PDA

View Full Version : And back to glocks (w/gripreduction.com) I go.

KTR03
10-31-11, 16:31
So... the wheel on the bus goes around and around....

15 years ago I started looking for a defensive pistol to carry. I started with Glock 17, 19, 26. Then a 1911, then a Glock 32, 33,31. Then a 20 and 29. Then a Sig 226, Browning HiPower, 2 difference occasions of a p7m8, an XD, an M&P and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember. And now... 15 years and at at least 15,000 dollars later, I'm back to where I started - 2 3rd Gen Glock 19s. Whats weird is all the while, when folks ask me what they should get, I'd always say "a glock 19, a colt 6920, and a spyderco delica". Finally took my own advice.

I just got back from the armorer's course, and I'm struck with wondering why the hell I ever switched.

I did send the pistol off to gripreductions.com to have the grip reduced. I have small hands and so does my wife. That is what attracted me to the M&Ps, but frankly between apex parts, barsto barrels... the dollars were starting to add up. I sent a G19 to Dale and just got it back. He reduced the grip, added a palm swell on the right side, undercut the trigger guard and added a beavertail. Total time away from me was about 10 days. His communication was excellent and I am very impressed with the product. The gun fits extremely well. The rubberized finish is just abrasive enough but not crazy. http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n397/whatwasthatsound/glock19/gframe.jpg

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n397/whatwasthatsound/glock19/g19frame.jpg

Glad to be back!

Damien

misanthropist
10-31-11, 19:03
Whats weird is all the while, when folks ask me what they should get, I'd always say "a glock 19, a colt 6920, and a spyderco delica".

That is the worst advice I have ever heard!

I prefer the Endura.

Welcome back to the brutal reality that you're best off with a Corolla, a steady job with good medical and dental, and a filing cabinet full of on-time tax forms.

The real world...I hate it here but at least I figured out how to work it!

In next week's disappointingly bland episode, we'll look at how a balanced diet makes you healthier, giving up whiskey is a good idea and why you should stop screwing around with your toys and go clean the gutters before winter. Also featured: how to sell your motorcycle, and buy absolutely nothing fun with the proceeds.

Hey, at least you know it's going to work for you, and with the grip reductions and all, it's at least a little bit "custom".

Kfgk14
10-31-11, 19:41

I prefer the Endura.

Welcome back to the brutal reality that you're best off with a Corolla, a steady job with good medical and dental, and a filing cabinet full of on-time tax forms.

In next week's disappointingly bland episode, we'll look at how a balanced diet makes you healthier, giving up whiskey is a good idea and why you should stop screwing around with your toys and go clean the gutters before winter. Also featured: how to sell your motorcycle, and buy absolutely nothing fun with the proceeds.

Hey, at least you know it's going to work for you, and with the grip reductions and all, it's at least a little bit "custom".

That may just be the best (and most depressing) post I have read this week.

Clobbersauras
10-31-11, 22:00
That may just be the best (and most depressing) post I have read this week.

Misanthropist has a gift for injecting a dose of reality when you least want it (but probably need it). :D

Denali
10-31-11, 22:26
I know a lot of people that like the op, end up traveling full circle when it comes to the Glock...

ryu_sekai
11-01-11, 07:43
I know a lot of people that like the op, end up traveling full circle when it comes to the Glock...

I am one of those people.

glock-xd-sig-mp-1911-mp-glock...

turdbocharged
11-01-11, 10:15
Also featured: how to sell your motorcycle, and buy absolutely nothing fun with the proceeds.

I know first hand what that's like. Had to sell my sports car to pay some bills. I'm 26 newly married and we didn't need 3 effing cars. It still pains me to think I replaced my car with an explorer. One of these days I'll buy a new Mustang GT.

Anyhow I'm one of the guys who used to HATE Glocks, untill I actually crawled out of my hole and tried one. I haven't looked back. Now my Colt sits in the safe and I use my Glock 19. There are better choices out there I'm sure but it fits all of my needs, and it actually works.

duece71
11-01-11, 18:24

I prefer the Endura.

Over my dead body, never the scotch!! Give me Lagavulin or give me hell. :laugh:

Nephrology
11-01-11, 18:33
See, I am still at step 1 of that whole process you described - Glocks.

I get occasionally tempted by M&Ps or even CZs... but then I think...

It's not the arrow, it's the indian. and what I care about are bullseyes, not wall hangers.

and so with Glocks I shall stay.

Omega Man
11-02-11, 02:12

I prefer the Endura.

This gave me a chuckle.

Joe R.
11-02-11, 11:20
I don't care what you say...I'm not selling my motorcycles... ;-)

Tango Charlie145
11-02-11, 15:26
So... the wheel on the bus goes around and around....

15 years ago I started looking for a defensive pistol to carry. I started with Glock 17, 19, 26. Then a 1911, then a Glock 32, 33,31. Then a 20 and 29. Then a Sig 226, Browning HiPower, 2 difference occasions of a p7m8, an XD, an M&P and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember. And now... 15 years and at at least 15,000 dollars later, I'm back to where I started - 2 3rd Gen Glock 19s. Whats weird is all the while, when folks ask me what they should get, I'd always say "a glock 19, a colt 6920, and a spyderco delica". Finally took my own advice.

I just got back from the armorer's course, and I'm struck with wondering why the hell I ever switched.

