late at night. Maybe I have just answered my own question. :rolleyes:

I would still be interested in hearing if there is any downside to this set-up.

YVK
10-25-11, 21:39
Obvious limitations are concealment and some issues arising from specifics of light-bearing holsters.
With full-sized pistol, you're pretty much limited to OWB. With compact sized pistols, you can do IWB, but it does require careful clothes selection. I have Raven Concealment light-enabled holsters for 1911 and Glock 19 and have carried both OWB extensively, and Glock 19 with SF X300 - some. I like added capability but no tailored clothing or tight jeans...
I've encountered a problem of hitting a proximal phalanx of my middle finger against the edge of trigger guard portion of either of my holsters, since that part is "winged" to allow for light's passage. I understand that this has been noted on other maker's holsters. Both holsters went to RCS; the 1911 was fixed, the Glock - not to my liking. I took it down further and ended up screwing it up by taking off too much. I don't carry Glock 19 right now but if I did, I would need a new light-bearing holsters; just sharing a lesson.

CaptainDooley
10-25-11, 21:41
I carry an M&P 9 FS with a TLR-1 every day in a Personal Security Systems holster. I see no downsides with it - the extra weight is negligible, the extra bulk is in the part hidden in my pants (TWSS), and I now know I won't have to fumble with my other flashlight if I need to use my gun in a low light condition. I don't see any reason not to do it.

jaxman7
10-25-11, 22:52
Brimstone,

What size dude are you (and DONT take that the wrong way :D) and also what are the summers like up there in Utah? I assume that's where the majority of your CCW will take place. Here in Mississippi it regularly gets in the mid/high 90s in the summer and when I carry a WML holster I can conceal it quite well with a button up untucked short sleeve shirt. It is carried at about the 2:30 position with a zero cant holster. My only problem with it is that I have what a Major once said to me @ Airborne School, 'child bearing hips'. I'm not big (6', 215 lbs) but carrying at that position, with my 'mama hips' can be a little discomforting at times. Especially sitting in a cinema but I can access the gun faster (for me at that position) and I like the angle the gun sits at with the zero cant as it pertains to my grip/draw. So its a trade off. I'll take a little discomfort to have the advantage of a slightly faster draw of a handgun with the ability to illuminate a threat. BTW my carry gun is an M&P9 FS with an X300. Good luck & hope this helps,

-Jax

Brimstone
10-25-11, 23:22
Brimstone,

What size dude are you (and DONT take that the wrong way :D) and also what are the summers like up there in Utah? I assume that's where the majority of your CCW will take place. Here in Mississippi it regularly gets in the mid/high 90s in the summer and when I carry a WML holster I can conceal it quite well with a button up untucked short sleeve shirt. It is carried at about the 2:30 position with a zero cant holster. My only problem with it is that I have what a Major once said to me @ Airborne School, 'child bearing hips'. I'm not big (6', 215 lbs) but carrying at that position, with my 'mama hips' can be a little discomforting at times. Especially sitting in a cinema but I can access the gun faster (for me at that position) and I like the angle the gun sits at with the zero cant as it pertains to my grip/draw. So its a trade off. I'll take a little discomfort to have the advantage of a slightly faster draw of a handgun with the ability to illuminate a threat. BTW my carry gun is an M&P9 FS with an X300. Good luck & hope this helps,

-Jax

I also carry an M&P9 FS. I am 5'10", 175 lb. with a 32" waist. The Summers are much more bearable than Mississippi. We get into the 80s and 90s with very low humidity. I don't have much problem concealing out here because no one really cares if I am carrying or not so I don't worry about printing.

jaxman7
10-25-11, 23:38
Gotcha man. Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem then. Try it on, throw it up against the wall and see if it sticks! I know the vast majority of my concealed carry is done with the sun on the other side of the planet. It just makes sense to me to have a light on the gun. But not without my E2D in my left pocket.

-Jax

CLHC
10-26-11, 00:40
Here's one posted awhile back. Some interesting information found herein:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=49481

Nephrology
10-26-11, 06:39
I carry a G19 pretty much most days of the year. When it gets colder out (as it is now) I transition to the G19+ TLR1 outside the waistband in a RCS holster.

Fits great. Not really that much more bulk relative to the gun without the light OWB. I would probably never carry with the light IWB. If it's going OWB, though, I see no reason to carry without the light. Just my 2 cents.

