PDA

View Full Version : magpul moe FSB cutout handguard

trinydex
10-26-11, 16:35
i feel like if such a handguard existed it would perfectly fill an existing void (this is my opinion). in my opinion, the moe handguards are great becuase theyre simple and replace a non-rail-handguard with a simple installation process that doesn't require removing the fsb. they also do not carry much of a weight penalty.

the problem that i see with the typical carbine legnth handguards is that they are short.

the best fsb cutout handguard options seem to all revolve around full float and removing the fsb for installation (ala daniel defense).

imho a magpul moe handguard that is a direct, snap-in replacement for a typical colt carbine-length-gas-system rifle would be pretty epic.

is a two piece plastic moe handguard with an fsb cutout even geometrically possible? i don't know anything about handguard design, so i'm conceding that i may be wrong in assuming that such a thing is even possible to produce.

does anyone think this is a good idea? do any priveledged insiders know if this is already in the works?

i hope this post is less confusing and less ??hostile?? than my last one.

jsummers
10-26-11, 17:24
You want Magpul to make something like this? I doubt it will work the way you want it to, and quite frankly, doesn't seem very useful or helpful unless you need the extra space to mount something.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=66

trinydex
10-26-11, 17:32
Oh gosh that thing looks awful and useless, why is the bottom missing? There must be a dd patent for rails that have that silhouette.

I was thinking that a moe with fsb cutout would look exactly like the moe does now but longer and with a cutout for the fsb

richdkim77
10-26-11, 18:10
Didn't you just have a similar thread today that was just locked?

jsummers
10-26-11, 18:32
It won't work because of the way handguards are attached and held onto a rifle, by pressure from the delta ring and the handguard cap. You said it yourself, you don't know how handguards work. Think about it for a while and then you'll firgure it out.

If you want a longer handguard, then go with a dissipator or get a monger barrel.

glocktogo
10-26-11, 22:41
It won't work because of the way handguards are attached and held onto a rifle, by pressure from the delta ring and the handguard cap. You said it yourself, you don't know how handguards work. Think about it for a while and then you'll firgure it out.

If you want a longer handguard, then go with a dissipator or get a monger barrel.

Actually, he might not be as far off base as one would think. If you look at how the MOE top portion attaches and then envelops the rear portion of the FSB, it might not be too much for the polymer to be extended beyond the FSB and wrap back around to the top. Then extend the lower out underneath to support the top. With a molded in rail on top, you could mount an X300 or TLR1 at 12:00 forward of the FSB, and incorporate the small handstop at the front of the lower half. It would work just like a DD 12.0 FSP, but much less expensive.

https://danieldefense.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/o/m/omegax12fsp_545x409_.jpg

trinydex
10-27-11, 00:43
^ a much more imaginative man

rocketman
10-27-11, 11:31
At a minimum I was thinking of something more like a Magpul version of the C-4 Carbine Cutout rail. You guys know it's a 2 piece rail with a cutout on the top for the FSB. Magpul wouldn't have a problem figuring how to modify the current magpul MOE mounting system to make that work. (and yes I do understand how it works)

To me it seems like that might be an in-expensive and viable option for people like me who are just looking to mount a light and move things further out so I can drive from the front of a carbine. I believe that the material Magpul uses is plenty stout enough to make it work too.

I'm certain a C-4 or a DD 12.0 would more than suite my needs but as good as I know it to be I don't see why I need to pay $280 and modify my weapon just to move my hand position and a light further out on the barrel.

I think a $60.00 - $80.00 "Magpul Carbine Cutout" would sell like hotcakes

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd270/rocketman_photos_2007/carbine20cutout20right20side-Lg.jpg

Stickman
10-28-11, 12:15
I think it is certainly doable, I'm just not sure how large of a market there would be for it.

glocktogo
10-28-11, 22:16
I think it is certainly doable, I'm just not sure how large of a market there would be for it.

If they set it up where the rail would mount an X300 or TLR-1 low enough to not obstruct any of the iron sight picture, I think it would sell well.

TunaFisherman
10-28-11, 22:44
Didn't you just have a similar thread today that was just locked?

Yes he did. The same Magpul question.....

jtc556
10-29-11, 07:50
I have been thinking of the same thing except for a mid-length. It is a valid question.

munch520
10-29-11, 09:58

Good point. Even if they came out with a cutout (at a $50-60 price point maybe?), the end user would still need to install a rail section forward of the FSB for a white light. Since the MOE customers are budget conscious, would this price Magpul out of their target market? I think so. Plus with IWCs light mounts and MIs FSP mount, I'm not sure if MOE customers are desiring another option? Personally, I'm not.