PDA

View Full Version : CZ firing pin block removal

ruchik
10-27-11, 04:42
I have a CZ 75 compact that has a firing pin block in it, and want to run it with a Shadow full length slide. The only problem is, the firing block needs to be removed first. Now as I understand it, the previous CZ's did not have one, and neither did the previous Series 70 1911's or BHP's. I plan on using this for SD. Any potential legal issues aside, is this unsafe to do? The previous guns I mentioned went through global conflicts no problem, but I would like to be sure. I see no potential issues as mine can be carried cocked and locked, should still be safe as long as proper handling is observed.

AngeredKabar
10-27-11, 06:52
Shadows don't come with a firing pin block I don't think. There's a little arm in the sear pack in your compact, opposite the ejector. That will normally push up on the button in the bottom of the slide and deactivate the firing pin block.

I don't know if you'll get a horrible or unusable trigger if it has nothing to push up on, and I don't think you can just remove it from the sear pack because it might make things too sloppy. You might be able to swap in a sear pack that doesn't have one but I'm sure that'll require fitting, and if you have to ask, you probably can't just go out to the garage and do it.

As far as legal issues... You're gonna have to look up some case law in your state, if it even exists.

Now if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't bother with all that.

ruchik
10-27-11, 07:12
I have researched this extensively, and you actually can just remove the firing block. In fact, it makes the trigger smoother with less reset. It's a common practice amongst competition CZ users. The Shadow has no FB, which is why I have to remove the block and associated parts from the compact. I was just wondering if this is particularlu unsafe, in light of how many previous, proven fighting guns had no firing pin block, like.older 1911's and BHP's.

An Undocumented Worker
10-27-11, 11:30
To be quite simple, I would not run a 75b for self defense with the firing pin block removed.

The only valid reason to remove the firing pin block is to shorten the reset. To even make that a valid reason, you'd want to install the competition hammer. At which point you have to refit the safety leg of the sear.

Even then you can still modify the the firing pin block lifter to get it to reset sooner with the competition hammer, though you do run the timing of lifting the block so close that you really need to be careful that it doesn't block the pin even after the trigger breaks.

After all that is said and done though, the trigger is below four pounds of pull, and breaks so clean and quick that I would not feel comfortable using it for SD.

For self defense the stock trigger,sear, fpb, and hammer are great. You can still clean up the trigger pull by polishing the sear cage where the trigger bar rides against it, and polishing the bore of the firing pin block.

For range use/competition i have a 75b with the competition hammer and all the timing reset, from the sear, disconnector, and firing pin block lifter. I can't even tell when I engage the fpbl on that pistol. I will carry it occasionally but leave the hammer down in double action mode.

Generaly I carry my PCR with the only work being done was polishing the sear cage, trigger bar and other small interal parts. It still requires the normal amount of trigger pull in SA just smoother, and after 2500 rounds the fpb has smoothed out aswell.

So for self defense leave the fpb alone, it doesn't degrade the trigger pull enough to make it worth the risk.

AngeredKabar
10-27-11, 17:19
Here is a situation where no firing pin safety block could be dangerous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80a0jH2dBOo

The big issue is the hammer falls all the way on decock. It might be a very rare problem and one that may only happen on decocker CZ models, but should that somehow happen and you don't have a firing pin safety, BANG.

MegademiC
10-28-11, 11:42
for competition, a SAO trigger with FPblock removed and comp hammer is ideal. For carry, I would definitely keep the fpblock. Shit can happen and it makes sure, even if there is a mechanical failure, your still safe. There is no reason to remove it for carry/combat. I installed a SAO trigger on mine since the other trigger made the reach too short. That and a sear polish is as far as I'd go.

That said, ive never had an ND and am as safe as possible, but we are all human and shit does happen. Its best to keep all the safeties possible, especially something you wont notice outside of competitions.

