PDA

View Full Version : WTF is the point of this?

mkmckinley
10-30-11, 09:30
Spikes Tactical Buffer Spacer (http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/lower-parts-spikes-stt0-buffer-spacer-p-709.html)

Am I missing something here? Why would you ever want/need to use this over a rifle buffer/spring?

nimdabew
10-30-11, 09:31
I think the description is why you would use it. Idiotic? Probably. Worthless? Definitely.

Got an AR-15 that uses a rifle length buffer tube but really want to use your ST-T2 or ST-T3 buffer? Fret no more; The Spike's Tactical ST-T0 Spacer is here to solve your problem!

The ST-T0 is a machined aluminum billet cylinder with a black anodized finish that you place inside of your rifle length buffer tube before you throw in your carbine buffer and carbine buffer spring allowing you to use your favorite ST buffer with your A2, A1, and Magpul PRS equipped guns!

The spacer is easily removed and requires absolutely zero gunsmithing. Just pop it in, replace the buffer and spring, and shoot.

Treat your rifle and yourself to a more pleasurable shooting experience. Order one today!

Caeser25
10-30-11, 09:50
Supressed rifles/carbines with an A1, A2, or A5 rec ext.

GTifosi
10-30-11, 10:11
Picture from link above:
http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/images/prodimg/SLA00T0.jpg

A couple other ways to deal with the issue.

1) make a slug like that out of rubber so it actually has the shimming effect plus some damping.
A plastic slug would have the same effect but keep weight even lower than aluminum or rubber.

2) take the tungsten weights out of the carbine length H+ weight buffer and put them in the rifle or A5 length buffer instead of the steel ones present.
Simular to folks already doing when building custom weight carbine buffers only you can get radically higher finish weights.
If you've already got a few heavy carbine buffers on hand, you've already got the parts neccisary to do the mod.

mkmckinley
10-30-11, 10:56
A couple other ways to deal with the issue.

What's the issue? This thing looks like it fills in the back of a rifle-length buffer tube thereby reducing its effective length. For $27. Why wouldn't you just buy the proper rifle length buffer and rifle spring? How would using this product improve a suppressed weapon?

devinsdad
10-30-11, 11:16
Why, because if you make it...someone will buy it. If it does something or not is a moot point. Just don't buy it.

Dachs
10-30-11, 11:17
Why would you ever want/need to use this over a rifle buffer/spring?

Are you kidding? This is is tactical black with a f***ing spider on it. I'll take two!

GTifosi
10-30-11, 11:23
What's the issue? This thing looks like it fills in the back of a rifle-length buffer tube thereby reducing its effective length. For $27. Why wouldn't you just buy the proper rifle length buffer and rifle spring? How would using this product improve a suppressed weapon?

Forgot the ' around the 'issue' in my reply above.
I don't see the slightest use for the slug either, especially at that price.

Definitely one of those cure looking for a problem type doodads.

All I was offering were some ways around it if it were actually a problem for someone that wouldn't entail paying $27 +s&h for what amounts to be a bit of aluminum that could be had out of the local machine shop scrap bin for $2 to free.
Hell, they might even make you one for $10 if someone happened to be spinning aluminum that day.

I mean if someone really, really, really wants to use a carbine buffer in a rifle extension because they couldn't or didn't want to work out the weight juggling method, spring change, or other known effective means for controlling such action, then who am I to give them shit for it?

I'm the type who if someone comes along and asks what the best way of setting themselves on fire is, instead of giving them a ration of crap about how stupid they are, I'll offer them several solutions to do it with likely better results or less effort/cost/time expended than they intially planned.
Then they learn by doing instead of feeling bad after a browbeating. Which is probably why they wanted to set themselves on fire to begin with....

Iraqgunz
10-30-11, 13:41
How would this work with an A5? The A5 uses a buffer that is shorter than a rifle and longer then a carbine.

Supressed rifles/carbines with an A1, A2, or A5 rec ext.

Echo7847
10-30-11, 15:17
Definitely a no-go on the A5 setup.

Only reason I could see for this is guys running rifle length tubes and want to be able to run spikes tungsten powdered buffers being that they only make them in carbine length currently.

Sounds dumb to me as well but w/e :confused:

polydeuces
10-30-11, 22:24
Spikes.
One small step forward
Two giant leaps back.

