PDA

View Full Version : Ameriglo Classic v. Operator

aaron_c
10-25-11, 22:44
Those of you who have used both- with the Operator sights, is there ever a time when it's difficult to be accurate due to lighting (not bright enough to see the black irons well, nor dark enough to see the tritium well)?

I'm about to pick up a set, green front yellow rear probably. I've only ever had the classics in green/green, but I'm wondering if they make daytime indoor shooting more difficult, for example.

Oscar 319
10-25-11, 23:05
Having shot standard Trijicon 3-dots the majority of my big boy life, I prefer the Operators and see no downside. I find them faster in all aspects of the type of shooting I do and in the service my gun sees.

aaron_c
10-25-11, 23:09
Thanks for the quick response, Oscar! You never have trouble picking them up, perhaps, in brighter light where the tritium rears don't stand out much?

I guess, to me, it appears that getting proper vertical alignment would be difficult with them:
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8684/sightsl.jpg
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9655/sightsto7.jpg

F-Trooper05
10-26-11, 01:03
Ideally you should be ignoring the dots during the day time anyways. The only time you should ever even notice them is at night when you have no way of seeing the top blade of the iron. I have the Operators and I'll be ditching them as soon as Jason Falla's are available (which won't have any rear dots at all, and the front dot will be extra small).

Striker
10-26-11, 02:12
Those of you who have used both- with the Operator sights, is there ever a time when it's difficult to be accurate due to lighting (not bright enough to see the black irons well, nor dark enough to see the tritium well)?

I'm about to pick up a set, green front yellow rear probably. I've only ever had the classics in green/green, but I'm wondering if they make daytime indoor shooting more difficult, for example.

The trit inserts won't make a difference in daytime or any shooting conditions where there is ample light. I shoot yellow rear, green front Trijicons on my Glock and it's a great setup for night. In the day or even under indoor range lighting, I don't pay attention to the dots at all, so it's a non issue.

Ideally you should be ignoring the dots during the day time anyways. The only time you should ever even notice them is at night when you have no way of seeing the top blade of the iron. I have the Operators and I'll be ditching them as soon as Jason Falla's are available (which won't have any rear dots at all, and the front dot will be extra small).

Do you run trit front, black rear on your other pistols? If so, how do you like it? I tried this on my Sig and I'm not sure it works for me.

aaron_c
10-26-11, 09:18
I've never shot with sights having no white rear dots. What's the purpose of handgun sights having them from the factory, just to see easier in low light (which the tritium would handle in this case)?

nobody knows
10-27-11, 00:11
I like the trijicons for that vary reason(small trit inserts) but I think I'm going to go with an all black 10-8 rear. Coupled with the HD front should be a good combo.

AngeredKabar
10-27-11, 07:05
I've never shot with sights having no white rear dots. What's the purpose of handgun sights having them from the factory, just to see easier in low light (which the tritium would handle in this case)?

Maybe it helps some people focus on the front sight?

SiGfever
10-28-11, 14:03
On my G19 I have the ProGlo front and the yellow Operator rear, I find this to be very quick to acquire. Most of my other night sights are Meps but I prefer the Ameriglo setup.

I will be trying a set of Heine Straight Eights on my USPc soon.

aaron_c
10-28-11, 14:35
Yeah I order the green/yellow operators this morning from LG Outdoors, excited to get them on and see how I like them.