PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy NFA items, but moving to another state in 1 year

shaneinhisroom
10-27-11, 10:45
Hi guys, I have to move for my job in the next 12 months or so, TX or IL (chicago area). I am also looking to apply for SBR/suppressor stamps now living in Ohio.

My questions: If I apply for Form 1 and 4 and get approved and I have to move, what are the legal procedures in order to move to each state?

I think for TX, I simply fill out 5320.20 for an address change for my SBR lower, what about the suppressor?

And now, I can't seem to find any concrete info on IL- is it a NFA friendly state?

If both are a go, I'll apply for these stamps in the very near future!

Thanks.

Dolphinvet
10-27-11, 10:56
If in Texas, you're cool. They don't restrict NFA weapons. Apply for your change of address on your NFA weapons and suppressors and it's a go.

If it's Illinois, then you're screwed, especially Chicago. They don't even allow handguns there. They ban virtually any NFA weapon in Illinois. In fact they're pretty much anti-2nd amendment there.

shaneinhisroom
10-27-11, 11:26
That's what I figured. I will not be living in the Chicago city limits, just Chicago surrounding burbs. From what I've gathered, I can own firearms there. I'd just have to get a FOID and just didn't know if NFA was allowed. I guess I'll just have to see where I go then before I apply. This is dissappointing.

LTMattyL
10-27-11, 12:53
I think this website is legit.

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/states/illinois/

You can click on any state in the upper right and the blog piece on the left with give you info for that state. I'm not sure how often it is updated, but it can be a good starting point if you are looking for some state specifc informaiton.

cj5_dude
10-27-11, 13:15
You have zero chance of owning any NFA item within the confines of the border of Illinois. You also have zero chance of getting a concealed carry permit. I grew up in the suburbs around Chicago and some of them have strict gun laws, or at least they did when I lived there. So check with the city you plan to live in. There's lots of goofy gun laws in IL so make sure you do lots of reading.

shaneinhisroom
10-27-11, 13:23
I've been trying to gather as much info as I can, and so far it's not looking so hot. TX is looking best now, with some other choices being Atlanta, Detroit, somewhere in NC, or Philly. The only place that would hinder me would be Chicago...thankfully though, there's little chance of me going there. Maybe I should go ahead with the forms anyway....

G-lock
10-27-11, 13:26
If you come to Michigan, MG and Suppressor are good, but no SBR/SBS unless C&R.

Jeff

shaneinhisroom
10-27-11, 13:35
I will probably actively quit the company if I go to Detroit :P So that's out of the picture.

Ironman8
10-27-11, 13:57
I was actually wondering this same thing, but about engraving...what happens if you have an engraved SBR lower with your current state (lets say TX) and are moving to CO. Do you have to get the lower re-engraved? Or just change the paperwork?

scottryan
10-27-11, 14:17
OP,

Where is your family (parents) located?

shaneinhisroom
10-27-11, 14:18
OP,

Where is your family (parents) located?

China. LOL.

scottryan
10-27-11, 15:27
China. LOL.

Does your family own any property with a house in a free state?

shaneinhisroom
10-27-11, 15:32
Unfortunately not. Used to live in KY but they sold the house and moved back to China. They'll be back, but not anytime within the next 3-5 years. I really have no place to "store" my weapons, if that's what you're getting after.

I still think that I'll end up in Houston...it's probably over 60% likelihood. However, if I go through with the stamps, SBR and suppressor, what's the financial hit if I decide to sell them?

Iraqgunz
10-27-11, 15:43
I believe that there are other options like a bank safety deposit box (I have no idea how big they are) and I think that you could also keep them with a close friend assuming that they are locked in a safe that only you can access.

Unfortunately not. Used to live in KY but they sold the house and moved back to China. They'll be back, but not anytime within the next 3-5 years. I really have no place to "store" my weapons, if that's what you're getting after.

I still think that I'll end up in Houston...it's probably over 60% likelihood. However, if I go through with the stamps, SBR and suppressor, what's the financial hit if I decide to sell them?

Iraqgunz
10-27-11, 15:44
No- because you have to notify the NFA branch of your move. So that updated document and the original Form 1 will be all that is required.

I was actually wondering this same thing, but about engraving...what happens if you have an engraved SBR lower with your current state (lets say TX) and are moving to CO. Do you have to get the lower re-engraved? Or just change the paperwork?