Casull
10-31-11, 23:55
I'm no engineer, yet.. but it seems like a practical idea. The Spike's buffer comes with their uppers to ensure it runs as they designed it to.

Some folks own a rifle stocked lower and wanna use just this kind of thing- however, I also think GTifosi had a great idea with a different material.. but what do we know? I guess we'll find out.

I personally think a carbine length atop a rifle lower looks kinda cool.. but don't prefer it.

Nightvisionary
11-01-11, 05:56
Spikes Tactical Buffer Spacer (http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/lower-parts-spikes-stt0-buffer-spacer-p-709.html)

Am I missing something here? Why would you ever want/need to use this over a rifle buffer/spring?

Trying to one up the Magpul AFG perhaps?:D

markm
11-01-11, 07:39

The point of this thing is that there are ****ing RETARDS who own guns. And there's a LOT of money to be made off of those ****ing imbeciles.

CarlosDJackal
11-01-11, 08:13
I already use a Delrin tube for my 9mm Carbine setup (yes, it is necessary). I don't understand why i would want to use an aluminum one for a carbine/rifle combo.

It's just another gimmick looking for a sucker... err... buyer. :fie:

markm
11-01-11, 08:18
I already use a Delrin tube for my 9mm Carbine setup (yes, it is necessary). I don't understand why i would want to use an aluminum one for a carbine/rifle combo.

It's not the material. It's the notion that someone would run the Fixed Stock and not reap the bennies of the Rifle buffer system.

Pistol buffers are a whole other animal.

TMS951
11-01-11, 10:40
Wow, they did a great job making the opposite of a Vltor A5.

Well there is always winners and losers, Vltor is a winner, which makes Spikes a......

Mr. Goodtimes
11-01-11, 10:46
This device is only more proof that retards own guns, and that many of them own spikes tactical.

tgace
11-01-11, 11:02
Not to derail the love train, but would it work for the role intended? What are the possible pitfalls regarding malfunctions etc?

I can't think of any reason I would use something like that, so I honestly don't know if that thing is good or bad, but my personal opinion doesn't mean that it wouldn't work for the reason it was designed.

Erik 1
11-01-11, 11:20
I may be retarded, and I'm definitely way at the bottom of the learning curve, but...In my case, I did a fair amount of research and settled on a 14.5 inch mid-length upper and a lower with A2 receiver extension (using the M.A.G.S. EFX-A1 stock). I picked this combination on the basis of earlier reports that suggested that a 14.5 mid-length and rifle buffer setup worked well and because it allowed me to assemble the CT compliant gun that I wanted. After I ordered everything, I read newer follow-on reports indicating that the 14.5 mid-length/rifle buffer combination wasn't reliable over the longer term. So now I am running a carbine spring and H buffer with the 9mm Delrin spacer referred to above in a rifle-length fixed stock. At some point, I will play around with different buffer weights, etc. I look at that as an opportunity to learn more about the system and maybe hit upon a better setup for my needs. For now, though, what I have works, suits my needs and has been reliable.

markm
11-01-11, 11:21
I may be retarded, and I'm definitely way at the bottom of the learning curve, but...In my case

Your case is the exception. My 14.5 middy won't run a rifle buffer reliably anymore either.

Suwannee Tim
11-01-11, 11:44
This device is only more proof that retards own guns, and that many of them own spikes tactical.

Better proof that retards own guns is the Taurus Judge but I don't fault Taurus for making them. A dollar made off a dumbass is just as green as any other dollar.

Wait a minute, I own a Spikes upper! Does that make me a retard?

orionz06
11-01-11, 11:56
I guess this would be awesome if the ST buffers worked as designed.

markm
11-01-11, 12:06
Better proof that retards own guns is the Taurus Judge but I don't fault Taurus for making them.

I saw some dumb asses that have a training class designed around that ****ing retarded gun. It was on one of the outdoor channel shooting shows.

Evil Bert
11-01-11, 12:14
So Spikes is "offering" people a way to use a carbine gas system upper with their über cool ST-T2 & T3 buffers and an A2 Rifle stock.

I have seen Carbines running on lowers with an A2 stock. I have seen them run just fine really. Why would someone need to use the ST-T2 or T3 buffer with the Spike's carbine upper unless (either I am missing something here) their gas port is oversized and you need to run it with the ST-T2 buffer, etc to ensure proper functioning. If that is the case, then that is one more reason to not buy a Spike's upper.

