PDA

View Full Version : Bolt catch buffer and spring stuck..

rushca01
10-30-11, 19:48
After a range session today I noticed my bolt catch wasn't working right. Got home and and sure enough something was wrong as the bolt catch was moving freely in the lower. So I very painstakenly drifted the roll pin out ...ie scratched my SBR lower reciever....and removed the bolt catch. The buffer and spring will not come out of the lower, I can push it in a little but it won't pop out. Any ideas?

An Undocumented Worker
10-30-11, 20:50
Soak in oil for a bit and maybe try some compressed air.

Or if you can be really careful, try degreasing the plunger with rubbing alcohol, let it dry and put the tiniest drop of superglue on the head of a pin and try gluing the pin to the plunger, and pull it out.

steelonsteel
10-30-11, 21:32
You can also try a very strong rare earth magnet to get out the buffer, and then tweezer out the spring. if NONE of these work, you can, AS A LAST RESORT, drill a very smal hole on teh top side of that cut out so you can push it out. This will not effect funtion, and no one should be able to see it from the outside, but I'd still only do this as a VERY last resort.

Tweak
10-30-11, 22:57
deburr the inside edge of the bolt catch detent hole with a sharp blade.

Iraqgunz
10-31-11, 05:22
I assume you mean the plunger and spring for the bolt catch, correct?

rushca01
10-31-11, 07:34
Yes, I was referring to the bolt catch plunger and spring. I have heard it called "buffer" before.

I used a sharp knife blade to and pushed the plunger down some and scraped the outside edge of the plunger hole. After a few light passes it popped out. Must have been some dirt or debris in there maybe? Anyways It seems to be moving freely now. Anybody have a spare roll pin they are will to donate...I fubared that one up (long story).

munch520
10-31-11, 13:33
Anybody have a spare roll pin they are will to donate...I fubared that one up (long story).

Heavy tape (electrical) and a small tack hammer will help with preventing marring while pounding that pin in/out.

rushca01
10-31-11, 14:14
Heavy tape (electrical) and a small tack hammer will help with preventing marring while pounding that pin in/out.

This was done....but I still managed to mess it up a little.

I'm over it, it's just a gun in the end.