PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 30.06 that wont bankrupt me.

TunaFisherman
10-31-11, 00:01
I am looking to buy a bolt action 30.06. I want to be wise with my money and bolt action hunting rifles are not my specialty.
I plan to use this on a pig hunt in California to start. The guy taking us is a experienced hunter. He has access to private ranch land.

Today I looked at Howa,Ruger,Tikka and Weatherby all in the $500 to $700 range. Some were very heavy and some did not feel right when up to my shoulder.... I think it was the Tikka that was so light.

I plan on using a spare 3-9x40 scope I have.

Any suggestions would be helpful, I'm no hunter.
Sorry If some how I missed a thread on this same question.

Also what Ammo? I need a good punch and I think we can only use soft tip.

kmrtnsn
10-31-11, 00:27
Why .30-06, especially for pig? If you are looking for decent and inexpensive look to some of the Savage hunting packages. Personally, I'd look no larger than .308 for a good general, all-around caliber.

Grizzly16
10-31-11, 06:08
What kind of ranges are you hunting at and how big of pigs? I'm with kmrtnsn on the .308 rifle. I've got a rem 700 spl in 30.06 now and would love to swap it with someone for a .308 rem 700. Ammo commonality with other battle rifles would be nice.

As for ammo. Just about any soft point in a 30.06 is going to murder a hog if your shot placement is good. I"m a fan of Rem core lokt or Winchester soft point 165gr bullets. My 700 is a big fan of the Winchester ammo for accuracy.

warrendee
10-31-11, 06:11
I am looking to buy a bolt action 30.06. I want to be wise with my money and bolt action hunting rifles are not my specialty.
I plan to use this on a pig hunt in California to start. The guy taking us is a experienced hunter. He has access to private ranch land.

Today I looked at Howa,Ruger,Tikka and Weatherby all in the $500 to $700 range. Some were very heavy and some did not feel right when up to my shoulder.... I think it was the Tikka that was so light.

I plan on using a spare 3-9x40 scope I have.

Any suggestions would be helpful, I'm no hunter.
Sorry If some how I missed a thread on this same question.

Also what Ammo? I need a good punch and I think we can only use soft tip.

Why not look at some of the HOWA's? reasonably priced in a wide variety of calibers. The Ranchland Compact is a nice model

ucrt
10-31-11, 06:58
'

Lately, I've seen Rem 700 in the $400 range and if IIRC, it included a cheap scope. I think it was at Cabelas and Dick's. Academy would probably match their prices.

Avoid the Rem 710 & 770.

Grizzly16
10-31-11, 07:48
dupe.. stupid 504.

J-Dub
10-31-11, 10:32
Honestly if this is a hunting gun, why not a Stevens 200? They are cheap (a few on gb for 270ish right now) and from everything i've heard they are accurate.

broylz
10-31-11, 12:18
30-06 will do anything the .308 will do and more with heavier bullets. .308 gets the nod if you want to go subsonic in the future or have other battle rifles in the same caliber.

i would look for a gently used remington 700 BDL in .30-06 and use the 3-9x scope with 180gr core-lokts. thats been the standard for my family and friends as far as deer hunting in MO, KS and TN.

another option i would look at is the Savage 110 or similar stevens. my first rifle was a Mossberg 100 ATR in .30-06 and it was a decent shooter with a bushnell 3-9x off the shelf at walmart.

another thought to check into, but i think i remember hearing in the past that California was going to mandate lead free bullets? i may be wrong or they might not have went through with it but i'd double check.

legumeofterror
10-31-11, 12:34
A few years ago I went looking for my first bolt gun, with a budget of ~$500 and in the same caliber you are considering. I ended up with a Weatherby Vanguard. It is a bit heavier than the others, but the stock was much nicer being a B&C and the accuracy guarantee didn't hurt. I would recommend the same if you want something nice out of the box and do not intend to change anything later. Otherwise a Savage 110 or Remington 700 will have a greater aftermarket available for changes.

The Weatherby is made by Howa btw.

BCmJUnKie
10-31-11, 12:56
I love my -06. That round is DEVASTATING.

I almost traded it once for a .308, Im glad I didnt.

I like .308 alot, but you cant match the -06. And it has history.

I shoot 180gr soft point and ballistic tips.

We took 2 5 gallon buckets with lids, full of water, my friend shot first with his .308.

It was impressive to say the least, mangled the bucket. It split it but it was still intact.

When I shot, the entire back of the bucket was gone. And the lid was toast.

Check out pawn shops for the older Rem 700. Then build it.

