PDA

View Full Version : Military to LEO/SWAT Experiences

J8127
10-26-11, 07:38
Gents, I'm exploring some career options and wondering what it has been like for others who have gone from military to LEO. I am mostly interested in a big city with a full time SWAT (yes I know its extremely competitive and you have to earn your place on patrol first). Specifically Miami or somewhere in Texas.

I don't mind being busy or working a lot but I am tired of deploying every single year and I'm starting to get the "I cant do this much longer" speeches from HH6. She can handle a lot of hours, just not being out of town about 8-10 months a year.

Does the politics and the bullshit prevalent in the military exist on the LEO side as much? The golden children, the ass-kissing, injust/unfair treatment etc... That's what I find most frustrating myself. Do you regret getting out and going that direction?

Appreciate any input, if anyone has done this recently (im sure many have) and especially anyone who got into a SWAT style team I would really appreciate your stories/advice.

Abraxas
10-26-11, 07:55
Some departments are better than others, but there is always some ass kissing, politics, general bs involved. It is a whole different ball game though, some of your experience will help you, other parts you will have to throw away and learn something new.

J8127
10-26-11, 08:51
Just to clarify I don't expect my military expirience to really get me anywhere, I'm fully aware its not a free ride to a SWAT team or a good assignment or anything like that.

Appreciate the input though, trying to get a feeler for making the switch.

C-grunt
10-26-11, 10:35
I think its a good and easy transition. Lots of the same camaraderie. You do have to watch your back and be more PC than in the .mil as the higher ups will hang you out to dry to look good in front of the media.

I havent made it on our SWAT team, dont even really think I want to, but from what I have heard there is a lot of personal sacrifice there too. Obviously not as much as a deployment though. You will get a lot of call outs in the middle of the night and on holidays. One of the guys who left SWAT to return to patrol was saying that he had finally got a Thanksgiving off and had a call out right after he sat down to eat.

Patrol is the bread and butter of police work. It might not be as high speed as SWAT but it still is pretty fun.

Oscar 319
10-26-11, 11:02
Beaware, that any department you choose, you will be required to bust your balls (for several years in most cases) in Patrol before you are elligable to test for SWAT/Spec Ops.

The first requirement (or should be) for a SWAT Officer, is that the potenetial team member is a well rounded and experienced officer/deputy/trooper.

*ETA* I see you already made note of that in your initial post.

4x4twenty6
10-26-11, 15:14
I was never in the military but I can tell you that there is a whole lot of ass kissing that goes on in the LEO world. I worked patrol and was on SWAT with my last dept. My dept said you can not be eligible for advancement from the patrol division till after you complete 2 years on patrol. I was able to make SWAT as an operator with 18 months on the road. Ours was a part time team only, on call 24/7.

I knew a bunch of the guys on the team that i worked with in my district and others i worked with that are detectives. I was fortunate enough to work with our street crimes unit while i was assigned to the jail waiting to start on the road doing transport. I got involved in some shit with them and handled my self well. I also was involved in multiple SWAT rolls as a responding patrol officer because of the area I worked. So the team had a good idea who i was and the guys i had worked with directly vouched for me. I stay fit and shoot well and i was able to get a unanimous vote from the team members.

I didnt get my self involved with politics in the dept and I am not the ass kissing type. I had been suspended 3 times prior to making the team for bullshit. I was able to explain my self and the team captains obviously agreed that my suspensions were excessive. I was on good terms with everyone I came in contact with through out the dept and generally did a good job with all reports and kicked it up a notch when it counted.

Detectives and other Officers new who I was and new that I was a solid guy and word of mouth helped me out. SWAT wants guys who want to be there and give there all.

Other officers on the dept will talk shit about swat officers. It is a given. Most of them because they will never make it. So try and get past all of that trash talking and remember you have to do what is best for you. Dont let anyone discourage you. I had a few friends that talked shit about the team saying it was a popularity contest but it was there personality that caused them to miss out on the opportunity. They couldnt put their ego aside and realize that they would have made it if they would have taken it seriously.

Good Luck. Law Enforcement is fun but a lot of people dont make it past the first 5 years. Its not for everyone.

C-grunt
10-26-11, 15:40
Good Luck. Law Enforcement is fun but a lot of people dont make it past the first 5 years. Its not for everyone.

This is true. Have a back up plan. Most people dont quit because of the action and danger which is what everyone outside of LEO thinks is the most stressful part. Its the psychological stuff that gets to people. I woud rather go to a bank robbery in progress than interview a 16 year old girl who was raped or talk to a family that found their 10 year old hanging in the closet. That shit sucks.

ST911
10-26-11, 16:08
I can't tell you a thing about transitioning from a mil unit to a major metro PD, esp to its SWAT-type unit. I can tell you that the world is the same everywhere. There are politics, golden children, suck-ups, whipping-posts, good and bad leadership/management/supervision, and BS in every organization of every industry. Tolerability, quantities, and particular flavors of nonsense will vary.

My advice:

For best success in any environment, esp the LE one, mind your MOUTH, mind your BOOZE, and mind your ZIPPER. If you can manage those three temptations, you can go far.

Know who you are, who you are willing to be, and who you are not willing to be.

Always have a plan for life after LE. The overwhelming majority of folks who start a LE career won't retire in it. Develop yourself educationally, professionally, and more than anything else...personally.

Good luck.

J8127
10-26-11, 16:43
I greatly appreciate the feedback.

4x4twenty6
10-26-11, 19:08
Great advice thus far.
Especially from skintop911
For best success in any environment, esp the LE one, mind your MOUTH, mind your BOOZE, and mind your ZIPPER. If you can manage those three temptations, you can go far.