PDA

View Full Version : scope for mid/long range?

jsf343
10-26-11, 22:20
I have a astigmatism and am interested in finding a scope that would be good for short, mid and long range for my AR. Is there anything even made for this type of set-up or what would be the closest thing for something like this?

I have just stated in my search and like the Acog scopes although I don't know a lot about them yet other then what I read tonight, and they are BIG $$$, but it looks like there is an option for all three or at least short/long range.

Thoughts?

Belmont31R
10-26-11, 22:30
Some sort of variable is the only thing that really works in one optic for both close in, med, and LR.

I have pretty successfully shot a 4X out to 750 yards. But its a compromise between what works best for specific applications and what will be serviceable for all 3.

Also not what sure what your definition is of LR. To me in a 5.56 750 yards is long range but medium range for a dude with a 338 Lapua, and anything under 400 is CQB to them.

You can also look into getting a more dedicated LR optic like something with a ~10X top end and some sort of offset RDS like an Aimpoint T1.

ACOG's are great combat optics for 50-500 yards but the BDC is setup for specific military rifles and ammunition. They may not be accurate for you, and you end up like some guys trying to handloads to match the BDC. For military use BDC works great as everyone is using the same guns and ammunition. For us not so great as we have hundreds of rounds to choose from, barrel lengths, ect. I would not want to be limited by chasing a BDC as a civilian.

broylz
10-26-11, 22:44
for all around shooting, id go with something like a 3-gun type setup and run a vortex viper PST scope with a vortex SPARC on a 45 offset mount. look into the 2.5-10x or maybe a 4-16x scope.

jsf343
10-26-11, 23:20
Some sort of variable is the only thing that really works in one optic for both close in, med, and LR.

I have pretty successfully shot a 4X out to 750 yards. But its a compromise between what works best for specific applications and what will be serviceable for all 3.

Also not what sure what your definition is of LR. To me in a 5.56 750 yards is long range but medium range for a dude with a 338 Lapua, and anything under 400 is CQB to them.

You can also look into getting a more dedicated LR optic like something with a ~10X top end and some sort of offset RDS like an Aimpoint T1.

ACOG's are great combat optics for 50-500 yards but the BDC is setup for specific military rifles and ammunition. They may not be accurate for you, and you end up like some guys trying to handloads to match the BDC. For military use BDC works great as everyone is using the same guns and ammunition. For us not so great as we have hundreds of rounds to choose from, barrel lengths, ect. I would not want to be limited by chasing a BDC as a civilian.

good input. I agree with you on the 750 LR and really can't see myself doing a whole ton of shooting beyond that range. I read a couple other threads about the Aimpoints and that was my next stop.

Failure2Stop
10-27-11, 00:30
Really, you need to decide what is your most important application and match your first/primary optic to that.
There are otics that do short range very well, and nothing else will out perform them at that. There are others that cover mid and long range, and nothing else will out perform them at that. There are optics that will cover short and mid-range (where the real applicability of the AR lies), but there will be some compromise in each on order to do adequately at both, and the same applies to mid/long range.

One thing to consider is what do you consider each of those to be, and what are your targets at those ranges?
I can easily shoot 1,000 meters with any optic, the question is: what can I hit?
Likewise, I can shoot anything at 3 meters, but how long is it going to take me to do it, and environmental and lighting conditions will dramatically effect the time necessary to achieve acceptable hits.

For 5.56 guns I consider 0 to 100 meters to be close range, 100 to 300 to be mid-range, and 300 to 600 to be long range. Those catagories are based off of my targets as much as the linear distance. There is a book's worth (or at least a thick chapter) of discussion in that topic, and going through it all over the internet would fail to do it justice, so it bolis down to a few questions that need to be truthfully answered:

What do you need to hit?
At what distances are you most likely to need to engage from?
What is the closest you might need to get hits?
Is there a difference in time requirements or target size with proximity?
Where are you at the highest risk?
Do you have vision issues that preclude the use of certain optics? (I see that you have astigmatism, but can you still use an Aimpoint/EoTech for close range or is it out of the question?)
What are your durability/robustness requirements?
What areas are you willing to compromise?
How much are you willing to spend?

And remember, what works for me might not be your answer.

lifebreath
10-27-11, 10:41
What others said. The only thing I'd add is that a variable power 1-4X or 1-6X is probably the simplest solution, although they can be a little heavier and the weight will distribute bit more out front. Also, some reticules are not designed well to do all things. For example, I have a Trijicon TR24 1-4X that I love for up close out to 300 max. It absolutely rocks for anything 200 meters and in. Beyond that, the reticle has no good mechanism for holdovers.

I'd take a serious look at the SWFA 1-4X scopes here: SFWA scopes (http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Scopes-C1719.aspx). I've heard very good things about this scope, and it's illuminated first focal plane mil-based reticles and .10 mRad turrets are especially appealing at the price point.

anthony1
10-28-11, 04:49
Well the first thing with scopes is whats your budget?

