PDA

View Full Version : Plate Carriers

Seagrave7
10-29-11, 10:57
I'm currently running an Eagle Plate Carrier with 5 Eagle M4 mag pouches on the front and an Emdom Vehicle Hydration pouch on the rear of the rig. This rig has served me very well for the last 4 years. I've been eyeing the new Crye JPC as a lighter weight more stream lined setup. As the Crye JPC comes with 3 internal Mag Pouches, does it make sense for me to switch over to the JPC and add two additional mag pouches as well as my hydration pouch? I'm starting to think my Eagle PC is getting outdated and wouldn't mind a lighter setup.

Please note, my only intended use for this PC is the multiple Carbine/Pistol class I take throughout the year. I am not LE nor Mil but rather just a CIV with a hobby in learning how to run and gun with proper equipment that suits my needs.

Any information/ recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

seal20
10-29-11, 13:01
They CRYE JPC is cool, but I think your set up is just fine.

In fact the JPC might just be "too fast" for the ordinary user.

Iraq Ninja
10-29-11, 17:23
Nothing comes free, and when you go lightweight, you loose some comfort depending on the load. The JPC is probably a bit easier to use while shooting a carbine.

Let me digress a bit to touch on the current plate carrier fad...

The fact that you are attending a training courses should be a criteria in selecting a carrier. You are attending a course that is inherently dangerous, with total strangers of various skill levels. So, why give up the soft armor especially if handguns are involved?

Most civies I know with plate carriers don't even use side plates. They have given up A LOT of protection for no good reason other than they don't like being uncomfortable and sweaty.

Those in the military who wear plate carriers have made the choice of taking less protection to gain maneuverability. Civies are not burdened with equipment like the military. They are not required to fight or patrol for extended periods of time.

There are light weight vests with soft armor out that are very comfortable. How many police SWAT teams are switching to plate carriers? I have no idea, but I think most LEO want the soft armor protection.

My current rig for CONUS training is a Mayflower vest with plates and soft armor. I don't trust any of you :)

SWATcop556
10-29-11, 23:03
I've been running the SKD PIG for just about everything here lately. I also run it with the side plates and armored cummerbund. I have to look at my ability to move and fight vs coverage and I feel this is the best of both worlds though nothing is perfect by any means. IN makes a good point in that soft armor should be a mandatory component for almost all applications.

As long as you buy for your needs and protection vs the CDI factor of a carrier then you are GTG. :big_boss:

Javelin
10-29-11, 23:13
Nothing comes free, and when you go lightweight, you loose some comfort depending on the load. The JPC is probably a bit easier to use while shooting a carbine.

Let me digress a bit to touch on the current plate carrier fad...

The fact that you are attending a training courses should be a criteria in selecting a carrier. You are attending a course that is inherently dangerous, with total strangers of various skill levels. So, why give up the soft armor especially if handguns are involved?

Most civies I know with plate carriers don't even use side plates. They have given up A LOT of protection for no good reason other than they don't like being uncomfortable and sweaty.

Those in the military who wear plate carriers have made the choice of taking less protection to gain maneuverability. Civies are not burdened with equipment like the military. They are not required to fight or patrol for extended periods of time.

There are light weight vests with soft armor out that are very comfortable. How many police SWAT teams are switching to plate carriers? I have no idea, but I think most LEO want the soft armor protection.

My current rig for CONUS training is a Mayflower vest with plates and soft armor. I don't trust any of you :)

I have been giving some thought to side plates. I am currently running a Blackwater sappi rig w/o any side protection. I am still in really good shape so there is not a whole lot to cover up on my sides (I train for 1/2 marathons) but it would be nice to maybe look into a rig that can handle them or at least some soft armor.... Any idea if soft side armor is available in any usable configuration?

JSantoro
10-30-11, 14:48
I bought c-bunn armor for my Eagle PC, as plate-backers and as something that provides some baseline side protection and c-bunn rigidity to support anything hung on it, which in turn makes the entire rig ride better....

SKD sells c-bunn armor for the PIG, which works in a lot of them. In kevlar shown, but they carry Dyneema, as well: http://www.skdtac.com/PIG_Plate_Carrier_Cummerbund_Soft_Armor_Inserts_p/amr.105.htm

I got mine from Triad Tactical; specifically cut for the Eagel PC c-bunn, and it fits in the one for my Mayflower APC just dandy: http://www.triadtactical.com/PACA-Heat-Sealed-IIIA-Soft-Inserts-Eagle-Cummerbund.html

(They also carry front/back panels for same....)

There are other vendors out there, as well. Unless I'm off, most of this stuff should measure in the 6" x 10" range, barring stuff cut especially for specific c-bunns.

The Eagle PC is still a pretty good choice for a lot of folks. Use the c-bunn w/a stiffener of some sort inserted; it doesn't have to be armor, it can be a flexible plastic, like what's found in the MTV and the Spartan II. Just be sure you're using shock-cord to connect the c-bunn together in back, and not 550 cord. Gonna need to breathe, eventually....

Quinn
10-30-11, 15:11
Plates dont offer protection from handgun rounds? Only soft armor? Or the soft armor and plates is just a better combo?

Iraq Ninja
10-30-11, 15:17
Plates do stop handgun rounds, but the plates are limited in their coverage. Soft armor helps to add more protection by filling the gaps.

Mission dictates what you need to wear.

JSantoro
10-30-11, 15:51
For armor questions, Doc's got a lot of good info an what soft/hard armor does and does not do in the Terminal Ballistics subforum.

skd_tactical
11-01-11, 21:05
I, obviously, rock a PIG PC for just about everything. I also use both hard and soft armor in the front, back, and sides. The PIG rides and fits the way I like, and over the years I have gotten so used to soft armor that I don't even notice it in the PIG.
The Eagle PC you own is an awesome rig. I wore it for years until our PIG came out (actually the pre-production PIG was a heavily modded Eagle PC).
The Eagle PC is quite easy to Modify/ add to on your own. Check out different shoulder pads - the HSGI, Mayflower, Eagle CIRAS, or the new First Spear shoulder pads come to mind. I really like the First Spear ones b/c of the comms routing elastic. Adding soft armor to the Eagle PC isn't hard either.
The PIG Soft armor C-bun will also fit on the Eagle PC and tons of our customers have bought just the soft armor c-bun and soft armor to augment their Eagles PC's. In the next two months (I hope) we'll have another way to attach side plates to the PIG's too.

If you have any questions on modding your Eagle PC that don't involve sewing feel free to PM me or just post here. I can't sew worth a damn and not everyone knows a parachute rigger.

SOS

Failure2Stop
11-01-11, 22:10
The only time I load my PC with anything more than 3 rifle mags and a bleeder kit is if I am required to.

In fact, here's what my new "do what I want" PC looks like:
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm174/Fail2Stop/c285d4aa.jpg
FWIW- the advice on soft armor and cummerbunds is very solid, regardless of whether I use one or not.

I bet if you cut the unnecessary stuff from your current PC you would find it quite comfortable. In fact, here's mine from not too long ago with cummerbund armor (plates are out and bleeder kit has been removed):
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm174/Fail2Stop/66605ee8.jpg

Submariner
11-02-11, 11:52
Plates do stop handgun rounds, but the plates are limited in their coverage. Soft armor helps to add more protection by filling the gaps.

Soft armor also protects the body from back face deformation.

DocGKR posted that some stand alone plates, e.g. TAP GAMMA III+, still have BFD issues and recommended, at a minimum, soft armor plate backers.