PDA

View Full Version : New to AR's

hardluk1
10-27-11, 09:45
Nw to this site. I am and older shooter and hunter but finally desided to get a ar based rifle for range fun, a bit of coyote control and a light recoiling rifle for my girls and grandkids to learn about centerfire with. I ended up ordering a M&P15 sport. Like the magpul rear site better than the earlier model as it well fold flat. Took it apart to learn my way around it. Cleaned and relubed and went out back a run a few rounds thru it. Price around here is 595.00 +tax and only took my local dealer 4 days to find one and get it in after normal wholsalers were out. Now waiting for a RRA scope mount to see what it will do at distance. My eyes ain't what they once were.

saddlerocker
10-29-11, 12:51
Welcome,

I think the M&P15 Sport is about the best entry level AR available, and under $600 is a good price for one

Have fun

hardluk1
10-29-11, 14:23
I hope it will be fine for what i want. I have a had time seeing what a mil spec rifle is worth for a 99% of civilan market and I already have a couple small hole punchers so I guess time will tell. It will be enjoyable to watch the kids and grand kids shoot it.

callen3615
10-31-11, 17:38
welcome!

callen3615
10-31-11, 17:40
I got a rifle similar to that m&p, the first AR i got. I couldnt stand not having the other features and sold the upper in a few months but I dont regret buying it.

callen3615
10-31-11, 17:41
I mean, its nice to get familiar with and learn how to shoot and AR but you might find yourself wanting more down the road FYI

TunaFisherman
10-31-11, 23:12
Good price for that gun. I see no problems if you are using it as you intend. Welcome to tha AR world. I own Colt SP6920 I just love shooting that as much as possible.

Oh and Walmart has American Eagle .223 for $5.97 a 20 round box. This is what I use for plinking. Stay away from anything but brass.

Iraqgunz
11-01-11, 03:40
I suggest you spend some time reading about the shortcomings of some of those other rifles and then you will understand why.

I hope it will be fine for what i want. I have a had time seeing what a mil spec rifle is worth for a 99% of civilan market and I already have a couple small hole punchers so I guess time will tell. It will be enjoyable to watch the kids and grand kids shoot it.