PDA

View Full Version : How to convert to .223 Wylde?

.Scarecrow.
10-26-11, 19:18
What are the steps to convert a rifle to .223 Wylde?

steelonsteel
10-26-11, 21:45
I'm no expert, but I would think a chamber reamer on a .223 chamber would be it yeah?

skyugo
10-27-11, 00:44
i think a fair question is "why?"

MistWolf
10-27-11, 05:12
The important question is "from what?"

I believe if the chamber is a SAAMI 223 (which is getting scarce these days) a chamber reamer will do it. If it's a 5.56 NATO chamber, the barrel would need to be replaced

.Scarecrow.
10-27-11, 06:21
Uhmm, because it allows you to shoot 5.56 and .223 more accurately than just a 5.56. I'm not for sure doing it yet, I just hear how its a smarter chambering.

bp7178
10-27-11, 07:18
What kind of precision are you getting now, and with what type of ammo?

markm
10-27-11, 07:57
If you're after precision, I'd just get the barrel you want as opposed to modifiying your current barrel.

Failure2Stop
10-27-11, 13:10
Converting to .223 Wylde?
1- Remove current barrel
2- Install match barrel with .223 Wylde chamber

One of the reasons that .223 Wylde chambers are desirable is that they are put into very good match barrels. Putting a .223 Wylde into a trash barrel isn't going to do much. Personally, for AR application, I would prefer to have one of the better precision combat barrels such as those offered by BCM, Noveske, and LaRue (to name 3).

.Scarecrow.
10-27-11, 14:22
Converting to .223 Wylde?
1- Remove current barrel
2- Install match barrel with .223 Wylde chamber

One of the reasons that .223 Wylde chambers are desirable is that they are put into very good match barrels. Putting a .223 Wylde into a trash barrel isn't going to do much. Personally, for AR application, I would prefer to have one of the better precision combat barrels such as those offered by BCM, Noveske, and LaRue (to name 3).

The thing about Noveske barrels though is you can't use a regular AR gas block with front sights though right?

skyugo
10-27-11, 14:41
The thing about Noveske barrels though is you can't use a regular AR gas block with front sights though right?

a precision rig with irons eh?
they appear to only offer their stainless barrels with a lowpro gas block..

Quite a few guys here shooting tiny groups with 5.56 chambers. The AR15 is probably the most accurate semi auto platform in its weight class.

what's your current setup? what are you trying to accomplish? I'd hate to see you ream a barrel or dump a bunch of money on a noveske barrel (they are sweet though) if it won't get you where you want to be.

Failure2Stop
10-27-11, 14:45

I just use a HG that extends past the GB and use a rail mounted front sight. Really, it's a non-issue, unless you are shooting service-rifle competition.

.Scarecrow.
10-27-11, 16:04
a precision rig with irons eh?
they appear to only offer their stainless barrels with a lowpro gas block..

Quite a few guys here shooting tiny groups with 5.56 chambers. The AR15 is probably the most accurate semi auto platform in its weight class.

what's your current setup? what are you trying to accomplish? I'd hate to see you ream a barrel or dump a bunch of money on a noveske barrel (they are sweet though) if it won't get you where you want to be.

Well, I haven't purchased a rifle yet. I am fairly new to Ar-15's. I don't know Everything yet. I'm just doing as much research as I can so I can make a smart choice. Right now I am looking at a DD M4 V2. I like them because of the torture test video. I'm getting one because I just like Ar-15's and also for a SHTF gun. I basically want a gun that's going to be effective to at MOST, 250 yards If that. more likely 200 yards. Some advise on good rounds would be cool too. But please not just the names of the bullets, I mean brand of ammunition. I know some of the good bullets though, like Hornady OTM, Sierra MatchKing BTHP, and a couple more. So if you could be so generous, I'd appreciate it. Thanks guys

MistWolf
10-27-11, 17:20
Nearly all AR barrels will be either 5.56, .223 Wylde, or a variation thereof and will safely shoot both 5.56 and .223 Remington. Accuracy for defensive purposes will be more than good enough either way

skyugo
10-27-11, 20:27
Well, I haven't purchased a rifle yet. I am fairly new to Ar-15's. I don't know Everything yet. I'm just doing as much research as I can so I can make a smart choice. Right now I am looking at a DD M4 V2. I like them because of the torture test video. I'm getting one because I just like Ar-15's and also for a SHTF gun. I basically want a gun that's going to be effective to at MOST, 250 yards If that. more likely 200 yards. Some advise on good rounds would be cool too. But please not just the names of the bullets, I mean brand of ammunition. I know some of the good bullets though, like Hornady OTM, Sierra MatchKing BTHP, and a couple more. So if you could be so generous, I'd appreciate it. Thanks guys

daniel defense makes a very nice gun, i think you'll be extremely happy with the accuracy out of the box. Generally speaking a 5.56 chamber will be a little more reliable than a wylde, as it's a bit looser, so dirt buildup won't effect it as much. I've yet to see an AR that didn't produce decent groups with a good shooter. I don't think you'll be at all disappointed with the accuracy.

I'd start out with whatever surplus type ammo you can get at a good price. put some rounds downrange. Wolf ammo isn't a bad thing either for the money... Personally i shoot mostly reloads... 15-20 cents a round, very good accuracy, and you get to learn something. I shoot a lot of hornady 55 grain FMJ bullets on top of ramshot TAC powder.
Really though, inside of 200 yards, especially if you're shooting at silhouette targts or trying to push the envelope on speed at all, accuracy will not be a problem.

ST911
10-27-11, 22:47
Are you capable of actually shooting the difference between a chamber cut for 5.56, Wylde, and .223?

If you need that precision, get a purpose-built known-good barrel.

bp7178
10-27-11, 23:04
I'd start out with whatever surplus type ammo you can get at a good price. put some rounds downrange. Wolf ammo isn't a bad thing either for the money... Personally i shoot mostly reloads... 15-20 cents a round, very good accuracy, and you get to learn something. I shoot a lot of hornady 55 grain FMJ bullets on top of ramshot TAC powder.

With surplus ammo, anything with a wolf or bear on it, or with 55 FMJs, the difference between a 5.56mm and Wylde is nil.

Ammunition is probably a bigger factor to accuracy than chamber cuts in most cases.

skyugo
10-28-11, 01:15
With surplus ammo, anything with a wolf or bear on it, or with 55 FMJs, the difference between a 5.56mm and Wylde is nil.

Ammunition is probably a bigger factor to accuracy than chamber cuts in most cases.

my point was that most of us aren't outshooting our rifles even with surplus ammo or wolf...

bp7178
10-28-11, 10:08
my point was that most of us aren't outshooting our rifles even with surplus ammo or wolf...

Defenietly not.

Hornady arguably makes probably the best 55gr FMJ round, but its by no means match ammunition.