PDA

View Full Version : Oakley gloves?

stitchclimber
10-29-11, 23:39
Anyone have any experience with sizing on Oakley tactical gloves?

As in do they run small or large? I bought a pair of (M) Wiley X gloves used and they seemed to run a bit small... Now I'm looking at some Oakley gloves, but don't want to make the same mistake.

oef24
10-30-11, 00:56
I have had good experience with my Oakley gloves. For me, they run true to size. I normally use XL size gloves and the Oakley gloves in XL are perfect for me. Good luck.

O

JR TACTICAL
10-30-11, 02:08
Yeah I currently own pair and they have held up well. I have gotten them wet, sandy, muddy, and just rinsed them off and they are still going strong. Buy with confidence

David Thomas
10-30-11, 08:22
I have owned 2 pair. My experience is that they hold up well, thankfully because they are quite expensive. They also offer fairly good warmth in colder temperatures; however, they are thicker than optimal. In non freezing temperatures, I prefer mechanix.

The oakley medium seems slightly smaller than wiley x gloves. Wiley and mechanix medium seems to be the same.

a0cake
10-30-11, 08:34
Our unit bought a bunch. They last all of a month at most before needing to be replaced. Just like their POS boots.

Basically, all combat gloves are going to rip in short order if you actually use them every day (the range doesn't count). Why spend $70 on Oakleys when they're going to tear apart on you sooner rather than later?

IF YOU DON'T NEED 100% FLASHBURN PROTECTION, then Vicker's Duty Gloves are the solution you're looking for. They are fire resistant, but obviously not quite to the level of 100% Nomex gloves. The Vickers Combat Gloves are also good, but a little long with too much material for my taste

$20 from the website below and leaps and bounds better than the Oakley ones. Once you figure out your size, buy 3 pairs for the price of one Oakley set and you're good for months.

Duty Gloves - http://www.rogueelite.net/Eotac_p/a106.htm

Combat Gloves - http://www.rogueelite.net/Eotac_p/a107.htm

yasnevo
10-30-11, 12:51
Good gloves... to me, they tend to run small...
I get them a size larger and they fit well. Hold up good...
recommended...

USMC_Anglico
10-30-11, 14:05
Our unit bought a bunch. They last all of a month at most before needing to be replaced. Just like their POS boots.

Basically, all combat gloves are going to rip in short order if you actually use them every day (the range doesn't count). Why spend $70 on Oakleys when they're going to tear apart on you sooner rather than later?

IF YOU DON'T NEED 100% FLASHBURN PROTECTION, then Vicker's Duty Gloves are the solution you're looking for. They are fire resistant, but obviously not quite to the level of 100% Nomex gloves.

$20 from the website below and leaps and bounds better than the Oakley ones. Once you figure out your size, buy 3 pairs for the price of one Oakley set and you're good for months.

http://www.rogueelite.net/Eotac_p/a106.htm

Same experience here. We had a bunch of guys buy these on our last deployment, they seemed to run small. They all failed very quickly under everyday use.

I ran a pair of the old vickers elite gloves, they made it through the whole deployment with just a small seam split on one finger.

If you actually use gloves, they will all fail eventually. Some will last longer, my experience is that SWMS, Vickers and USGI flight gloves tend to hold up the best. The new OR gloves also seem to be very good. I wouldn't waste the coin on the Oakley's when there are better gloves out there for less.

SWATcop556
10-30-11, 21:22
I have a pair of the Oakley gloves and I was under-whelmed at best. I find that I'm between sizes and they are too bulky for my tastes for shooting. I prefer a flight glove or the Hatch Operator Shorty gloves for every day use.

duece71
10-30-11, 21:49
I have a pair of the Oakley gloves and I was under-whelmed at best. I find that I'm between sizes and they are too bulky for my tastes for shooting. I prefer a flight glove or the Hatch Operator Shorty gloves for every day use.

Yes, I run them a little tighter than need be but I feel the increase in touch sensitivity is a plus.

jenrick
10-31-11, 21:04
If you do need flame resitance: Mechanix has a line of Carbon X gloves, which have the same if not better flame resistant properties as Nomex. Their about $10-$20 cheaper per pair then Oakleys.

-Jenrick

seb5
10-31-11, 21:26
They are SMALL, tear up and look cool. 1 pair was enough for me. Shorty Operators or equivalent for me.

variablebinary
11-01-11, 01:17
They are very cool, but just okay in terms of performance and practicality.

