PDA

View Full Version : My first Oregon bull elk +pics

usmc1371
10-30-11, 21:12
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i365/usmc_1371/elktwo.jpg
This is my first bull elk in Oregon. I have had the high desert tag four times now and so far only come away with one cow, made up for all those miles on this hunt. I got him on my first afternoon, went out to check for sign and do some glassing to maybe find something for the morning and got lucky. About half hour before dark I glassed up this bull about 900 yd away. I had a good cross wind and cover so I hauled ass to close the distance. At three hundred yards I spotted him looking right at me and threw up my rifle but all I had was an off hand shot at the head so I held out. The bull turned and walked about ten yards and offerd me a broad side shot. I couldn't take a knee in the waist deep sage so I had to take him off hand. Hit him tight in behind the shoulders and he went about twenty feet and fell over. Ruger M77, 180 grain nosler partition, 300 win mag.
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i365/usmc_1371/elkfour.jpg

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i365/usmc_1371/elkseven.jpg

TOrrock
10-30-11, 21:19
That's damn nice.

Congratulations.

J-Dub
10-30-11, 21:20
Awesome Elk!

I hope some day i can get one...

SeriousStudent
10-30-11, 23:14
Dang, he's a big son of a gun! You definitely did well. I'd have a grin that size also. :D

And elk jerky is one of my favorite foods on the planet. Be sure you make up a batch, it's well worth the effort.

kry226
10-31-11, 06:03
Congrats!

Grizzly16
10-31-11, 07:57
Nice bull and nice shooting. Hunting elk out there is on my bucket list.

Stangman
10-31-11, 09:54
Great looking bull

I wish we had Elk available here, or at least closer to here

Watrdawg
10-31-11, 10:50
Congrats!! Great looking bull

odiesplace
10-31-11, 20:22
Nice bull, I will be looking for one on the coast range very soon

usmc1371
11-01-11, 11:40
Thanks guys. Getting a nice bull elk on pulblic ground in my home state has been a dream of mine since I started hunting 21 years ago.

brzusa.1911
11-01-11, 11:46
Lots of meat.

bgoode
11-01-11, 19:47
nice BULL!!!!

Nightvisionary
11-02-11, 06:13
Wow, awesome bull. Im going to be hunting first season coast elk in Oregon on the 12th.

usmc1371
11-04-11, 22:48
You guys who are headed out to the coast range got your work cut out for you. Those bulls weigh a fair bit more than the skinny se oregon elk. Rain, mud, steep black berry coverd slippery hills, truck loads of road hunting "elk hunters" on every road. Dam I am glad I drew a high desert tag.

Nightvisionary
11-06-11, 19:07
You guys who are headed out to the coast range got your work cut out for you. Those bulls weigh a fair bit more than the skinny se oregon elk. Rain, mud, steep black berry coverd slippery hills, truck loads of road hunting "elk hunters" on every road. Dam I am glad I drew a high desert tag.

I agree. The last time I shot an elk in the coast range was so much work getting it out that it put me off hunting for a few years.:)

Brimstone
11-16-11, 16:30
And elk jerky is one of my favorite foods on the planet. Be sure you make up a batch, it's well worth the effort.
+1 on the elk jerky. Feel free to send samples out to us when you get it finished. :D

DemonRat
11-16-11, 16:43
Nice Elk man. +1 on that elk jerky too. It's tasty when done right. I hunt the coastal area for elk mainly the Saddle Mtn unit and Wilson. The Wilson's a little better for me as I have access to 20 acres of private land thats got a decent cabin on it. It's south of the spruce run camp ground great area to hunt. Plus Saddle Mtn's got the elk refuge in it and I know a few people that live close by that like to have the elk taken out of there area. So it's a good area for me to hunt as most of it is not to bad to go walking thru.Plus a decent sidexside can get you around real good. I agree on the road hunters they suck elk ball's. most of them are people who haven't scouted out the area at all.

Nightvisionary
11-17-11, 00:56
Nice Elk man. +1 on that elk jerky too. It's tasty when done right. I hunt the coastal area for elk mainly the Saddle Mtn unit and Wilson. The Wilson's a little better for me as I have access to 20 acres of private land thats got a decent cabin on it. It's south of the spruce run camp ground great area to hunt. Plus Saddle Mtn's got the elk refuge in it and I know a few people that live close by that like to have the elk taken out of there area. So it's a good area for me to hunt as most of it is not to bad to go walking thru.Plus a decent sidexside can get you around real good. I agree on the road hunters they suck elk ball's. most of them are people who haven't scouted out the area at all.

I just returned from hunting God's Valley in the Oregon Trask unit. 15 years ago that place was an elk hunters dream. I remember 7 out of 9 hunters filling their tags back then.

I took a break from it after a lousy season 3 years ago. Logging, a deluge of road hunters, and mismanagement from the ODFW have ruined it. Guess I will have to find a new place in the North coast range.

handlebar1980
11-20-11, 19:38
Great job and story.

zacii
11-20-11, 19:42
Nice bull, and an excellent shot, too.

That's not easy to run 600 yards and then make a long shot off-hand. I couldn't do it.

usmc1371
11-21-11, 16:38
I won't lie to you I thought my heart was going to pop when I got to the 300 yd mark and spoted him looking at me. I have been hunting for 21 years now and I don't normally get "buck feaver" but I had it real bad for a couple seconds. I had to actully tell myself to breath and relax, center the crosshair and squeez the shot.

When people ask me about elk hunting I normally tell them. If you want to get an elk show up in good enough shape to get to them, an elk rifle loaded with elk bullets, and the skill to make a clean shot from a field position. Oh, and keep shooting till its down elk can take a dam sight more lead than a deer.

hyper45
04-30-12, 19:12
very nice congrats