PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to lighten up a G19 Gen 4 trigger?

ryu_sekai
10-28-11, 20:28
The stock trigger for the gen 4 is pretty heavy, what do I need to do to lighten it up?

MP9
10-28-11, 20:58
I did the 25 cent trigger job (g19 gen4).. not big deal and I think I need to polish a little more. anyways now the trigger doesnt feel so crispy and a little smoother..

and you could get the 3.5lb connector.. it should be around 5lb...or maybe 4.5 lb. I dont have the connector and I dont think it is good for my carry gun.

F-Trooper05
10-28-11, 20:59
A 3.5lb connector.

MP9
10-28-11, 21:05
I was checking at amazon and they have the 3.5 connector Lone wolf for 4 - 5 $... but if you check their website is more expensive or at midwayusa...($14+or-)

does anyone know if this lone wolf connector from amazon is fake ? I was thinking about getting one but I dont know,its strange..:confused::confused:

warpedcamshaft
10-28-11, 22:08
You can lighten the trigger pull weight with a new connector. That changes the trigger a bit.

You can also swap out your Gen4 trigger bar for a Gen 3 trigger bar. The Gen4 trigger bar has an extra bump that some blame for the different trigger feel.

The geometry of the trigger housing is different between the generations. This alters the angle at which the trigger bar interfaces with the connector, increasing the pull weight.

rauchman
10-28-11, 22:10
I do the $.25 polish job and add the Gen3 G17 trigger bar. I think it's part G0357 or something like that. Polish the contact points and you get a smooth Gen3 type trigger break. The Gen4 trigger bar has a dimple on it that feels like it drags along the inside of the slide.

I've tried the Glock and Lone Wolf lightened connectors. They both lightened the pull, but the break felt more mushy and the reset was not as strong. I understand Lone Wolf has a new generation 3.5 connector that's supposed to take out some mush, and Glock has the new "." connector which is supposed to be between the normal Gen3 and the "-" connector.

warpedcamshaft
10-28-11, 22:15
You could also order an "ATF" connector if a minus connector is too light. That is the nickname of Glock's new connector made specifically for the ATF's Gen 4's.

When the ATF selected the Gen4 G22 and G27 as service pistols, they wanted a lighter trigger but found the the "minus" connector too light. Glock made a new connector know as the "dot connector", "ATF connector" or "Connector 5."

EDIT: (Sorry, I was writing this as rauchman was posting. He beat me to the punch)

Guinnessman
10-28-11, 23:14
Try adding the new ATF or "." connector. That would be a good starting point. If you would like to go with a lower pull weight try finding a Glock factory 3.5 connector or look at a 3.5 connector from Ghost Inc. Personally, I prefer the Ghost Tactical 5.0 or Rocket 3.5 in my Glocks.

Serlo II
10-29-11, 10:09
I've tried the Ghost tactical setup combined with polishing and it worked out very nice.

Right now I am using the kits from glocktriggers.com - i have the Edge on my IDPA G17 SSP and I am getting the new duty setup for my G22. I like the clean break and reset.

n517rv
10-29-11, 11:35
The "minus" connector or 3.5lb connector will only drop the trigger pull about 1 lb. You need both the "minus" connector and a "competition" trigger spring to reduce the pull even further to around 3.5 lbs.

munch520
10-29-11, 11:39
I like the Ghost ultimate 3.5# connector and the 6# trigger spring. Stock weight striker spring. Around a 4# pull and a crisper reset than using the 3.5# connector by itself

Drew78
10-30-11, 18:20
What is the stock trigger spring weight and does going lighter reduce reliability in any way?

Serlo II
10-30-11, 19:41
What is the stock trigger spring weight and does going lighter reduce reliability in any way?

I have many thousands of rounds through the Glock Triggers Edge. Never a failure.

n517rv
10-30-11, 21:22

I believe the stock trigger weight on most Glocks from the factory is around 5 1/2 to 6 lbs.

I've never had it affect reliability in any of mine.

outrider627
10-30-11, 21:29
The stock trigger for the gen 4 is pretty heavy, what do I need to do to lighten it up?

This is what I did to my dad's glock:

- Titanium firing pin safety (can be substituted with a rounded and polished factory FPS. I bought the titanium one because I didn't want to mod the stock parts and I didn't feel I could round and polish it correctly.)
- Ghost Ranger 4.5 connector (reported to be similar to Glock "dot" connector)
- Gen 3 Trigger Bar (make sure it is the latest revision with the "dog leg bend" in the trigger spring hook area. Part # SP00357)
- .25 cent polish job on contact surfaces.

The trigger weight went from 6.5lbs to 5lbs, but without the added creep from the glock "minus" connector that was installed before. The trigger break and reset are close to the Glock 5.5 connector. After some range time, the weight has gone down even further. It's about 4.75lbs now.

I tried a glockmeister 6lb trigger return spring, and it did reduce the trigger weight another half pound, but it also messed up the reset. The trigger would not reset to a safe condition, it would stop just short of the trigger safety clearing the cut out in the frame. I decided not to mess with it and keep the OEM spring. YMMV.

Lone Wolf has a new 3.5 connector that supposedly reduces the trigger weight more than their old 3.5 connector and the glock one. I briefly read about it on GlockTalk a couple months ago, but I never went back for more reviews once I finished working on the G17's trigger.

