PDA

View Full Version : The Most Depressing Thing I've Read In A LONG Time...

SteyrAUG
10-28-11, 14:47
Just finished reading Inside Delta Force: The Story of America's Elite Counterterrorist Unit by Eric Haney (http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Delta-Force-Americas-Counterterrorist/dp/0385336039), excellent book by the way.

And I was stunned to read about the two planned attempts to rescue American POWs still held captive in Loas in the early 1980s. I accept the source as absolutely reliable and proof enough that we had reliable evidence of Americans still being held in captivity in Laos.

I was greatly dissapointed to learn the big picture role that Bo Gritz knowingly or unknowingly played in undermining the efforts of the Delta rescue missions, in the 1980s I greatly admired Gritz for efforts on behalf of the POWs and the issue of their rescue.

And what distresses me the most is that it now seems it was American politicians, and not Vietnamese captors, who were the primary culprits in preventing the return of American POWs. I was also saddened to learn of other government and CIA shenanigans that occurred during the Reagan administration, but nothing in my mind compares to the POW issue.

I should also stress that there is no evidence or even accusations that President Reagan was involved or complicit in suppressing evidence of American POWs still being held or undermining any rescue effort. In fact there is strong evidence to the contrary that Reagan was prepared to do anything in his power to rescue American POWs and that was the purpose of two separate Delta missions that were later undermined by others.

Given all that we subjected those who did their duty in Vietnam to, this is clearly the final indignity. To not bring your men home is in my mind the greatest betrayal. It sickens me that there are those in positions of power in this country who have gotten away with doing just that. I cannot imagine the final years of those men who were abandoned.

I take some comfort in the fact that men were prepared to try, just as the effort was at least made with Operation Eagle Claw, and I could have lived with a failed effort such as the raid on Son Tay, but this one does break my heart.

I knew too many of these men to be indifferent. I guess at least those I knew made it home.

Reagans Rascals
10-28-11, 15:06
I literally just finished reading that last night myself. Very good read.

I was gravely disappointed to learn the main contributing factor to the failure of Eagle Claw was the forceful nature of the Admirals to include Navy helo's, and then after said inclusion, the unwilling attitude of the Navy Aviators to train for and to complete the mission... like they said... if we had at least tried... it had a high chance of success.

Another good read I recently finished was: "SEAL TEAM SIX" by Howard Wasdin. Describes a situation in Mogadishu in which they had 100% reliable intel stating Adid was at his aunt's house and they had the opportunity to snatch him, or at least take him out. It had been a long time coming but the moment they could finally get him was there. Wasdin and the other SEALs, along with Delta operators were put on standby, geared up, ready to go in. The Ranger QRF was geared up. Everyone was anxious to get in and do the deed.

At the last moment, Gen. Garrison called it off... the reason never making its way to the light of day. Yet he would later launch Delta raids into dry holes where no targets were even present.

Had things happened as they were supposed to... Adid would have been bagged... and October 3rd, 1993 would be of no significance now...

read it if you get the chance!

NWPilgrim
10-28-11, 15:32
Unfortunately our nation's history is replete with instances in which our politicians do not live up to the courage of our soldiers. I think most of us knew there were MIAs left in Laos and VN so that Nixon could have a "clean" end to the war. We were already humiliated at the peace table and on our hasty exit. Trying to negotiate for full return of all MIAs would have dragged out the end and we would have been further humiliated as we had no stomach for forcing the issue. Our govt chose the quick and easy over the honorable.

- Abandoning Afghanistan (and the CIA/SF teams) for Iraq just as we have Al Queda cornered in Tora Bora

- CIA operators being abandoned or turned over to enemy when politicians get cold feet (plenty of accounts of this by retired CIA to the point it is SOP to have your own bail out plan when the US govt does disown/reveal you in enemy territory)

- Abandoning Kurds after CIA recruits a rebel force in northern Iraq after first Gulf War, and their subsequent pounding by Sadaam's ground forces. Ditto for the Shias in the south.

- Abandoning the Cubans at the Bay of Pigs after CIA recruiting and supply (esp. withholding the light attack planes)

The tragedy is that this is NOT an unusual event but almost standard practice. It amazes me we still have fighters willing to try to do these missions knowing there is a 50/50 chance they will be undermined, obstructed, and/or betrayed by some politician along the line. We have zero standards of loyalty or ability to keep secrets or proven courage for our politicians. And they fully live down to those low expectations.

Reagans Rascals
10-28-11, 15:42
Unfortunately our nation's history is replete with instances in which our politicians do not live up to the courage of our soldiers. I think most of us knew there were MIAs left in Laos and VN so that Nixon could have a "clean" end to the war. We were already humiliated at the peace table and on our hasty exit. Trying to negotiate for full return of all MIAs would have dragged out the end and we would have been further humiliated as we had no stomach for forcing the issue. Our govt chose the quick and easy over the honorable.

- Abandoning Afghanistan (and the CIA/SF teams) for Iraq just as we have Al Queda cornered in Tora Bora

- CIA operators being abandoned or turned over to enemy when politicians get cold feet (plenty of accounts of this by retired CIA to the point it is SOP to have your own bail out plan when the US govt does disown/reveal you in enemy territory)

- Abandoning Kurds after CIA recruits a rebel force in northern Iraq after first Gulf War, and their subsequent pounding by Sadaam's ground forces. Ditto for the Shias in the south.

- Abandoning the Cubans at the Bay of Pigs after CIA recruiting and supply (esp. withholding the light attack planes)

The tragedy is that this is NOT an unusual event but almost standard practice. It amazes me we still have fighters willing to try to do these missions knowing there is a 50/50 chance they will be undermined, obstructed, and/or betrayed by some politician along the line. We have zero standards of loyalty or ability to keep secrets or proven courage for our politicians. And they fully live down to those low expectations.

Bravo Zulu... stated perfectly.

Koh Tang Island is another such instance.. but remember what the government assures us... WE NEVER LEAVE A MAN BEHIND......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayaguez_incident