Stormrider
10-28-11, 12:02
The best compromise for me was a 2.5x10 for my 6.8. I use the same scope on my other 5.56 and 300 BLK AR rilfes, too. I use a GG&G Accucam mount so I can switch rifles easily. It's a little heavy and bigger than other compact optics but it works for me.

Nightvisionary
11-04-11, 04:54
Any of the Leupold MK 4 mid range tactical scopes are worth a look. The military is using a lot of them in the designated marksman role. Although if the price of an ACOG is out of your budget a MK 4 probably will be as well.

jsf343
11-04-11, 12:52
Any of the Leupold MK 4 mid range tactical scopes are worth a look. The military is using a lot of them in the designated marksman role. Although if the price of an ACOG is out of your budget a MK 4 probably will be as well.

I'll check them out. Thanks.

Team Chuck Norris
11-04-11, 17:21
for all around shooting, id go with something like a 3-gun type setup and run a vortex viper PST scope with a vortex SPARC on a 45 offset mount. look into the 2.5-10x or maybe a 4-16x scope.

This is an example of the best route. Of course there is considerable additional expense with a scope, base/rings, rds, and rds mount, but this combination works very well. From the OP there is no indication of the distances involved. Long distance to some is 200 yards while to others 200 yards is considered close - and this is all with the AR 5.56 platform. If cost is a limiting factor, then a variable 1-4 would be best. With a better budget, in general terms, a scope and a rds is better.

cspackler
11-15-11, 01:34
Although I don't have any of them myself, I have shot with the Nikon M223 (1-4) and I believe that series may be what you're looking for. Good quality for under $500 and the 3 offerings pretty much answer your question. I'd say 1-4 if you shoot a lot under 200m, 2-8 for 100m-400m, and 3-12 if most of your shooting will be over 300m (or if you like bench shooting for groups).

JackFanToM
11-15-11, 11:56
My main platform has a Eotech on it, but for reaching out and touching something at distances over 250 yards I pull out my Leupold 3-9 VX R. The Leupold is substantially less expensive than the ACOGs (around $500 + $150 for the LaRue mount). I have the ability to flip on some illumination if I choose, but in use I rarely need the illumination due to the clarity of the glass. The scope can also have special elevation turrets ordered that are specific to certain grain ammo for the m4 platform (I didn't bother, as the normal turrets have been super easy to calculate and adjust with the 1/4 MOA clicks). A variable optic is going to add weight vs. a aimpoint or eotech. Another option you have is a aimpoint or eotech with a 3x magnifier that can flip out of the way. With mounts this will cost you near what an ACOG will, or maybe slightly more.
Once you identify your needs and price range...go look at them in person. I chose the eotech over the aimpoint based on nothing more than the reticle, feel, speed in which I can acquire targets with both, and the fact that with my eyes I had a harder time getting a clear sight picture with the aimpoint - each person is different, and the vast majority of folks on this forum prefer the battery life, durability, weight, and ease of use that accompanies an aimpoint. If you choose an optic based on someone else's personal preference you are more likely than not going to be disappointed, and if you make a purchase based solely on written research....well you know the saying regarding a fool and his money....

60buckscash
11-29-11, 10:33
If budget is your concern and you are looking to find a versital piece of glass I would encourage you to look at the Nikon ProStaff line. I have a 2-7x on my AR right now. I find it easy to work with at 10-200yds. For up close shooting I find the 2x setting allows me to shoot with both eyes open and still shoot quickly and accuratly. The 7x then allows me a great sight picture at 200yds (limit of the range).

TAZ
12-04-11, 17:39
If you're on an unlimited budget snag a MK8 or a 1-8 or 1-10 and run with it. If you're on a budget you can get something in the 2.5-10 or 3-9 range and add some form of reflex or red dot in an offset mount. The 2.5 or 3 power would let you run relatively close if needed while the budget builds up for the red dot or reflex. That was my path. Ran an IOR 2.5-10 for a year or so and now I can add an RMR for the up close and personal stuff.

Cagemonkey
12-04-11, 18:37
I put one of these on my rifle. http://www.fitsmybudget.com/Leupold-Mark-4-MR-T-2.5-8x36-M2-TMR-Rifle-Scope-LP60180-p-27674.html. These guys had the best deal I could find. I called Leupold and the scope I got is legit. The only downside is that it only comes with a 7.62 NATO BDC turret. I got to call the Leupold Custom Shop and get a 5.56mm BDC made. I has a long 3 inch eye relief so you'll want an extended mount for your AR. Just sighted it in today with some Blackhills blue box 77 gr. So far I'm pretty happy with this scope.

JBJ
12-05-11, 01:17
Have you looked at the Leupold VX-R patrol 3-9? It's a 30mm tube with the TMR reticle, MIL adjustments and a lighted dot in the center of the crosshairs for $599.

I should have mine this week. I've read a lot of good things about this scope. Looking forward to getting it mounted up and out to the 600 yard range on my new upper. I'll try to get some pictures if it warms up around here.