EDIT: Im pretty sure you can run the shadow slide with the FPblock lever still installed. The shadow shouldnt have one so you can compete with shadow slide and swap slides for carry and still have the FPBlock.

railroader
10-28-11, 17:06
To use the shadow slide you need to remove the lifter and replace it with a spacer or a pre B sear. CZusa sells pre B sears for $9. CZ custom sells the spacer for $3.00. As for having a FPB my sp-01 shadow didn't come with one from the factory just like my kimber custom didn't either. Mark

ruchik
10-29-11, 11:52
I appreciate the replies. I'm pretty dead set on getting using a longer slide on my compact, as I'd like the longer sight radius. It would be akin to doing a grip chop on a Glock, XD, or M&P. The only way I could keep the FPB in there is to buy a whole 'nother CZ 75, and then swap the slides. The reason I asked about the Shadow slide is because I can just purchase the entire slide assembly and drop it in, which makes life a lot simpler and I don't end up with another gun I would never use.

Nephrology
10-29-11, 18:11
I appreciate the replies. I'm pretty dead set on getting using a longer slide on my compact, as I'd like the longer sight radius.

For what? Self defense? Do you really think you're goin to notice that fractional increase in sight radius when you are drawing a gun because your life is in danger?

ruchik
10-29-11, 22:03
Because that's what I want, it's my gun and my money??

An Undocumented Worker
10-30-11, 11:00
You came here for advice, and what you want doesn't seem to fit the mission.

ck1
10-30-11, 12:50
Whatever you want to do is your prerogative, but almost 100% sure a Shadow slide will not work on a CZ compact frame.
My 75 Shadow slide would not work on a compact .40 frame (think P-01 with a safety instead of decocker).

Your best bet is just installing a CZCustoms competition hammer, a 13lb hammer-spring, and extended firing pin.

And... yes, removing the FPB on a carry gun is a bad move, it will help the pull a little (and the reset a lot), but on an SD gun it'll also mean that if you end up using it defensively that you'll be going to jail for a while and getting your pants sued off for deliberately and knowingly deactivating a safety feature.

I wouldn't go that far on a gun you may carry (FPB removal), it isn't worth it just for a shorter reset when the hammer and a couple other things will get you nearly there.

railroader
10-30-11, 15:00
Whatever you want to do is your prerogative, but almost 100% sure a Shadow slide will not work on a CZ compact frame.
My 75 Shadow slide would not work on a compact .40 frame (think P-01 with a safety instead of decocker).

Your best bet is just installing a CZCustoms competition hammer, a 13lb hammer-spring, and extended firing pin.

And... yes, removing the FPB on a carry gun is a bad move, it will help the pull a little (and the reset a lot), but on an SD gun it'll also mean that if you end up using it defensively that you'll be going to jail for a while and getting your pants sued off for deliberately and knowingly deactivating a safety feature.

I wouldn't go that far on a gun you may carry (FPB removal), it isn't worth it just for a shorter reset when the hammer and a couple other things will get you nearly there.

I just checked my shadow slide is on my 75 compact as I type. My compact has a pre B sear and it is fine with the shadow slide. As for the removing the FPB, the shadow slide never had one so how do you remove it?

ck1
10-30-11, 15:35
I just checked my shadow slide is on my 75 compact as I type. My compact has a pre B sear and it is fine with the shadow slide. As for the removing the FPB, the shadow slide never had one so how do you remove it?

That's cool that it works, neato.

No need to be a jerk, think you know what I mean, "FPB lifter" would be the exact term/part that would be changed as CZ compacts all have FPB's in unaltered stock configuration.

Putting together a hybrid slide/frame config'd gun for carry just sounds like an unnecessary liability to have to worry about, especially one where a safety part has been removed for it to function.

railroader
10-30-11, 15:41
That's cool that it works, neato.

No need to be a jerk, think you know what I mean, "FPB lifter" would be the exact term/part that would be changed as CZ compacts all have FPB's in unaltered stock configuration.

Putting together a hybrid slide/frame config'd gun for carry just sounds like an unnecessary liability to have to worry about, especially one where a safety part has been removed for it to function.

Sorry if I came off as a jerk. Personally I think for self defense the compact is just fine with the short slide and the FPB. Now for a cleaner trigger cajun gun works will recut a factory hammer and supply an adjustable sear for $68. I have that sear in my 75 sa and it makes the install very easy with a competition hammer or re cut hammer. http://www.cajungunworks.com/1.html