Brimstone
10-26-11, 07:04
Here's one posted awhile back. Some interesting information found herein:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=49481

Thanks for the link. Good feedback there. Your search skills are better than mine.

dougwg
10-26-11, 08:55
Many more bad things happen while dark outside.

I would think of carrying without a light.

TangoDeltaKilo
10-26-11, 09:32
I’m 5'9" 178lbs. and wear blue jeans and t-shirt's to slacks and tucked polo’s daily. At first I was apprehensive about adding x300 on my M&P9fs for IWB edc, however after getting the PSS holster and carrying for 4 months now I cannot tell its on there and no one else has either.

The only downside in my decision coming from a Comp-Tac Leather/kydex holster going to a complete kydex for IWB you may lose a little comfort but that’s fixed by adding mole skin to the backside of the kydex holster.

10-26-11, 10:03
I bought a kydex holster from bad karma holsters approximately 2.5 months ago to fit my G19 and TLR-1. I've been carrying it IWB every day since I bought the holster. This includes 90+ temps with high humidity. I've carried concealed for 2 years now, with J frames, small semi autos, and the G19. I honestly can't see myself going back to just carrying the J frame, as the Glock with the light attached is that comfortable. In my experience, it all has to do with the right holster, and I got lucky in my choice of holsters.

I'm 6'0, 200#, and can conceal the gun IWB with just a t shirt. I can't wear one of those emo shirts some guys steal from their little sister, but anything looser than that will conceal the gun and light well. If you have a decent holster and a decent belt, you can get away with carrying a light on your gun every day.

ehcarl2983
10-26-11, 10:18
I'm 5'8" 175 lbs 32" waist. I have no problem EDCing a G19 + x300 IWB in a Raven Phantom LC with the MD cut. I got the holster for a 17 and while it's a little tougher for me I will still carry the 17 in this manner as well. I have never had to size pants bigger for a pistol alone but in my experience I had to go up about 1" in the waist line to accommodate pistol, light, and the ability to tuck in warmer layers in the winter and still be comfortable. YMMV but I like doing it.

rackham1
10-26-11, 13:49
I have no problem EDCing a G19 + x300 IWB in a Raven Phantom LC with the MD cut. I got the holster for a 17...

Does the 19 w/ light fit just fine in that holster? I hadn't thought about it before... makes sense but would have wondered if the 19 vs. 17 might have changed where the light sits in the holster's molding slightly.

I've never been a Glock guy but finally giving in and deciding between 17 or 19 (w/ SF x300). Would be really nice to have one RCS to fit both. Sounds like that's the case...?

Nephrology
10-26-11, 13:58
Does the 19 w/ light fit just fine in that holster? I hadn't thought about it before... makes sense but would have wondered if the 19 vs. 17 might have changed where the light sits in the holster's molding slightly.

I've never been a Glock guy but finally giving in and deciding between 17 or 19 (w/ SF x300). Would be really nice to have one RCS to fit both. Sounds like that's the case...?

I know that my Comp-Tac bbelt OWB will fit the G19 or G17 w/ TLR. Probably would fit G34 too.

rackham1
10-26-11, 14:17
I know that my Comp-Tac bbelt OWB will fit the G19 or G17 w/ TLR. Probably would fit G34 too.

Cool! Thanks for the input... I guess there's no reason it wouldn't work that way considering glock geometry, but it's nice to get some confirmation.

To the OP, I'm in the same shoes... never carried w/ weapon light but moving that way. This was the last convincing I needed :D

Grizzly16
10-26-11, 14:18
I'm not a fan of edc a gun+light. Mainly because there are times that I want to use my edc light quite a bit and I've thankfully yet had to pull my g23 in self defense. Given that carrying a separate light + gun/light combo is a bit of over kill.

Nephrology
10-26-11, 14:19
Cool! Thanks for the input... I guess there's no reason it wouldn't work that way considering glock geometry, but it's nice to get some confirmation.

To the OP, I'm in the same shoes... never carried w/ weapon light but moving that way. This was the last convincing I needed :D

If you already own a weaponlight I think it is an obvious jump ti make, and everyone should own a weaponlight. I am looking at getting a 2nd TLR-1

glocktogo
10-26-11, 15:11
I'm not a fan of edc a gun+light. Mainly because there are times that I want to use my edc light quite a bit and I've thankfully yet had to pull my g23 in self defense. Given that carrying a separate light + gun/light combo is a bit of over kill.

