PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 Help

Ga Shooter
10-28-11, 20:42
I was not sure where to post this so if you need to move it please feel free to do so.

I actually am looking to buy my first 10/22. I have found quite a few used ones at good prices but is there anything I should know about them? I know there are several different version of barrels and stock but are all the internals the same since the 10/22 was invented? What should I look for or stay away from?

The reason I want to get one is I plan to eventually put a can on it and use it for fun and pesty animals.

Thanks for the help.

MistWolf
10-29-11, 06:21
As far as i know, Ruger has not made any changes to the critical dimensions of the 10/22 since it's introduction. I believe trigger groups, magazines, barrels etc. will all interchange.

They have switched to making certain parts out of plastic like the trigger housing. I would suggest finding a used 10/22 that was made before they started using the plastic trigger housing. I also think the Sporter version (modern classic walnut stock, no barrel band, nice checkering) is the best looking 10/22 of all

jbsmwd
10-29-11, 09:23
Here is a link a website. Check them out.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

Inuvik
10-29-11, 10:42
I have been contemplating the purchase of a couple more 10/22 rifles to stash away for my boys (2 and 4).

The recent (2008) switch to plastic barrel bands and trigger groups is a motivating factor for me to speed up the search. I put a couple of mags through a brand new production (plastic) gun last weekend, and it just was not as nice IMHO as my 20 year old model.

For your reference, I have somewhere around 30 - 50,000 rounds through my gun with no issues other than a heavily leaded barrel at one point (my fault). Buy used with confidence. The basic carbine is just fine in my opinion.

Ga Shooter
10-29-11, 15:50
Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.