PDA

View Full Version : Stock Saddle Options...

Pax
10-26-11, 22:42
Alright gentlemen. I'm looking for a 12" LOP stock for my 590A1 SPX. Here's the kicker: It has to securely hold at least 4 rounds on or in it.

Options:

1. Hogue 12" LOP Stock with ST Leathercraft 4 round carrier.
- This option is sub-ideal to me since it involves leather alone, a material I have far less trust in than many other available options, but also because I doubt this design's retention abilities and would definitely prefer a SpeedFeed I style arrangement, if the LOP could be addressed...

2. SpeedFeed I Stock, cut down to ~13" LOP
- Best option in my mind... If it is possible. Which I doubt. Ive been able to find only skirting mentions of this being done in my research, and that was on TOS. Hopefully someone here who knows the internals of SpeedFeed I's can offer some insight into how much length I can take off it.

3. Hogue 12" LOP Stock with Mesa Tactical 4 rounder
- Why not. In theory... Im thinking belt sander on the stock to flatten the surface a bit. Then drill through, find some properly-sized bolts and locking washers at Home Depot, maybe open up the holes in the SureShell carrier's mounting bracket a bit if necessary annnd... Viola. Bolt it through the stock. If I could make it secure, I'd feel a lot more comfortable with it on my gun than with the Leathercraft product. Thats just me.

I'd like to avoid elastic on this gun if at all possible. I am well aware that I could just slap some elastic carrier on a short LOP stock, cut it to fit if necessary and be more or less good to go. However, given past experiences with elastic gear, I'd like to get something with a little better long-term durability if possible.

Thanks for any help guys.

Dexter
10-28-11, 13:32
What about putting a 3GG side saddle on the stock?

Pax
10-29-11, 03:59
Like I said, I'll only resort to what I consider to be temporary solutions, such as elastic shell holders, if its the last option. I was hoping someone knew more about cutting down SpeedFeed Is than I do, or that someone had a solution I had not yet heard of. But as they are, I think that bolting a Mesa Tactical SureShell Holder through a Hogue stock is the best of the options, or at least worth a try.