Dolphinvet
10-27-11, 15:46
Probably pretty nasty hit. Used suppressors don't tend to sell for much. I'd think you might realize 50% of what you pay for one. An SBR, they are difficult to sell used as well unless it's a really nice one. Even so, you won't get near what you paid with it along with the stamps.

If I was going to get an NFA item that I may have to sell in the near future due to a move into an unfriendly state, I'd get a machine gun. They tend to hold their value.

Iraqgunz
10-27-11, 17:10
I should have mentioned this. You can take the SBR lower with by simply dropping a 16" upper on it and leaving the short upper somewhere outside of your control. In other words secure it somewhere or sell it and you will be good to go.

shaneinhisroom
10-28-11, 07:39
Thanks ^^. A 16" on a stamped lower is obviously not an SBR. Well I guess I can go ahead and start the process now and pray for Houston.

shaneinhisroom
10-28-11, 07:40
Probably pretty nasty hit. Used suppressors don't tend to sell for much. I'd think you might realize 50% of what you pay for one. An SBR, they are difficult to sell used as well unless it's a really nice one. Even so, you won't get near what you paid with it along with the stamps.

If I was going to get an NFA item that I may have to sell in the near future due to a move into an unfriendly state, I'd get a machine gun. They tend to hold their value.

Yeah...I would too if I had that kind of monies :cool:

A Squared
10-28-11, 08:16
I live outside of Chicago in DuPage county. If you end up in Cook county, you can't even have detachable magazines.

http://isra.org/legislation/cook_county_awb.shtml

shaneinhisroom
10-28-11, 08:28
I live outside of Chicago in DuPage county. If you end up in Cook county, you can't even have detachable magazines.

http://isra.org/legislation/cook_county_awb.shtml

Yeah...I'm ok if I am in the surrounding friendlier counties, but still no SBR setup :(

shaneinhisroom
11-02-11, 10:52
Here's a new question: Should I do a trust or individual? My CLEO will sign off, but I'm not sure of the advantages/disadvantages when I have to change my address.

scottryan
11-02-11, 12:18
Here's a new question: Should I do a trust or individual? My CLEO will sign off, but I'm not sure of the advantages/disadvantages when I have to change my address.

You need to find what state and home address you will be operating out of before we can figure this out.

shaneinhisroom
11-02-11, 12:20
It will most likely be TX, Houston area. Is there such a ATF form I can fill out for temp relocation (vacation, gun competitions, etc) so i can bring my guns to TX before changing my permanent address?

Dolphinvet
11-02-11, 14:02
It will most likely be TX, Houston area. Is there such a ATF form I can fill out for temp relocation (vacation, gun competitions, etc) so i can bring my guns to TX before changing my permanent address?

Yes, as I recall it's the ATF form 5320.20. But this applies to already registered NFA weapons. You haven't an NFA weapon yet. Since the current wait time for Form 1 or Form 4 approval is around 5 to 6 months, I'd get my permanent address set up first before I'd send in the forms for an SBR or whatever NFA weapon/device you decide upon.

Sierrahotel83
11-02-11, 15:25
I have a question in this same vein, well sort of, if a weapon, sbr, or suppressor is obtained with a trust, and for some reason you have to go to an area where you can not take the item is it viable to leave it with a trustee within the trust?
I ask this as I am currently a college student, but when I graduate the job, or more appropriately the MOS, I am looking at there seems to be a greater than 50% chance of being stationed in a place which is unfriendly to weapons or to one or more of the following SBR, or Suppressor.

Iraqgunz
11-02-11, 16:50
Anyone who is on the trust may have possession, which is a selling point for having one. So if the items stay at that location and a trustee is still there maintaining control, then it's a non-issue.

I have a question in this same vein, well sort of, if a weapon, sbr, or suppressor is obtained with a trust, and for some reason you have to go to an area where you can not take the item is it viable to leave it with a trustee within the trust?
I ask this as I am currently a college student, but when I graduate the job, or more appropriately the MOS, I am looking at there seems to be a greater than 50% chance of being stationed in a place which is unfriendly to weapons or to one or more of the following SBR, or Suppressor.

Sierrahotel83
11-02-11, 19:55
Anyone who is on the trust may have possession, which is a selling point for having one. So if the items stay at that location and a trustee is still there maintaining control, then it's a non-issue.

Thanks That is what I hoped to hear:D