I guess I am wondering why you would "NEED" to run the ST-T2 in the upper when running an A2 stock.

Maybe someone at Spike's can chime in and help us understand.

markm
11-01-11, 12:17
I guess I am wondering why you would "NEED" to run the ST-T2 in the upper when running an A2 stock.

The Spikes buffer is another ****ing retarded item. It's like a retardation snowball effect.

scottryan
11-01-11, 12:31
Every time I see that spider I want to puke.

mkmckinley
11-01-11, 12:32
I saw some dumb asses that have a training class designed around that ****ing retarded gun. It was on one of the outdoor channel shooting shows.

I could do a training class for the Judge. I would train everyone to sell it and buy a real gun.

orionz06
11-01-11, 12:35
So Spikes is "offering" people a way to use a carbine gas system upper with their über cool ST-T2 & T3 buffers and an A2 Rifle stock.

I have seen Carbines running on lowers with an A2 stock. I have seen them run just fine really. Why would someone need to use the ST-T2 or T3 buffer with the Spike's carbine upper unless (either I am missing something here) their gas port is oversized and you need to run it with the ST-T2 buffer, etc to ensure proper functioning. If that is the case, then that is one more reason to not buy a Spike's upper.

Wouldn't the proper buffer in the A2 tube be lighter?

wackjum
11-01-11, 12:58

The Spikes buffer is filled with tungsten powder instead of balls of weight. It is supposed to smooth out recoil impulse. I don't know if it really does this, but if there are people who think it makes a difference then this is a way for them to use the buffer with a rifle length receiver extension.

If you don't believe a product then don't buy it. But I don't see a problem with a company offering choices.

FYI I don't own one of these and have no plans to.

Grease Monkey
11-01-11, 13:01

Couldn't have said it better!

orionz06
11-01-11, 13:07
It is supposed to smooth out recoil impulse. I don't know if it really does this, but if there are people who think it makes a difference then this is a way for them to use the buffer with a rifle length receiver extension.

It does not work 100% and can cause issues. It does not solve a problem and should have no place in anyone's gun. Unless of course you like the logo.

wackjum
11-01-11, 13:11
It does not work 100% and can cause issues. It does not solve a problem and should have no place in anyone's gun. Unless of course you like the logo.

What kind of issues?

orionz06
11-01-11, 13:14
Bolt bounce and feed issues. Take a bottle of water and shake it around. You can get to a certain point where the water is not effectively reacting against the bottle and it is essentially lighter momentarily. That can happen with this buffer. FWIW though, some folks do enjoy them.

Casull
11-01-11, 13:39
I agree with wackjum's "don't like it, don't eat it" statement.

I've not seen any problems with the buffer. I have not found any evidence proving that this buffer has this problem. I think it could be possible and don't discount it, though. I will see if there's a way I can test this since I have access to an ST-15LE upper and ST-T2 buffer.

That said, I do believe Mr. Stickman as of July 2010 said:

I use one in my duty carbine, and use some in my training weapons also. I am very happy with them.

I'm eager to learn about whatever issues anyone can cite.

Edit: and after some research it's easy to see why there is a market in which people would want to use their ST-T2 buffer if they can help it.

Suwannee Tim
11-01-11, 17:04
My hometown just hosted the "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" AKA the Florida Georgia game. Now football fans love their team and hate the other teams. My stepdaughter's baby-daddy loves his team so much he had a gator tattooed on his leg. And buddy, he hates the Bulldogs. Hates them, hates them, hates them. Hates Seminoles even worse. Kind of like some of you guys hate Spike's Tactical. Why? Because it's so much fun, that's why.

Bolt bounce and feed issues. Take a bottle of water and shake it around. You can get to a certain point where the water is not effectively reacting against the bottle and it is essentially lighter momentarily. That can happen with this buffer. FWIW though, some folks do enjoy them.

Einstein told us that mass increases with velocity. Now you are telling us that it's just the opposite? You are telling us that Einstein was bullshitting us all along?

orionz06
11-01-11, 17:28
Einstein told us that mass increases with velocity. Now you are telling us that it's just the opposite? You are telling us that Einstein was bullshitting us all along?

I think you are missing what I was trying to say.

The powder is not as effect at reacting against the walls of the buffer, in some instance. To correctly state it, these are my thoughts as to why it has happened.

