PDA

View Full Version : Ignorant buffer question, help!

mstennes
10-27-11, 14:00
A friend of mine brought me a AR15 rifle, that he picked up from some guy out of the want ads, it appears to be a well made parts gun based on a Spikes lower. The guy he got it from was getting a divorce, and was cleaning out stuff, heres my problem, its a rifle setup, but its missing the bolt carrier, buffer, and buffer spring, I told him I have the bolt carrier and bolt, and might be able to make it work using a AR10 rifle buffer and spring. Heres my question, will it work using a AR10 rifle buffer and spring? I have a couple extra carbine 556 springs and buffers, but I dont think I should even look at the route. What are my options here?
Thanks

wahoo95
10-27-11, 14:08
Sometimes its easier to just get the proper parts and use them.

markm
10-27-11, 14:11
Sometimes its easier to just get the proper parts and use them.

A-Friggin-greeeeeeed!!!

Belmont31R
10-27-11, 14:11
How have you been here since 2007 and ask this?

Anyways if it has a rifle receiver extension you need to use an AR15 rifle buffer and rifle length spring.

If it has a carbine extension you need a carbine buffer and carbine spring.

Todd.K
10-27-11, 15:00
The AR-10 rifle buffer is shorter than the AR-15 rifle buffer, this will allow your bolt carrier key to impact the lower above the receiver extension.

The AR-10 action spring is too heavy for an AR-15, I don't think it would function well if at all.

justin_247
10-27-11, 16:46
A rifle buffer and spring can be purchased from BCM for $20. That's the solution to your problem...

mstennes
10-27-11, 19:30
Thanks all who answered, I ordered a correct setup from BCM earlier today, I had a Colt HBar I took the buffer and spring out of for him, I was trying to get him setup for this weekend. Yes I have been here since 07, but to be honest, I wasnt sure how much difference there was. I had a AR10, I converted from a rifle to a carbine, and I still had the buffer and spring so I asked. I do know that my MWS, has a H3 buffer, and I have seen those in carbine AR's before, so I figured I would ask.

Scimitar2
10-27-11, 20:58
Mark-

If you have something going this weekend you need some loaner parts for, drop me a line.