PDA

View Full Version : AMD-65 Mods

PanzerJaeger
10-28-11, 14:05
Hey guys -

I was thinking of getting this - http://centerfiresystems.com/AKAGUN-AMD.aspx - and turning it into this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Afghan_border_police_aiming_a_weapon.jpg

I think it would be a cool first 'project gun', and since it's so cheap, if I screw it up it's not big deal. I know where to get the optics, but I was looking for some pointers on where to get the rail and grip mods that are on that gun.

Thanks for any help!

KalashniKEV
10-28-11, 17:14
I know where to get the optics, but I was looking for some pointers on where to get the rail and grip mods that are on that gun.

That's the Tdi rail system. They're expensive, heavy, and don't work that great. Here's mine on my '74.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Rifles/GetAttachmentaspx-1.jpg

Here's my cautionary words on the buttstock mod - you're going to need to install a standard trunnion or drill and tap the AMD rear trunnion and go with a bulky/ugly external.

See if you can try a few out before you do it. I find that a lot of the "M4 adapter" type stocks are too high relative to the sight radius of the AK to achieve an ergonomic fit. The Crapco stock, for being as poorly constructed as it is, gets the angle right (and is barely shorter than a standard buttstock on the first notch). Purely cosmetic.

m4brian
10-29-11, 11:19
While the receiver and barrel are of high quality on these, you must by floorplates and followers made in the USA to run decent Warsaw pact mags in them. Also, the 2000 receivers from which they are made, are CONVERSIONS from a 10 rounder that has a mag well which is a TAD long. This means that the 30 round WP mag will have some PLAY depending on who built it that day. I bought one that was too loose for my tastes, and sent it back. I picked one up in a local shop that was SO tight (don't know why) that you could not quickly inset a mag). If you find a decent one, I think it would be a GOOD AK for the money. I'd love to pick one up at a show for cheap that was good. I also think the stock as is useable - more so than some think.

My 2C.

Hizzie
10-29-11, 22:31
Krebs makes an adapter to mount an ACE stock to the AMD-65. Using that muzzle device would make the AMD a SBR unless you added an extension. I like the Hogue AK grip. The Hogue lower handguard is a perfect fit on the AMD. Ultimak and MI both have solutions as well. Mako also makes an Uber rail like the TDI.

tresmonos
10-31-11, 19:37
While the receiver and barrel are of high quality on these, you must by floorplates and followers made in the USA to run decent Warsaw pact mags in them. Also, the 2000 receivers from which they are made, are CONVERSIONS from a 10 rounder that has a mag well which is a TAD long. This means that the 30 round WP mag will have some PLAY depending on who built it that day. I bought one that was too loose for my tastes, and sent it back. I picked one up in a local shop that was SO tight (don't know why) that you could not quickly inset a mag). If you find a decent one, I think it would be a GOOD AK for the money. I'd love to pick one up at a show for cheap that was good. I also think the stock as is useable - more so than some think.

My 2C.

I was lucky enough to build mine from a parts kit on a Nodak Spud receiver. That's where I would look (used build market) if you're worried about the conversion. But even my mag well seemed tight on some of my chinese steel mags.

PanzerJaeger
11-02-11, 20:14
Thanks for the info guys. This place has such an amazing wealth of knowledge.

USAFR
11-04-11, 00:03
Im finding I dont think I like the 65 at all, its not a "stock 47 " platform and it takes to much work to make it work right, I hung some upgrades on mine and ended up taking them all off. That caused me to have to drop my mini red dot, and end up with all most usless sights.
It is cheep becaues it is a non user. get a 47 or 74, hope that help. If you really want one Oll sell you mine, it does work now.

regal
11-06-11, 01:17
It isn't an AMD-65 until you get the ATF stamp, yes it it worth $200 to have a hungarian made AMD-65 without the silly extension..

The thing is that this is a light weight SBR AK, start adding a bunch of accesories/rails and the design intent is lost.

These are a very practical well designed variation of the AK in stock form. With these TGI imports the magwell is the only issue and that can be fixed with easily.

There aren't many opportunities to own a 100% comblock SBR AK for $600.

eodinert
11-09-11, 06:40
AMD 65's are cool because they are AMD 65s. The stock blows for real shooting.

The short front end on a proper '65 is good, but for a shootin' gun (vs. a collector piece), put a real stock on it.

Moose-Knuckle
11-10-11, 19:51
The AMD is GTG as is so long it is a real AMD and not a kit abortion.

The stock sucking can be improved by my friend Gio, here is his site. He developed his stock adaptor for a contractor working in the sandbox.

http://www.amd65tech.com/

Stay away from the TDi rail, there gear is on par with Tapco, UTG, etc.

The AMD-65 is Peter Kokalis's favorite Kalashnikov varient. ;)

ForTehNguyen
11-12-11, 08:03
I put an AMDtech cheek riser and a Midwest Industries AK Mini dot mount with a Primary Arms micro dot on it. Pretty fun setup now, the cheek riser and red dot mount change it a lot. I also put a US Palm grip on it. However I have no idea what to do to improve the ergos of the forward grip, is there anything out there that doesnt involve mounting a rail system?

m4brian
11-12-11, 08:47
I
The thing is that this is a light weight SBR AK, start adding a bunch of accesories/rails and the design intent is lost.

These are a very practical well designed variation of the AK in stock form. With these TGI imports the magwell is the only issue and that can be fixed with easily.

Regal: What do you to to solve the mag well problem - new mag catch? Thanks.