GTifosi
11-01-11, 21:44

Linear travelling mass with increasing velocity over time, sure.
Resiprocating mass with a fixed max velocity and full stop at both ends of travel with a damped motion in one direction and a hard stop in the other with outside force causing the motion of the device the weight is contained in, not so much.

The bottle anology is a good one actually.
To take it a step further, create a solid unmoving mass by freezing the water in the same bottle it and see how differently that reacts to being shaken.
The weight is the same, the velocity and motion is the same, but the reaction at end of travel is quite different AFA applied forces.

Nightvisionary
11-01-11, 23:50
The Spikes buffer is filled with tungsten powder instead of balls of weight. It is supposed to smooth out recoil impulse. I don't know if it really does this, but if there are people who think it makes a difference then this is a way for them to use the buffer with a rifle length receiver extension.

If you don't believe a product then don't buy it. But I don't see a problem with a company offering choices.

FYI I don't own one of these and have no plans to.

My Spikes carbine gives a much smoother recoil impulse than previous carbines I have owned. Possibly due to the buffer.

vicious_cb
11-02-11, 00:13
I T&E'd a spikes buffer side by side with a H2, the recoil impulse was slightly harsher with the ST-T2. Not to mention if you watch 87GN's high speed cams of various buffers, you can see a slight amount of bolt bounce. Will the ST-T2 buffer cause your gun to break? No. Is it better than a standard H or H2 buffer? Not that I have witnessed.

gs013564
11-02-11, 04:24
I T&E'd a spikes buffer side by side with a H2, the recoil impulse was slightly harsher with the ST-T2. Not to mention if you watch 87GN's high speed cams of various buffers, you can see a slight amount of bolt bounce. Will the ST-T2 buffer cause your gun to break? No. Is it better than a standard H or H2 buffer? Not that I have witnessed.

I'm not... nevermind I'm asking for trouble. :D but seriously. Is the m4-le asking for trouble? Minus this obvious frivolous part?

cop1211
11-02-11, 09:03
I've used all of the types of H buffers, I've also used the ST-2T, over 22 years of shooting rifles.

To me the ST-2T gives it a different type of impulse.

Does the ST-2T work "better" than an H buffer, no.

Does an H buffer work "better" than a ST-2T no.

Christ its a buffer, find the one that you like and use it.

I have to wonder if the ST-2T was made by Noveske, or BCM, would there be so much "hate" for it????

And yes, I have Noveske, BCM, Spikes, KAC, LaRue, Mega, DD , etc. gear.

orionz06
11-02-11, 09:08
I have to wonder if the ST-2T was made by Noveske, or BCM, would there be so much "hate" for it????

I would still be critical of it for the same reasons mentioned.

tony413
11-02-11, 09:52
how about we just use an adjustable gas block and control the flow of gas input. would this not solve the problem of bolt bounce?

markm
11-02-11, 09:55

Yeah... I would still think it was dumb. The fact that it is Spikes means you know what customer group it's aimed at....

Shoot! Colt is making a piston gun! I'll be the first in line to call that shit RETARDED!!

Retarded is Retarded... Colt or Spikes.

armatac
11-02-11, 11:02
You do have to admit that the heavier buffer and weaker spring on the full length kit will change the function of your upper. You do see that by running a spacer in the back of the extended tube you can then have the same buffer/spring combination as you use on the collapsed kit. You then have the same system with the 2 different kits. It should have been designed that way,(by just shortening the longer tube). If you take your carbine upper that is nicely ejecting to the 4 to 5 position and you put on the big stock/buffer then that thing might be a jammamatic, especially on a full magazine. How can you argue about that? I am frankly surprised that there isn’t the largest warning ever put out that the use of the 2 different stocks will cause major changes. Some peope, including armorers for the local nuke plant, do not know the parameters of what they are playing with.
The amount of bounce of a carrier can vary from when a magazine is full to empty.
The buffer stuff-tungsten powder has been used by other real manufacturers but some have issue. So do some regular buffers. I have had a few stuck over the years. Light Primer Strike mayhem. A powder wouldn’t get stuck, but stripping rounds causes internal buffer shift, then the sudden acceleration when the round is popping up to the bolt may allow a shift, then there must be enough movement for the effective internal mass to cancel the bounce.
**I swear if you have ever taken an ARX-160, (I know it wasn’t the first and it is even based somewhat on AR-18) and played with it you would really see what you can do without a buffer. Think of the actual mass you have that is reciprocating---well that mass being at the rear of the buffer from going rearward isn’t giving you stripping momentum, more like a bounce protector for stripping rounds that isn’t needed, anyhow I have never seen a gun that is so light and has so much residual energy. The SCAR is a very strong mechanical group as well but I think its bolt catch should have held the carrier rearward more because its mass/stiffness of the bolt group is awesome in motion but weak off the catch, not from the charging handle though. When we first tested our 150 round magazines with FN about in about 2007 or 8, we had to modify the dummies that are there when the magazine was empty because with an AR it would ride over, or hit and stop, the SCAR sheared a dummy link, and put the dummy in the chamber(ended that session ). We had to increase the taper on the back of the dummy, switch to a hardened steel, add 2 figure 8 dummy links, and add an o-ring buffer between the 2 links before it was all good with the SCAR. Then it was definitely good for any other system.