Heres my before and after

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/Danger131/700Remfront.jpg

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/Danger131/700Rem.jpg

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/Danger131/BoySOFSumMER.jpg

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/Danger131/DSC01850.jpg

Powder_Burn
10-31-11, 13:22
The Weatherby Vaguard (Howa) is a good value and higher quality than alternatives at the same price point. It's basically a copy of a Sako action with horrendous roll marks. Performance will be good though and fewer corners are cut in production (unlike the others mentioned). Good solid rifle that is easy to upgrade over time.

kmrtnsn
10-31-11, 20:07
For clarification, .308 was the largest caliber recommended as an "all-around" general purpose cartridge, too big in my opinion for feral hogs under 500lbs for most short range shooting solutions that feral hogs are taken at.

Back to the OP, why .30-06?

callen3615
10-31-11, 20:18
.308 > 30-06

callen3615
10-31-11, 20:19
Honestly if this is a hunting gun, why not a Stevens 200? They are cheap (a few on gb for 270ish right now) and from everything i've heard they are accurate.

Holy shit no.

First rifle I bought, never again. Never shot better than 3-4 MOA with match ammo

tpd223
10-31-11, 21:36
I have had a lot of good luck with Savage rifles over the years. I have yet to meet a Savage that won't group.

callen3615
10-31-11, 22:46
I have had a lot of good luck with Savage rifles over the years. I have yet to meet a Savage that won't group.

Well you didnt meet mine. It was a stevens 200. Theres a thread on snipers hide about it. I did alot of work to it, never shot better than 3 moa. Absolute trash. I would stay the hell away from anything stevens, savage is probably ok.

You cant go wrong with remington tho.

TunaFisherman
10-31-11, 23:00
Thanks for all the replies. Some good info.
I do know I could use a larger caliber rifle, but I also wanted a good deer rifle.
I asked the guy in the know about what I needed and he says he kills the pigs with a 30.06.

So I went today and held a Marlin ($320 wthout scope) and a Tikka,
....then I got to thinking and went and checked my GFs gun safe,,,,and I found she has a Savage 110 30.06...

So I am going to save my money for a good optic and use her rifle...for this trip, but going to check into some of the stuff I learned on this thread.

Finally she isn't costing me money...:D

Jr.
11-29-11, 13:51
Look into Ruger's M77. I have one with a manlicher stock, it's a carbine so it's nice and compact to carry around all day. Also it has iron sights which most bolt rifles these days dont have.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/make_mine_carbine.htm

Hizzie
11-30-11, 00:25
Saw you found a rifle. Excellent.

Be sure of the area you are hunting in Kalifornia. Make sure it is not a "Condor" area. If it is you must use lead free ammo.

BCmJUnKie
11-30-11, 13:06
Well you didnt meet mine. It was a stevens 200. Theres a thread on snipers hide about it. I did alot of work to it, never shot better than 3 moa. Absolute trash. I would stay the hell away from anything stevens, savage is probably ok.

You cant go wrong with remington tho.

Have you tried changing bullet grain?

I have a Rem 700 that HATES 168gr. 3moa, with fliers.

I go up to 180gr and its amazing the accuracy it has

C-grunt
11-30-11, 14:07
Holy shit no.

First rifle I bought, never again. Never shot better than 3-4 MOA with match ammo

You probably just got a bad rifle. I had a Stevens 200 in .223 that was pretty accurate. Right around 1 MOA with match ammo and shot under 3 MOA with steel cased Russian crap. I'd buy another if I needed a hunting rifle.

jgg
11-30-11, 14:57
Thanks for all the replies. Some good info.
I do know I could use a larger caliber rifle, but I also wanted a good deer rifle.
I asked the guy in the know about what I needed and he says he kills the pigs with a 30.06.

So I went today and held a Marlin ($320 wthout scope) and a Tikka,
....then I got to thinking and went and checked my GFs gun safe,,,,and I found she has a Savage 110 30.06...

So I am going to save my money for a good optic and use her rifle...for this trip, but going to check into some of the stuff I learned on this thread.

Finally she isn't costing me money...:D

I'd be surprised if you aren't looking for your own Savage when you get back. I have a model 16 in 308 and love it. Accustock and Accutrigger. ;)

19_A_CPT
08-14-12, 11:19
I bought a Savage 200 for my lil brother before last season in .308. It is a tack driver with Remington Corelocks. They are under $300 IIRC.

Also you may want to look into the Mossberg 100 ATRs and 4x4 at around the same price.

nineteenkilo
08-21-12, 12:42
For a lower end rifle, the Mossberg ATR's are fairly decent. I've shot them in 30.06 as well as 270 and have seen very acceptable results from a wide variety of ammo. The early models had extractor issues with them breaking after 100 rounds or so, but this has since been resolved.

The 30.06 I shot was an early that broke an extractor and they shipped me a new one overnight and free of charge. Pretty good service for a cheap rifle if I may say so.

brickboy240
08-22-12, 14:22
The Ruger American Rifle and Howa 1500 look like good low cost 30-06 choices.

