PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint micro bikini cover induced malfuntion??

Clobbersauras
10-29-11, 17:58
Hi all, today at the end of my range session, I had my first malfunction with my AR (10.25") ever. A classic stovepipe. It fed the next round but it caught the ejecting round on the way out.

The rifle had about 250 rounds through it at that time and I ran another 25 through it with no problems from the same mag. When I took it apart it was still well lubed, the chamber was clean, extractor was fine, I can't detect any issues elsewhere.

When I'm shooting, I store the bikini cover off my aimpoint below the optic on the DD mount. A small portion of the cover falls over the ejection port. I have shot close to 3k rounds through it like this with no other issues. But the only thing I can think of is the bikini cover may have impeded the full ejection of the brass. Thoughts?

BCmJUnKie
10-29-11, 18:03
Take it off.

If you dont have malfunctions...it was the cover.

That would be my first thougt

Clobbersauras
10-29-11, 18:19
Yeah, I took it off for the last mag, no problems.

pira114
10-29-11, 23:21
I couldn't even tell you where my cover is. I tried a few things to keep it handy and settled on leaving it home. That sight is so durable I quit worrying about it.

But yeah, sounds like it got in the way. Shit hanging off your rifle can cause problems. Better you found that one at the range.

pira114
11-01-11, 23:14
For shits and giggles, I tried to replicate this problem. What mount are you using? I'm using the LaRue tall mount and the bikini cover won't even come close to the ejection port no matter how far I push it down.

Did you ever find a different possibility to this issue?

BufordTJustice
11-02-11, 04:50
I HATE having shit on my optic lenses....so I keep my cover on my DD base, below my T1.

However, every other person I've seen has the covers straddling the sides of the mount, rotated 90 degrees from their installed position. I literally just flip them down, so the covers reside facing outward, directly below their respective lenses. The covers in this position stretch much more tightly against the rubber 'connector strap' and I have never even had them shift unless I bump them....and even in that case they didn't move much.

I think that it is entirely possible the the cover caused the malf. Anything that obstructs the EP could be a cause for a malf. I was shooting around a barrier once (blue range barrel) and had the EP almost resting on the barrel....say hello to Mr. Stovepipe. Luckily for my paranoia, a buddy saw it happen and confirmed the barrel was the cause.

Shit happens. Secure 'em or ditch 'em and move on. :D

CarlosDJackal
11-02-11, 15:24
It was probably the cover. I personally take off my cover and leave it in the rifle case when I am shooting. You only really need it during transportation. Good luck!!

SuperiorDG
11-02-11, 15:39
I always put the bigger of the two ends of the bikini cover over the on/off knob. This way it stay up and out of the way.

BCmJUnKie
11-02-11, 15:41
I couldn't even tell you where my cover is. I tried a few things to keep it handy and settled on leaving it home. That sight is so durable I quit worrying about it.

But yeah, sounds like it got in the way. Shit hanging off your rifle can cause problems. Better you found that one at the range.

Roger that.

My M3 has the flip caps. I think the were actually closed once.

The M2 has the rubber covers, I havent had those on once.

I wouldnt mind getting flip caps for them. Just in case

Beat Trash
11-02-11, 15:53
Does anyone make a flip up cover for the Aimpoint Micro's?

pira114
11-02-11, 15:58
Does anyone make a flip up cover for the Aimpoint Micro's?

GG&G makes this one. Integrated into the mount though. This set up don't look bad, but it's not nearly as compact as your usual LaRue or DD mount. Not sure about weight which presumably is why most of us chose the T1

http://www.gggaz.com/aimpoint-t-1-scope-and-mount-best-value-package.html

If you search around, you can find the mount alone for about $120.

Clobbersauras
11-02-11, 20:46
For shits and giggles, I tried to replicate this problem. What mount are you using? I'm using the LaRue tall mount and the bikini cover won't even come close to the ejection port no matter how far I push it down.

Did you ever find a different possibility to this issue?

I am using the DD mount. Thanks for the responses guys. One thing I may have overlooked in all this (and it actually makes me feel silly for having posted this thread) was that I was using a new muzzle brake on the gun. With a 10.25 barrel length and it's entirely possible the new brake caused it to be over gassed. It's a very efficient design, one of the best I've ever used on an AR. After some research about it, I noted another SBR user that had the same issue with this brake installed, and went away when he took it off.

That being said, the bikini cover is getting stored in my chest rig from now on. ;)

Russell92
11-02-11, 21:18
I just pull the covers straight down below the lenses instead of rotating them 90 degrees when at the range to avoid possibly blocking the ejection port.

Belmont31R
11-02-11, 21:21
Mine are in the parts bin. Im not going to be dinking around with a flimsy little rubber cover.