Not really. Two is one and one is none. If one goes down, you're not left in the dark. Also, there are tasks the hand held light excel at and vice-versa.

I'm currently waiting on my Y-12 TL holster from Tony for the G-19/X300. It's supposed to be headed to me this week! :)

TOrrock
10-26-11, 15:15
I carry a Glock 19 Gen 3 in a Raven Concealment Phantom with a Streamlight TLR-1S attached.

I use the tuckable straps on the Phantom, but do not tuck my shirt in between, and it's very comfortable and concealable.

I also carry a Surefire 6P LED in a pocket so that I have a light for general purposes.

nobody knows
10-26-11, 16:13
I'm 5'6" 145-150 lbs with a 31" waist, I carry a g19 with trl-1s IWB in a kaluban cloak[sp?] Kydex rig everyday. This summer we had 42 days strait with 100+ degree heat and high humidity. I carry at about 3:30-4:00 O'clock with just a t-shirt without a problem. I am thinking of going with a different holster though, maybe a raven phantom or secret city K-25. Mostly because I want a holster that uses soft IWB loops, and partly because the holster I have now bruises the hell out of me:D

Edit to add-
http://www.shopleatherworks.com/Tac-Light-Hybrid-IWB-TACHYBRID.htm
For those that can't do the kydex IWB, this is the best attempt I have seen with a hybrid iwb holster with a lite attached. He also makes beautiful leather holsters.

Backstop
10-27-11, 09:07
http://www.shopleatherworks.com/Tac-Light-Hybrid-IWB-TACHYBRID.htm
For those that can't do the kydex IWB, this is the best attempt I have seen with a hybrid iwb holster with a lite attached. He also makes beautiful leather holsters.

Wow - thanks for posting that. That looks great.

I can't IWB Kydex in any manner, and it's always bugged me that I don't have a light on my IWB gun.

Do you have one, or know where I can read a review?

Thanks.

Sam1002057
10-27-11, 10:26
I IWB carry a g34 w/ TLR-1s all day, everyday in a CompTac CTAC. No issues at all...very comfortable.

nobody knows
10-27-11, 16:13
Wow - thanks for posting that. That looks great.

I can't IWB Kydex in any manner, and it's always bugged me that I don't have a light on my IWB gun.

Do you have one, or know where I can read a review?

Thanks.

No problem, I know a few people that have them on another forum, and they are all vary happy with them. I will look to see if I can pull up the old thread for you and post it here.

Here is a thread from glock talk that was started by the maker. It has lots of examples of his current lineup as well as some custom work. As soon as I find the other thread I was looking for I will post it as well. Hope this helps some.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1191719

TAZ
10-27-11, 16:59
My EDC is a G21 with an X300 in an RCS Phantom. One is set up for IWB which is used for outside the home carry where concealment is paramount and a second set up for OWB for around the house or in the winter when I can wear heavier covering garments. For me neither concealment nor comfort were big issues. The RCS is awesome in those regards, either IWB or OWB. The IWB has been on for 12+ hour days most of which were spent behind the wheel with no issues.

My biggest concern was learning how not to point a loaded gun at an unidentified person. Not hard to work around that one, and I figure it's always better to have and not need than to need and not have. Definitely NOT a replacement for a good handheld though, but it is a good enhancement for one.

Backstop
10-27-11, 18:02
Here is a thread from glock talk that was started by the maker. It has lots of examples of his current lineup as well as some custom work. As soon as I find the other thread I was looking for I will post it as well. Hope this helps some.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1191719

Thanks.

I've looked, and reviews are few and far between. Maybe I'm not searching correctly.

I may call and talk with them - I'd want one with leather belt loops.

nobody knows
10-27-11, 18:17
Thanks.

I've looked, and reviews are few and far between. Maybe I'm not searching correctly.

I may call and talk with them - I'd want one with leather belt loops.

I'm having a hard time finding them as well, but I know his website has a review section that you might try. And from what I have seen he will modify existing models,or just make you a custom model if that's what you want. So I'm sure something as simple as leather belt loops should be no problem. Good luck and if you get one I'd like to here how it works out for you,because I have been wanting one for a while. But haven't had the extra cash.

wahoo95
10-27-11, 18:42
My EDC. For Winter....