markm-I can't even say retarted anymore, my wife is a teacher for "special needs" children. She gets mighty pissed at me.

Mr. Goodtimes
11-02-11, 12:45
Better proof that retards own guns is the Taurus Judge but I don't fault Taurus for making them. A dollar made off a dumbass is just as green as any other dollar.

Wait a minute, I own a Spikes upper! Does that make me a retard?

No Tim, you took it wrong. The way Spikes markets their stuff it lends it self to be taken by retards. Spikes is building a good rifle these days, much better then their rifles of old; it's just their marketing. Is everybody that owns a Spikes Rifle a retard? Absolutely not, but they have a very strong fanboy following that seems to consist mostly of arfcom.

While I would conduct business practices different I certainly don't fault Spikes for making a buck. Some of the guys that work there are good people, too.

Magic_Salad0892
11-02-11, 16:37
I'm digging the dick logo. :p

I also love that comment about building a reverse A5. Lmao.

armatac
11-02-11, 16:53
oh and ejection pattern is very important. Yes it can be signs of lots of different conditions or problems. But it is an immediate indicator of the state of the weapon functioning. Your rifle should eject forward with hot brass and more rear ward with weak brass. If you're ejecting to the rear with hot brass then you better not run weak brass, or heavy buffer or......

Whoever says that ejection patterns don't matter does not shoot full auto. A gun will eject to the rear in semi- a ton longer before it will shortstroke in full auto, or maybe it just seems that way becuase of the rate increase.

*This is because the extractor,ejector springs hardly change this, I have used new ejector and extractor springs compared to old with little variance in ejection pattern.

if you're ejecting to the rear with hot brass and it was once going forward that would be an indication of needed attention, cleaning and lubing may help

if you're bouncing your rounds off the handguard then that is a sign something is hauling ass, if you're not shooting the hottest ammo ever you should adjust.

if you're ejecting at 5:30 with hot brass, you better hope you don't ever come across weaker.

If your ejection is all over the place, then you need to look at a few things, your ejection should be consistent once you have fired a few rounds.

Chamber tightness, blah blah blah-all kinds of things effect a good running gun,

*I have been fooled, you can have a gun eject forward on the short stroke, this is not usually the case though, but it is something that burned me bad in a demo, I only had an H2 and the gun was iffy, well it was ejecting forward when the problems happened, changed to H3 and totally wouldn't cycle.

didn't meant to derail just don't believe people can't see the relationships

parishioner
11-02-11, 17:10

Hope you're near a toilet.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/297723_158767790885852_145304132232218_262739_439171285_n.jpg

11am1a
11-02-11, 17:14

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/297723_158767790885852_145304132232218_262739_439171285_n.jpg

So I wonder how many people are going to buy that and try and find a way to mount it on their spikes M4s

Suwannee Tim
11-02-11, 17:23

That is just way cool beans! I want one! But one with a snorkel so I can run it under water!

Casull
11-02-11, 21:32
If you think about these theories of the shaking a water bottle maybe that's exactly what makes it have a "soft" recoil.

Shaking one I don't feel much room for the water theory error as it is btw. I guess it's still viable.

orionz06
11-02-11, 21:33

Not a very PG-13 picture...