KTR03
10-31-11, 13:31
Just back from the armorer's course. The Gen 4's shipped out with a connector that was set to the wrong angle. This resulted in an approx 8 llb pull. They are not replacing those with the "dot" connector that will return the weight to about 5.5. That should be your starting point.

munch520
10-31-11, 13:57
and does going lighter reduce reliability in any way?

The one thing I don't do is mess with the striker spring, for fear of malfunction, such as a light strike. Sure, if I got a lighter striker I may be able to do that...but I don't want that light of a pull. So yes, in addition to any installer error, correct installation of some trigger parts may result in reduced reliability. One more reason to get edumacated before tinkering with internals.

Just back from the armorer's course. The Gen 4's shipped out with a connector that was set to the wrong angle. This resulted in an approx 8 llb pull. They are not replacing those with the "dot" connector that will return the weight to about 5.5. That should be your starting point.

Interesting.

Littlelebowski
10-31-11, 14:13

Do you mean they are replacing it for free?

lil'Zeus
10-31-11, 14:18
So let me get this right, a guy needs a "." or a "-" connector, a gen 3 trigger bar and a new trigger spring to really hit the sweet spot?

Littlelebowski
10-31-11, 14:25
Simply going to a Gen3 smooth face trigger and bar dropped a bit of pull weight for me.

lil'Zeus
10-31-11, 14:59
LB~
Was the break and reset still crisp, just lighter overall? I just don't want to end up with and M&P mush set up. LOL I like factory parts too if it works out that way!

Littlelebowski
10-31-11, 15:09
LB~
Was the break and reset still crisp, just lighter overall? I just don't want to end up with and M&P mush set up. LOL I like factory parts too if it works out that way!

Yup, worked great.

BufordTJustice
11-01-11, 00:01
The new LWD 3.5. And MAYBE a wolff 4.5lb striker spring. But start with the connector.

Magsz
11-01-11, 11:00
I posted this on another forum and i thought it might be of help here.

"You're going to be hard pressed to get under 5 pounds unless you start monkeying around with some serious gunsmithing or the firing pin spring.

Gen 4's have noticably heavier triggers due to the 5 degree angle change on the connector, the bump on the trigger bar and also the modified dog leg where your trigger spring sits.

You can try a gen 3 trigger bar but i ran into issues with this as the trigger bar was grinding on the trigger housing drop safety area.

If you want a SMOOTH 4.5-5 pound trigger do the following:

1. Titanium firing pin safety (you can radius and polish your existing Block if you would like)
2. Reduced power firing pin spring
3. 6 lb trigger spring
4. Dot connector or whatever - connector you prefer.
5. Polish your contact points, particularly the bump on the trigger bar. Ive found that the bump doesnt add alot of weight, it adds grit. Polishing it significantly improves trigger feel. Most people that drop in generation 3 trigger bars and associate the decrease in trigger pull weight do not realize that they're changing the angle of the trigger spring via the older straight dogleg. You can confirm that the bump adds very little weight by installing a gen "3.5" trigger bar with the revised dog leg and no bump and your pull weight will be VERY close to a gen 4 bar.

You can go a little further and stone your striker face and the other contact points but that requires knowing what you're doing. If you dont want to go that in depth a little bit of polishing will do you a world of benefit.

Please be aware that if you do not get into more advanced gunsmithing techniques you will NOT be going below 4 pounds without changing your firing pin spring which WILL compromise reliability. "

rauchman
11-02-11, 07:21
Simply going to a Gen3 smooth face trigger and bar dropped a bit of pull weight for me.

+1

This worked for me as well.

MP9
11-02-11, 09:24
I read somewhere about the new "dot" connector in the latest gen4..

I found this: connector (http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=236286&CAT=705) , wondering if it really is aprox 5lb... or if it is better the 3.5 connector.. (for ccw)

Jim D
11-02-11, 09:49
I've put "." connectors in all of my Glocks (Gen 2 and Gen 3).

The firing pin spring plays a strong role in trigger pull weight. With an old, well worn FP spring, the "." in a Gen 2 felt marginally heavier than a "-" connector, which means it still felt mushy. Once a new factory FP spring was installed, it went back to feeling firm again.

I see little reason to do more than install a "-" or "." connector in really any generation Glock. Once you learn how to shoot the gun, it doesn't make much difference.

I've shot just as well using a stock factory 5.5# Glock as I have one with a "-" or a "."

I prefer the "." only because I have enough sensitivity in my trigger finger to feel it move through the break a little better when shooting slow for pure accuracy.

At any kind of speed, or when not shooting for pure precission, I see literally NO difference between all of the different Glock triggers and my accuracy (excluding the NY or 8# configurations, which I haven't shot extensively so I can't comment on them).

I literally shot one of the best groups of my life using my OSHO (weak hand only, for those not familiar) in a well worn G19 with factory trigger components (5.5#).

If you need to modify the gun using non-Glock parts in order for you to shoot well... you're only covering up a shortcoming in your ability. That has a place for some people, but most shooters would be better served by just putting in the time and energy to get better with the factory offering.

Jim D
11-02-11, 09:50
I read somewhere about the new "dot" connector in the latest gen4..

I found this: connector (http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=236286&CAT=705) , wondering if it really is aprox 5lb... or if it is better the 3.5 connector.. (for ccw)

Yes, in a gen 4 it feels much more like a Gen 3 with the 5.5# connector. It's not nearly as mushy as a "-" connector, so yes, much better for carry in my opinion.