I did send the pistol off to gripreductions.com to have the grip reduced. I have small hands and so does my wife. That is what attracted me to the M&Ps, but frankly between apex parts, barsto barrels... the dollars were starting to add up. I sent a G19 to Dale and just got it back. He reduced the grip, added a palm swell on the right side, undercut the trigger guard and added a beavertail. Total time away from me was about 10 days. His communication was excellent and I am very impressed with the product. The gun fits extremely well. The rubberized finish is just abrasive enough but not crazy. http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n397/whatwasthatsound/glock19/gframe.jpg

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n397/whatwasthatsound/glock19/g19frame.jpg

Glad to be back!

Damien

I really think it is neat how most of us are very like minded and come to the same conclusion.
Had a reduction done on my 19 recenly by Lane at Cold Bore Customs and it is the single best mod I have ever done to a firearm.
Good luck and shoot a bunch.
Strength and Honor!
TC

samuse
11-02-11, 21:28
Over my dead body, never the scotch!! Give me Lagavulin or give me hell. :laugh:

I wouldn't give up my guns for Scotch, but I'd damn sure die fighting for it!!!

(I would be shooting a Glock 19 and/or a LE6920:D)

FChen17213
11-02-11, 21:38
What sucks is that quite often, we all really want to like the new platforms. We try and rationalize and cut the new guns breaks. In the end, the money adds up. It's just too much time and energy just to get a freaking gun that will run all the time and accurately. Then we surrender and revert back to the 2nd or 3rd Gen Glock.

XD, M&P, 1911, Sig, HK, FN......damn it. Back to Glock

To be fair though, HK and Sig (all old school West German) have never failed me either....I just got to hate the DA/SA config. You just can't find a cheaper, more problem free, and low maintenance gun than a Gen3 Glock 9mm. It just works.

JonnyVain
11-03-11, 17:34
Interesting. I've never seen anyone else do palm swell on their Glocks besides the Hogue grip.

Here's mine.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6105/6222947687_592e793a98_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6240/6223466854_c6edbc4542_z.jpg

I staggered gorilla tape and put the A-grip over it. Since I have a gen4, all I had to do was trim the end of the grip off.

Caeser25
11-06-11, 10:38
I'm one of the guys who used to HATE Glocks, untill I actually crawled out of my hole and tried one. I haven't looked back. Now my Colt sits in the safe and I use my Glock 19. There are better choices out there I'm sure but it fits all of my needs, and it actually works.

Me too.
XD
XD + Sig 245
XD + CZ 100
XD + Sig 225
XD
Glock 17 + S&W Bodyguard 380 for when printing is an issue. I should have bought a 19 but at the time I thought I'd get a 26 or 27....

Those M&P's are sooo tempting though.....

900ss
11-06-11, 10:58
How does Gripreductions know the contour of your hand? I am considering a Gen 3 17, which will be my first Glock. I had the opportunity to handle one that had been contoured by a local gunsmith and was impressed by the feel.

Maligator
11-06-11, 11:37

Substitute cask strength Laphroaig for the Lagavulin and I'm on board with this.

To the OP, aside from the palm swell I'm really liking the Glock.

The Knuckle
11-06-11, 19:06
I'm liking the look of that palm swell. How does it feel?

KTR03
11-06-11, 19:28
Laphroaig or Talisker for me...

The palm swell is pretty cool. I feel like it really locks the gun into my hand. I was ambivelant about the palm swell to begin with, but I figured if I didn't like it I'd just have it removed when I send the other frames. I like it.

In terms of how he knows my hand, all I told him was that I was running the smallest grip panel on an M&P. It workes out great. I'm sending him another 2 19s here pretty quick.

900ss
11-06-11, 23:30
Hmm, I am really glad the Gripreductions mods worked for you, but the approach seems a little hit and miss. I'm not looking to provoke any reactions here, and am sincere that I am glad the approach worked. When I get my 17 I may send it off to them for recontouring. Will keep the board posted.

ozy
11-07-11, 06:55
I am one of those people.

glock-xd-sig-mp-1911-mp-glock...

add me to this list as well..... gen.2 glocks>khars,hks, m&p, s&W, berreta, walthers,etc.>>> gen.4 glock 19 &34.... mmmmm

number9xd
11-08-11, 19:13
In 1995 I bought my first handgun, a Glock 23. I didn't shoot it a whole lot the 13 years I had it but when I did shoot it it shot well for me. In 2008 I bought an XD9 Tactical which I found to be a good shooting gun. I've since purchased 2 browning Hi-Power 9mm, 2 Glock 19's, an XD45 Compact, an M&P 9mm, traded the XD Tactcal to a Glock 17, bought a Glock 26 and just this past Friday sold the M&P.

I really liked the way the M&P felt in the hand, put the APEX DAEK in it and really liked the trigger except for the excessive pretravel. I tried hard to like that gun but just never clicked with it. Just wasn't for me for some reason.

I love my Hi-Powers and have no plans of ever parting with them, but the gun I reach for day in and day out to ccw is either the G19 or G26. I'll most likely end up selling the XD45 Compact for a G21sf before too long.

I just like my Glocks. They're simple, anvil reliable, fit my hand, point well for me and are more accurate than I can be standing behind them. I have put multiple hits on an AAC block (bout 7" wide) standing at 86yd with Winchester bulk ammo. I was only able to get 1 or 2 hits on that block with the M&P.

ZoomByU
11-17-11, 07:21
I'd like to have gripreductions.com do some work on my xd. Luckily he is 2 mins from my house so I don't have to pay for shipping. A few officers have had him do work on their pistols and I've liked what I've seen and felt.

markm
11-17-11, 07:31
Tried the M&P for a while... came back to my old G22.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/CIMG3522.jpg

brushy bill
11-18-11, 21:22
Tried the M&P for a while... came back to my old G22.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/CIMG3522.jpg

Enjoy it while you can. I hear all the .40s KABOOM eventually :D

Joking