-brickboy240

PA PATRIOT
08-22-12, 14:37
A Savage 110 with accu stock and trigger is the best value for dollar spent out there for a accurate bolt action rifle.

sierra 223
08-22-12, 17:40
Thats the first that I have heard of the Ruger American Rifle.

The reviews sound good. Would like to hear more, could be a real contender.

okie john
08-23-12, 13:57
You’re never wrong with a 30/06. Over the years, it’s built a reputation for just plain working on everything up to elephant, although you’re starting to stretch its limits on game over 1,000 lbs. That said, modern bullets and powders let 308 factory ammo do 95% of what the 30/06 was doing back when it earned that reputation. Both are fine on North American game short of the great bears. That’s also true of the 7-08, 270 Winchester, and 280 Remington. You just can’t go wrong with any of them.

Fortunately for you, 30/06 rifles have been produced continuously for over 100 years and 308’s for over 50. Most were built as GP hunting rifles and riflmakers have really gotten them figured out. I’ve owned/hunted/fiddled with a few dozen of both over the years, so I’ve formed a few opinions.

A 30/06 can kick hard. Heavy rifles don’t kick as hard as light rifles, but they’re a drag to carry. 8 pounds unloaded with scope and sling is the sweet spot for a 30/06, especially if you don’t shoot much and you’re not used to recoil. A 308 is comfortable to shoot as light as 6 pounds, which matters more as I get older. Definitely avoid going too light—I own a 6½-pound 30/06 that kicks like a howitzer. It was a gift from my father, or I would have sold it years ago.

Older rifles often have more drop at the heel because they’re stocked for iron sights. That accentuates recoil, so if recoil bothers you, then buy a rifle that’s stocked for a scope. Ammo also matters: the heavier the bullet, the harder the recoil. For the kind of game you’re hunting, 150- or 165-grain bullets are plenty.

Speaking of which, inexpensive cup-and-core bullets like the Remington CoreLokt or Winchester PowerPoint are plenty for deer/antelope/sheep/hogs. That’s what I hunt most of the time, so I keep my 30/06 and 308 rifles zeroed for 165-grain CoreLokts handloaded to about 2750 fps. I use Federal Trophy Bonded Bearclaw factory loads for heavier game like elk or wild cattle. The variation in trajectory is slight, but I always check my zero before a hunt.

As for rifles, there are a ton of good options out there. I’d buy a used one. It sounds like you have time, so start checking your local gun shops and pawn shops. 30/06’s and 308s come in all the time, and you can get a superb used one that’s ready to hunt for under $1,000.

I prefer a 22" barrel, which is common in both calibers. Longer barrels are tougher to carry in brush, and don't add enough velocity to be worth the hassle. Shorter barrels tend not to balance as well, and they can be very loud with some loads.

I’d look for a used Winchester Model 70 Featherweight with a claw extractor, which means either pre-64 or post-94 production. Sako (pronounced “sock-o”) made several great rifles like that—the “Forester” sticks in my mind. My local guy usually has several of each with Leupold scopes in good rings and bases and good slings for $750-900. M-700 Remingtons and newer Rugers are a bit less expensive with the same grade of accessories. Older Ruger M-77 rifles can have major problems, but the current ones are GTG. I’ve never fooled with a Ruger American.

Older Mauser-based rifles like the Husqvarna, Interarms, and others are wonderful but I’d avoid them as a first rifle unless you have access to a gun-savvy buddy. You really have to know your way around a Mauser to set them up properly and get the most out of them, plus they tend to be heavy and rust easily.

Be careful with rings and bases. A 30/06 won’t beat up them like a 338 will but you’ll have problems if they’re installed incorrectly. Sako and Ruger use their own ring designs; both are superb. Kimbers and Talleys are expensive and worth it. Redfield-style rings and bases are good but too many people try to swap scopes around with them and they’re not made for that. On a used rifle, I replace them immediately. I use Weavers. They’re cheap, light, and ultra-rugged, they return to zero, and you can mount a scope really low with them. For scopes, go Leupold. Their customer service is incredible and you’ll probably never need it.

Once you buy a rifle, have a gunsmith strip it, clean it, check the mounts, and just generally give it the once-over. Pick a 150-grain factory load that shoots into 1.5" or less at 100 yards, and zero it at 200 yards, and you should be set up for a lifetime of big-game hunting.

One more thing—get a GOOD skinning knife. You’re going to need it.

Let me know if you have questions.

Okie John

brickboy240
08-30-12, 11:46
The Ruger American Rifle runs about 400 bucks and comes with Ruger's rings.

Toss on a 100 dollar 3x9x40mm cheapie scope and you are GTG.

I have killed tons of deer and pigs with the 30-06....it kills them like lightning. My 06 is a sporterized 03 Sprignfield that I rescued from a pawn shop for 150 bucks and totally re-worked.

The 30-06 will kill just about anything in America and it is pretty accurate in my experiences.

-brickboy240