Casull
11-03-11, 00:26
Certain kinds of people tend to see some pretty interesting things when they're half-awake and looking at patterns. :big_boss:

SlimShadydSkip
01-04-20, 00:37

I have had several questions about this specific subject regarding my very first build. When ordering my Stock, I could not get detailed questions answered. I told them that I required a Carbine Length Buffer Tube/Receiver Extension. As I am running a 16" barrel w/ Carbine Gas System, an adjustable (Bleed Off or Restriction) Gas Block, and I purchased a Geissele Super 42 Spring and H2 Buffer ahead of time to use, also running a Lantac E-BCG and Fostech Echo II Binary Trigger. When the Stock came in It was Rifle Length, with a Rifle Spring and Buffer. The Stock still has a short 1.17" long spacer behind the Spring. I know that I could just simply run this Rifle Length Buffer & Spring even with my Carbine Gas System. But would really like to be able to use the Geissele Super 42 Carbine Buffer & Spring I have here. So is this spacer from Spikes what I need. And would I replace the Spacer already in my Stock with This one, or Use Both? I am really confused here. And can not get any straight answers out of the company I purchased the stock from. They are in Italy and there could be a language barrier.
Stock I am using: https://www.ipscstore.com/en/stocks/1848-57-206151-toni-system-cf11ar15-adjustable-stock-11-for-ar15.html

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton,
Scott Richardson
Maricopa, Az

Update, I have also thought of finding a Carbine Length Pistol Buffer Tube that this specific Stock could mount to. in order to use my Geissele Super 42 Spring and Buffer. But havent been able to find one with the correct outside diameter for this stock to still mount to it. I don't care about it being blue and Black would actually be fine (Adding a bit of contrast) I looked at the Strike Industries Carbine Length Pistol Buffer but it seems to be 1.25" in diameter and the buffer tube that mine came with and is correct size for the Stock to mount to is 1.17" in diameter. Anyone know of a Carbine Length Pistol Buffer Tube that is close enough to 1.17" that this Stock will mount to Please let me know. Thx again...

Vegas
01-04-20, 01:07
Nice necro.... welcome to the forum.

26 Inf
01-04-20, 02:36
I have had several questions about this specific subject regarding my very first build. When ordering my Stock, I could not get detailed questions answered. I told them that I required a Carbine Length Buffer Tube/Receiver Extension. As I am running a 16" barrel w/ Carbine Gas System, an adjustable (Bleed Off or Restriction) Gas Block, and I purchased a Geissele Super 42 Spring and H2 Buffer ahead of time to use, also running a Lantac E-BCG and Fostech Echo II Binary Trigger. When the Stock came in It was Rifle Length, with a Rifle Spring and Buffer. The Stock still has a short 1.17" long spacer behind the Spring. I know that I could just simply run this Rifle Length Buffer & Spring even with my Carbine Gas System. But would really like to be able to use the Geissele Super 42 Carbine Buffer & Spring I have here. So is this spacer from Spikes what I need. And would I replace the Spacer already in my Stock with This one, or Use Both? I am really confused here. And can not get any straight answers out of the company I purchased the stock from. They are in Italy and there could be a language barrier.
Stock I am using: https://www.ipscstore.com/en/stocks/1848-57-206151-toni-system-cf11ar15-adjustable-stock-11-for-ar15.html

Thanks a ton,
Scott Richardson
Maricopa, Az

Update, I have also thought of finding a Carbine Length Pistol Buffer Tube that this specific Stock could mount to. in order to use my Geissele Super 42 Spring and Buffer. But havent been able to find one with the correct outside diameter for this stock to still mount to it. I don't care about it being blue and Black would actually be fine (Adding a bit of contrast) I looked at the Strike Industries Carbine Length Pistol Buffer but it seems to be 1.25" in diameter and the buffer tube that mine came with and is correct size for the Stock to mount to is 1.17" in diameter. Anyone know of a Carbine Length Pistol Buffer Tube that is close enough to 1.17" that this Stock will mount to Please let me know. Thx again...

Pistol tubes from different mfgrs may not be a standard OD.

If you compare the pics of the strike industries buffer tube: https://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/products/ar/ar-stock/si-ar-carpre-slick.html

and this one from Brownell's: https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-hardware/ar-15-pistol-buffer-tube-prod102334.aspx

It is apparent they are different OD's. Unfortunately the Brownells doesn't go into the specs enough to list OD.

This pistol tube from AR-Stoner lists the OD as 1.175 which is within 5 thousandths of the number you used, might work:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018622985

Ar-Stoner is probably not highly regarded by most folks on this forum, I have no experience with them at all. The tube is made of 6061-T6 aluminum, whereas the mil-spec receiver extensions is 7075-T6. This might give you some pause.

Good luck.

