PDA

View Full Version : How far can you effectivley shoot with aimpoint 3x magnifier behind a red dot!?

jyy0003
10-26-11, 07:39
I just ordered a aimpoint 3x magnifier but have not got to use it yet. I was just seeing if anyone here has tested the distance to see how far you can effectively engage a target.

(I didn't know where else to post something like this on the forum so I just posted it here)

ICANHITHIMMAN
10-26-11, 09:21
duplicate

ICANHITHIMMAN
10-26-11, 09:23
300 meters should be a no brainer. I think there was a thread about this or a spin off in another thread about where you needed to hold at diffrent ranges with the aimpoint. If you have a spoter they can walk you in.

rezin23
10-26-11, 10:43
You should have no problems from 200-300 yards with a 3X.

Crow Hunter
10-26-11, 11:10
I just ordered a aimpoint 3x magnifier but have not got to use it yet. I was just seeing if anyone here has tested the distance to see how far you can effectively engage a target.

(I didn't know where else to post something like this on the forum so I just posted it here)

How well can you judge distance and hold over? I am terrible at it.

The disadvantage of the magnifier is that all it does is make things look 3X closer.

You don't have any turrets for comeups, you don't have any reference points to hold over to. You just have to look at your target, guess how far away it is and hold the dot in space over the target based on your known ballistic trajectory and hope it intersects where you think it will.

In my mind the 3X is more of an aid for improving your target discrimination (helping you see your target), rather than increasing your range.

Unless of course you have built in laser range finding eyes and downloaded the latest ballistic solutions for your load into your wetware.:D

Me, I just sight it in so it is +/- 3 inches out to 300 yards and put the dot in the center of what I want to hit and pull the trigger.

If it is smaller than that, or further than 300, or I need to be more precise. I bring a different gun with a different optic. :D

If that is the only gun I have with me at the time. Without a magnifier I can see the impact of the rounds and adjust myself out to 550 yards or so.

BCmJUnKie
10-26-11, 11:46
The red dot with magnifier is not meant for precise reference mil-dot and holdover reference... its a red dot.

This is where we get into using the proper tools for spcific jobs.

I use a magnifier on my M4 and I have no problem reaching out to 250.

The M4 however has a Comp M3, that 4 moa dot gets really big out at 300 (depending on your target) and how precise you are shooting.

If youre looking for a man size killshot then I dont see any problems at all.

If youre looking at groups on an 8" target, expect the dot to cover the entire target

TomMcC
10-26-11, 16:27
I would think it all depends on how big your target is, and how well you see.

Do you have 20/20, 20 yr old eyes? Is your target man or squirrel sized? Are you looking for combat or some other type of accuracy?

Justin
10-26-11, 17:51
I've been messing around with a similar EOTECH setup, and after getting the optic zeroed was able to make hits on a steel USPSA-sized target out to ~400 yards or so by holding the dot on the head of the target.

Weirdly enough, even though the gun was properly sighted in, I found that hitting closer targets was very hard due to the point of impact being much higher.

Whether this was due to the zero wandering or my crappy shooting, I don't know, and I need to get back out to the range to figure out what happened.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Failure2Stop
10-26-11, 19:02
As TomMcC said it depends on a few things:

What distance are you zeroed for?
What size target are you trying to hit?
Do you have a consistent point that you can hold on?

FWIW- with a 100 meter zero I can consistently hit a torso sized target out to 300 meters from the prone/magazine monopod without having to hold-over excessively (hold about 12" high). It is definately possible to hit at further ranges once you establish your wind call and hold-over, but under real world conditions it's pretty difficult to do so in a timely manner without scaring off whatever it is you are trying to poke holes in.