PDA

View Full Version : What to do with SP101

ewenit
10-29-11, 13:05
Before I go into this if it has already been posted elsewhere I apologize (my search-fu has been weak today)

I am the owner of a 2.25" bbl Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum and I am having trouble finding a use for it at this point. It is a wonderful firearm (after a little work). Unfortunately I have found the role of backup gun filled by my J frame and the role as my main carry piece is soon to be taken over by a G19.

I really like this little firearm (as it was my first and holds sentimental value) but I hate wasting safe space on a gun that doesn't get regular use.

So my question is, if you were in my shoes what would you do with the SP101?

Thanks in advance.

ucrt
10-29-11, 13:16

The neat things about guns is they don't "spoil". If it has sentimental value, keep it. Ain't like it is an FIE or something.

Just keep some ammo onhand for it. A gun without ammo is useless and an SP101 is a useful gun. Load it and keep it on top of a bookcase ... JIC.

But maybe it's just me...

Matt-J2
10-29-11, 13:19
Normally, I say ditch it if it's not getting used. However, I do understand sentimental value, and even wish I still had my very first firearm. The fact that I no longer own it due to the fault of others probably helps with that.
So while the SP101 certainly doesn't take up much room in the safe, if it isn't giving you any joy owning it, then it's not worth keeping around.

Dienekes
10-29-11, 13:59
They are a solid little gun--although I prefer the 3" barrels and they do benefit from lighter springs. Unless you need to convert it to cash or use it for trading stock I find that getting rid of serviceable guns doesn't pay over the long haul. It'll probably appreciate over time (or at least stay even with inflation!) and they come in handy aas a loaner. If times get rough something like that can be worth its weight in gold to somebody. And it will definitely last longer than you do.

As mentioned, if it were a Taurus or something the story would be different.

TriviaMonster
10-29-11, 14:45

The neat things about guns is they don't "spoil". If it has sentimental value, keep it. Ain't like it is an FIE or something.

Just keep some ammo onhand for it. A gun without ammo is useless and an SP101 is a useful gun. Load it and keep it on top of a bookcase ... JIC.

But maybe it's just me...

Shoot, some people even hang into kidney stones. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

-Chris-

TunaFisherman
10-29-11, 14:53
Do what I did with my SS SP101, hung it in my safe next to my other pistols. I purchased it when they came out years ago so I am going to hang onto mine

tpd223
10-29-11, 16:01
Personally I'd hang onto it to use as a training gun. Going to a snub class with an airweight just plain sucks after awhile, even with non +P ammo.

I used to have a S&W 640 that I got rid of after getting a 642, now I wish I still had the 640 to use for training.

TOrrock
10-29-11, 17:47
Hang onto it. You never know if you might need a loaner to someone who isn't a gun person and needs something dead nuts simple and reliable.

zacii
10-29-11, 18:03
I have an SP101, too.

The only real reason that I have it, is because I wanted one.

Don't get rid of it, you'll always regret it.

Although it's a bit heavy for pocket carry, it works in a coat pocket when your primary is under a few layers during the winter.

DocH
10-29-11, 18:34
Unless you're really strapped for cash,keep it! You'll regret it if you don't. Speaking from experience.:D

Hizzie
10-29-11, 22:26
Snubbies are like multi-tools and flashlights. You just can't have too many stashed away.

RGoose
11-01-11, 20:21
Hang onto it. You never know if you might need a loaner to someone who isn't a gun person and needs something dead nuts simple and reliable.

Ditto, it doesn't take up that much space.

QuickStrike
11-01-11, 23:21
You can't really sell it for that much anyway. I'd keep it as a beater gun.

Nothing wrong with shooting something a little different every now and then.

buckshot1220
11-02-11, 00:15
Are you into camping/hiking/outdoors activities? A .357 of that size is a good tool to have with you in the woods. It's no .44, but it'll take care of most of the larger critters you may encounter in North America should the need arise.

Besides that, a good revolver is just always good to have around.

montanadave
11-02-11, 16:59
I've got a 2.25" SP101 that I just mailed off to Gemini Customs to get dolled up. I love that little gun and can't wait to get the new, improved version back.

