PDA

View Full Version : How does Spike FA BCG holdup?

Lawdog-1
10-28-11, 07:13
I would like to know if anybody has used a Spikes FA BCG in a Carbine classes running it hard and putting Thousands and thousands of rounds through it? I just want to know if I can trust Spikes BCG like you would LMT,BCM,DD and Colt FA BCG'S.

markm
10-28-11, 08:07
Why? I mean... if you're looking for hard use gear, why not buy a Colt or BCM?

Lawdog-1
10-28-11, 08:15
Colt's is priced too high.

Lawdog-1
10-28-11, 08:17
markm, why didn't you include LMT?

sadmin
10-28-11, 08:25
Look I'm not telling you to go buy one, if you can spend 110 on a BCG, you can spend 140 on one. Why get caught with your pants down in a class? That being said, should you find yourself with one, like I did in a trade...I bet it will be fine. I have one in a gun that has been to a class and has lots of bang bang on it. So far no issues... I would still not go purchase one given the other options. If you choose to buy one, send your sticker to markm, he loves spiders... Heard he has a LWRCi tramp stamp tatoo as well.

ucrt
10-28-11, 09:32

This is what I do when I'm find myself trying to buy something of questionable/unknown quality or buying from a vendor of unknown service/support/integrity just to save a nickel...

Get alone in a small room with an open bottle of Hoppe’s #9 (it enhances this procedure ;) ), close your eyes, imagine your gun, scope, ammo, (BCG?), accessory, etc. failing when you are at a shootfest with your friends or a match or a rare range/hunting trip or whatever… and/or later when you try to get the problem(s) rectified with the vendor, they don't answer your e-mails, phone calls, stall when you do get in touch, etc...
Then, ask yourself, how much more would you have willingly paid to have avoided this imaginery situation.
Almost invariably, when I do this, I will spend more.

But maybe it’s just me…

jet80tv
10-28-11, 09:56
I fail to see how Spikes is still in the catagory of an "unknown" quality. There have simply been too many reports of guns running "fine" with Spikes bcg's in them. I say "fine " because that's basically what the ones with experience with Spikes stuff say on this forum(and I know the reasons they've stated). I guess if " fine means never failed me and spec like the rest on "the chart" and generally cheaper, then count me in! Oh I am.
OP, In my experienc, Sikes BCG's are a gem. I have both the NiB bcg and their standard parked bcg and can report that both are "fine" "ho hum" ;) but don't take it from a fanboy( well maybe not a total FB, I do have a DD bcg). I know some people say " oh well if you can spend $10 on something you can spend $40" well sometimes you just can't. If getting the $109 bcg suits your financial situation then get it and you won't be disappointed.

99HMC4
10-28-11, 10:19
I've been running a spikes fill auto carrier in my m16 (10.5" LMT upper) for awhile in full auto. Granted it has a LMT bolt butvits holding up fine and I don't baby it at all.....

devinsdad
10-28-11, 13:43
The Spikes unit will work, and work well for whatever situation you find yourself in. The Spikes site has the documentation for testing every component on their rifles. Should be good for any class out there. Like vehicle or homeowners insurance, be smart and keep a few small spare parts. Everything breaks, always at the worst time. Prepare for it, cause it's gonna happen.

Iraqgunz
10-28-11, 13:57
This is not a technical question. Buy whatever makes you happy. There are multiple threads on BCG's and their quality.