ETA: Right now you are in first place for 2020 Necro Post of the year - roughly 9 years two months off the top of my head.

MegademiC
01-04-20, 06:13
Deleted- necro...

Skip, that stock comes with its a buffer system, is it proprietary, carbine, rifle?

JediGuy
01-04-20, 06:33
OK, seems like you ordered something from Italy, which may have led to some difficulties in communication. I get it, I once ordered a motorcycle headlight from Italy because it just looked darn cool. And it worked.
The receiver extension/stock product seems to have no pedigree in the US, so understand some may be concerned about quality. It’s a bit of an unknown. Or, is this an established brand for sport shooting in Europe? I’m genuinely curious. I think there is missed opportunity in the US for well-respected manufacturers fo produce “cool,” not scary looking products for AR’s.
I digress.
Since they sent you a rifle buffer and spring, my suggestion would be to sell or return your Geissele Super 42 kit...and if you really want the “cool” spring, just get the Super 42 rifle spring from Geissele, which uses a standard rifle buffer (which you already have).
That 1) eliminates a failure point/proprietary parts and also 2) keeps you with a rifle length buffer system, which should usually be better. And it should 3) save you money. A trifecta...

26 Inf
01-04-20, 12:49
JediGuy for the win!

MegademiC
01-04-20, 18:20
It looks very similar to the xlr stock.

Zirk208
01-05-20, 16:14

Thanks a ton,
Scott Richardson
Maricopa, Az

Life is too short to buy unknown products from Estonia.

26 Inf
01-05-20, 20:11
Life is too short to buy unknown products from Estonia.

Bet he has already figured that out, let's try to help him clean up the mess.

TMS951
01-05-20, 21:24

Thanks a ton,
Scott Richardson
Maricopa, Az

You’d be better off with the a rifle buffer and spring in my experience.

The super 42 was designed around the specific problematic constraint of the carbine buffer tube length. It is a compromise(d) system. The buffers are proprietary diameter, so are the weights. It is one of the only hot new buffer systems I’ve ever tried that was a problem. The sping was too stiff for a gun of mine, I replaced the super 42 spring and H buffer with a fresh colt carbine spring and H buffer and the gun ran again. The gun was short stoking.

A5 and the rifle system it mimics have proven to be the best.

A well tuned carbine buffer can run well enough. There in lines the issue with the super 42, proprietary pieces which leads to poor tune ability.

That said I ordered a rifle super spring from Geisele. No buffer was offered so I hope it takes standard A5/rifle buffers. Time will tell who knows when if ever my Black Friday order is shipping. It’ll fun to play with if it fits. The description was lacking.

JediGuy
01-06-20, 07:11
I hope it takes standard A5/rifle buffers.

It does.

Curlew
01-06-20, 14:24
Anyone know of a Carbine Length Pistol Buffer Tube that is close enough to 1.17" that this Stock will mount to Please let me know. Thx again...

I recently came across an oddball pistol buffer tube that might be just the ticket. It’s made by Midwest Industries. Internally it’s like a regular carbine tube: 1” ID by 7” deep. Outer diameter on the one I got measures ~ 1.167”. What’s unusual is that the overall length is 9”, rather than the 7.25” or so of a typical carbine tube. The rear 2” is solid, apart from a small hole down the centerline. I thought the extra length might suit your adjustable stock. I bought it from Patriot Defense Gear, where it was $15 for just the tube or $25 for a kit that also includes a carbine buffer, spring, end plate and castle nut.

You mention some confusion about spacers, and I’m kinda confused too looking at the webpage for the Italian stock. Can’t make sense of that spacer.... I took a few measurements of standard buffers and tubes that might be helpful:

A carbine buffer is 3.25” long, so if you drop it into a carbine tube (without the spring), there’s 3.75” of free space forward of the buffer. A rifle buffer is 5.9” long, and the rifle tube has a depth of ~9.65” inside, so here too the free space is 3.75”. Drop a VLTOR A5 buffer into an A5 tube, same answer.

And it makes sense that they’re all the same —- this free space is what accommodates the rearward travel of the bolt carrier, which should be the same whether using a carbine, rifle or A5 setup. If it’s much shorter than 3.75” then the BCG can’t recoil far enough to pick up the next round. If it’s too long, the carrier could crash into something. You might want to sanity-check whatever combination of buffer, tube, and spacers you have to verify that the free space is OK.