Norseman
11-03-11, 10:03
I say keep it, you never know when some situation will pop up that it can fill that role. Recent experience has shown this to me, I had an old J-fram sitting in the safe also that got no use and then my mother and father in-law decided that they needed something to have on hand for defense because they were growing more concerned with the recent current events going on but dont have alot of spare income. Long story short I ended up giving them the J-frame as a gift, since something is better than what they had, which was nothing.

It is getting put to good use and it is staying in the family. Just my .02 cents.

Pk14
11-03-11, 12:06
I've got a 2.25" SP101 that I just mailed off to Gemini Customs to get dolled up. I love that little gun and can't wait to get the new, improved version back.

Great choice! Marc does fantastic work:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q43/Pk14_photos/SP101frontendA.jpg

For the OP - I kept the -101 for my wife to have when I couldn't get her to go to the range with a traditional semi-auto pistol I felt comfortable using / carrying and practice. It's about as simple as it can get.

Cheers,
Pk

drsal
11-03-11, 12:24
After a while, you will regret selling it.... Keep it !

ewenit
11-03-11, 15:36
I just wanted to thank everyone for their prompt and helpful responses. I have no clue what must have possessed me that evening, but I will definitely be following the masses on this one and keeping the Ruger. Maybe I'll even have Ruger put the 3" barrel on it and use it for a hiking/camping gun. Who knows, either way it wont be going anywhere for a long time.

Thanks again. :)

13MPG
11-03-11, 16:58
Good call.

My wife bought me a 3” SP101 for Christmas last year and I really like it so far. I have never been real big on wheel guns but the 101 seems to be a good compromise between a J-frame and a full sized revolver. I have not carried it out on the town but I have carried it a good bit in the woods. Should be more than enough to handle any of the 4 legged pests that I might bump into.

old grunt
11-03-11, 19:32
Mine is about 6" from me at the moment. I hadn't had a revolver in so long(2000, when my old job switched to Glocks for our duty weapon)that I purchased my SP101 in July. I love it. I can agree with you, it's NOT exactly BUG material because of weight,but I do carry it as my EDC when I don't think(or feel:confused:)I need my G19. My advice: Hold on to it..you might find that it fits a niche in your EDC rotation. I was EDC'ing a G19 in the warm weather and my Colt OM when it gets cold..now the 101 is found on me more than the G19. Can't explain it exactly..just like the feel of this piece!:D

old grunt
11-03-11, 19:38
Hell, REVOLVERS are Ol'School and Ol'School IS COOL!:D

woodandsteel
11-04-11, 05:11
Hell, REVOLVERS are Ol'School and Ol'School IS COOL!:D

And; "There's No School Like The Old School!"

I've been looking at the SP101 for quite a while now.

Jake'sDad
11-04-11, 15:56
Great choice! Marc does fantastic work:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q43/Pk14_photos/SP101frontendA.jpg

For the OP - I kept the -101 for my wife to have when I couldn't get her to go to the range with a traditional semi-auto pistol I felt comfortable using / carrying and practice. It's about as simple as it can get.

Cheers,
Pk

I've seen their work, and it is beautiful.

And I wish a lot more guys would buy a J frame or SP101, load it with wadcutters and give it to their wife/girlfriend/daughter/mother, instead of the Glocks, 1911's, Blackhawk .357's and .44 Mags, etc., I see them at the range with, trying to get them to shoot, when it's clear they're terrified, and they have no aptitude, or interest in learning to run the gun. A J or SP101, a trigger job, and an hour or two of reasonable instruction, and they'd not only be safer, they'd be in a much better position to protect themselves.

I've long held a theory that a lot of men give their wives inappropriate guns, with little to no instruction, knowing they won't achieve competence with it, because it feeds their own egos that they're the only "gunfighter" in the house. Youtube is full of videos of guys handing women large caliber guns with hot loads, and then laughing their asses off when they fire it for the first time. Makes me want to bitchslap the little punks, and then teach her to shoot better than he does.