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb244/a996hawk/photobucket-5486-1317335828869.jpg

cougar_guy04
10-27-11, 19:07
My EDC is a G19/X300 in a IWB RCS Holster for a G17 (wanted to keep my options open). Just have to be a little careful about placement or it can dig in/pinch when sitting. But I can wear it all day out on the town or at the range with no issues.

Only downside is that the nice, lightweight Glock 19 gets a little heavy with a full mag and X300. A good, solid belt helps a lot.

MegademiC
10-31-11, 13:21
where you carry helps too. I carry appendix/2oclock. A light would add a lot of bulk IWB with a t-shirt. If you wear a button up or sweatshirt/jacket is should be fine.

If your worried about weight, The belt is key as above poster said). I never wear tucked in shirts so I bought a wilderness instructor(1.5") with the plastic insert(csm). I carry a steel cz compact(.40) which id guess is just as if not heavier than a g19 with a light. I dont notice it after a couple minutes of walking around.

Also, with the sight attached, since its bulkier, will push the handle closer to your body and keep it from printing if IWB, but OWB would definitely be more comfortable.

Just some things to think about.

Brimstone
10-31-11, 13:52
I have one of the reinforced instructor's belts as well. That is my everyday belt. The stiffness of the belt makes a huge difference. I like it better than some of the thick leather belts I have used in the past.

Bourneshooter
10-31-11, 14:48
EDC is a Glock 19 with X300 or X400 in Raven Concealment Phantoms OWB with the normal belt loops. I have used the IWB J hooks when I went to Las Vegas this summer with the X300 equipped gun and it concealed slightly better.

Normal attire for me is a slightly loose T-shirt untucked. I'm 5'11" 185 FYI.

Occasionally I need a more discrete method of carry and I use a Dale Frike Joshua holster with a Glock 19 or Glock 27 sans light. Usually though I don't have a problem running the Glock 19 w/ light in a OWB concealed holster though. YMMV.

mnoe82
10-31-11, 18:13

I think your logic is totally flawed. I carry a second flashlight on me all the time anyway. My EDC is a M&PC with a TLR-2 in an RCS IWB (Acronympocalypse). I carried the gun in an RCS that wasn't light compatible for over a year. I wouldn't go back to a non light mounted carry rig ever. The holster gained almost no bulk and my capabilities are increased.

To my line of thinking, there is NO advantage to not having a light compatible holster.

GIJew766
10-31-11, 20:37
I think your logic is totally flawed. I carry a second flashlight on me all the time anyway. My EDC is a M&PC with a TLR-2 in an RCS IWB (Acronympocalypse). I carried the gun in an RCS that wasn't light compatible for over a year. I wouldn't go back to a non light mounted carry rig ever. The holster gained almost no bulk and my capabilities are increased.

To my line of thinking, there is NO advantage to not having a light compatible holster.

Not only this, but it doesn't hurt to have a separate light. I'm a product of the old adage that "one is none, two is one."

Right now I carry a 1911 with the X300 in a RCS Phantom with my E2DLED in one of the side pockets of my carpenters when I'm not at school. If I need a light and don't need the gun, I've got one. Similarly, if my X300 fails for whatever reason, I've got the handheld ready in the wings. Luckily, I haven't had to draw my pistol, though there have been an odd number of assaults and muggings in town lately, including one shooting the other week...

YMMV

H

G-lock
10-31-11, 21:50
I use a Raven Phantom OWB or IWB, FS M&P9 with TLR-1 and Crimson Trace grips.

I'm stubby little bastard but it disappears under a t-shirt or light jacket and since MI is an open carry state I don't really care if it prints or the jacket flys open now and then.

I also carry a G2X in a Raven carrier and a reload on the left side.

El Cid
11-01-11, 16:41
I also see no downsides to having the light. Better to have it and not need it... (etc.) Plus, if you get used to shooting with the light on, you'll notice less muzzle flip and fastery shot-to-shot recovery. That is non-scientific of course... I haven't done shot timer comparisons with and w/o the light.

For the last 2 1/2 years I carred a G22 with X300 in a Raven Concealment all day, every day. I recently switched to a G21 and have the same setup. I even have a coworker who carries the G22/X300 setup in a RC holster IWB. It does work well - I just don't refuse to buy larger pants. :)

goteron
11-03-11, 08:22
Always

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/TacticalElitist/9a9249b3.jpg

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/TacticalElitist/SCWHolster.jpg