I prefer Nomex flight gloves to be honest.

They are not bad gloves by any means, but they aren't great gloves, especially for the price.

darr3239
11-01-11, 02:55
I second the nomex flight gloves, and bought a pair for use in a carbine class. They worked great and no signs of wear. Of course it was just one two day class plus a number of recreational shooting outings. They don't have the knucle bumps, or extra padding in the palm, but if you don't need that they are good to go. And you can find them for cheap.

kaltesherz
11-02-11, 01:07
I tried Hatch, Wiley X's, and a few other neato flavor of the month gloves and always found myself going back to issue nomex flight gloves. They last 3-5x longer than anything else.

I did pick up a pair of Oakley FR gloves right before I ETS'd but never got to put them through their paces. Seemed a little on the small side, but not a deal breaker.

For non-FR gloves I actually really like Mechanix, still have and sometimes use my original pair.

KaBar762
11-06-11, 16:25
Whats everyones MOS? Guys at my unit who have deployed for the most part really like the Oakley gloves. This is Combat Engineers going out with Grunts.

When I used them over in Morocco I liked how the palms let air through and kept my hands from becoming a sweaty mess.

aflin
11-06-11, 17:00
I found the oakley gloves to be true to size. However, they don't last as long as I expected. My buddy just came back from the sandbox had the same results. Oakley Gloves just don't last under hard use, same goes with their boots.

I stick with Mechanix gloves for now, they're considerably cheaper so I won't cringe when I do need to replace them

TehLlama
11-07-11, 07:45
I work an odd job where I need to type (a lot), so the WileyX wound up being the best choice, the Oakley's were just okay, but with such thin leather on the palm and fingers they got ate up pretty fast (though my last set of Wiley's tragically got literally eaten by rats).

I've been having a hard time wearing out the POS camelback gloves they issue us, but I wouldn't consider those a viable choice - I too came back to the pairs of Nomex gloves I had for patrol stuff, and normal mechanix ones for working on vehicles.
The only thing I feel that's missing (for clumsy asses like myself) is knuckle protection, but that's not too critical in many cases.

Coastiejohn
11-07-11, 12:13
I go through 1 pair a year with moderate use and find they do run small. If you are getting them at .MIL/LEO prices through usstandardissue.com they are not a bad deal, but not worth full price if you go through them faster than 1 pair every 2 years.

Shoot 1st
11-07-11, 16:10
medium in about all gloves I wear,

when it comes to cool factor yea oakley has it, but that don't make up for durability.

numberFN1
11-07-11, 20:08
Oakleys fit true in my opinion. I wear medium in all my gloves and they fit great. A little tighter than say mechanix gloves but in a good way. As for durability they are okay, but than again everything they make is not really made for durability.

If you would like a recommendation the camelback FR ones are great! Now if only they were a little cheaper -_-

MSteele
11-12-11, 15:15
I purchased a pair of the Oakleys and they fit good but were a bit to bulky for me. I use a pair of the Hatch shooting gloves, they are nice and slick in design and offer great grip.

KevinC
11-13-11, 08:54
I have been using Nomex Flight Gloves long before there were anything called Tactical Gloves.

I've tried everything from Mechanix to Oakleys, as long as they were issued to me. Still have a pair of the Oakleys. They are nice, and I believe in Oakley products, but these gloves just don't offer anymore than a pair of flight gloves gives me.

KevinC

Team Chuck Norris
11-13-11, 18:00
I have a pair of Oakleys and have used them in various environments over the last year and a half. The stitching has held, but with so much stitching, I know that it is just a matter of time before a burst occurs.

Prior to purchase, I called Oakley asking them about their sizing. By size charts for most gloves, I should take a large, but almost without exception, when I actually try them on, I find that I need an extra large to accomodate my fingers. If I had skinnier fingers, the large would be fine.

When I spoke with Oakley, they told me that their gloves were originally designed for mountain biking and that their popularity and use among gun people was unexpected.

Overall, my impression of the gloves is the same as my opinion of all Oakley products: they are vastly overpriced for their function and quality. For example, their M-frames should retail for about $5 given their quality and cost to produce.

Oakley survives mostly due to the "coolness" of their products, but in terms of function and better value, look elsewhere.