JEHalloranIV
11-04-11, 16:26
I have two of them squirreled away in the house...I check them once a year when I change my Aimpoint batteries...keep it, solid as hell little pistol, and as long as you don't HAVE to carry it, then it makes a great spare

skipper49
11-04-11, 20:29
I've had both the 2 1/4" and a couple of the 3 1/16" SP101's. The three inch is one of my absolute favorite "using" handguns. Just not much you can do to hurt it, plus, it handles hot loads with ease. To the OP, if you don't HAVE to sell it, don't. You'll most likely be sorry later.

Skip

DasBulk
11-23-11, 20:19
I love mine and carry it. I bought it for shits and giggles one day browsing Davidson's. I had the idea of carrying it, but was really just attracted to its smooth lines, :cool:.
If I were you, I'd throw it in the glove box (local laws permitting) or on top of a book case like others have said. Should go without saying to keep that serial number on hand, JIC your car gets knocked over though.

novaDAK
11-24-11, 18:35
Another vote for keep it. :)

They're great little revolvers, and you never know if/when you might need a spare backup.

cfrazier
11-28-11, 01:58
Keep it.

As to the weight of the SP i don't have a problem with it. I have carried one for over 13 years as my back up on my ankle. I think with the right holster it is barely noticed as much as a larger polymer gun would be.

Outlaw621
12-02-11, 08:30
The SP101 is a nice compact pistol. IMHO I would keep it. I sold my SP101 a few years back and I regret it. There have been a few occasions where it would have been easier to carry and conceal the SP101's small foot print while keeping the large caliber. Now that I am thinking about it I may just have to get another one :dance3:.

Long Tom Coffin
12-02-11, 23:30

Here here. I have an SP101 with a 3", and it was my first carry gun. After I wisened up and got a G19 and an LCR as a BUG, my SP101 was demoted to the safe. I struggled to find a use for it, but couldn't part with it for sentimental reasons (took my ccw with it, first ever purchased handgun, etc).

Then I started up camping/hiking again, and with the recent sightings of cougars and bears in my area, I decided I needed to bring something potent with me. I slipped a hogue grip on it and loaded with with 180 gr hardcast and voila!....my new hiking gun was born.

Keep it around. You never know what kind of use you will find for it.

RDak
12-03-11, 05:17
FWIW, I'd keep it and carry it now and then.

Even if I didn't carry it often enough, I'd still keep it.

What about it being one of your in home self-defense guns?

suthrncop66
12-09-11, 17:09
If it has sentimental value keep it..you will regret it down the road if you sell it...I have sold many guns over the years and the few that had sentimental value I would take back in a heartbeat if I ever came across them again....still kicking myself for some of them

indawire
12-09-11, 21:40
That little SP woun't go bad like some leftovers in the back of the fridge. Keep it around for a rainy day if you really need the money. What do you think you could trade it for if the SHTF? Lots more than some wads of greenbacks to use as toilet paper.

Arc Angel
12-10-11, 10:38
Keep it! The SP-101 is a good pistol. True, it's not really a secondary; but, then again, it can be used with a lightweight suit or casual clothing as an effective primary handgun with a very low carry profile.

My wife usually carries mine inside her (shoulder) purse; but I've, also, been know to wear it on my belt to public events and family functions where one of my larger pistols wouldn't be well accepted if discovered.

The SP-101 is heavy; but it's a genuine, 'bear of a gun' that can be fired until it's too hot to handle and, yet, it never misses a beat! Definitely a very tough, somewhat heavy, little 357 Magnum weapon. Mine will never be for sale; and besides there are, also, times when having another pistol to carry helps to fight off the handgun, 'boredom factor'. (If you know what I mean!) :D

montanadave
12-10-11, 10:48
I received an email from Ruger last week announcing they were introducing a new SP101 w/ 4.2" barrel in both .357 Mag. and .22 LR. Here's the link: http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/models.html

And Marc at Gemini Customs is shipping my SP101 home on Monday. I'm looking forward to getting my "new" gun back!

Shabazz
12-11-11, 08:32
SP101 is a quality durable pisstol.

samuse
12-11-11, 18:46
Keep it.

I've always thought of it as a fairly useless gun but I love mine. I only shoot it about once a year but it's an amazingly easy gun to shoot well.

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/100_0548.jpg