PDA

View Full Version : DDM4 vs BCM build

hghlndr85
10-31-11, 19:51
this is my next choice.for those with exp. with ether please chime in, im ether going for the prebuilt ddm4v4 or build a bcm rifle from parts from them. im open to hearing opinions on both and yes i have searched, and i know both are good companies. whats your pick and y

drck1000
10-31-11, 20:30
this is my next choice.for those with exp. with ether please chime in, im ether going for the prebuilt ddm4v4 or build a bcm rifle from parts from them. im open to hearing opinions on both and yes i have searched, and i know both are good companies. whats your pick and y

I recently purchased a DDM4 V5 (my first AR) after a bunch of research through online shopping, forums, and local gun shops. I went with the DDM4 because it had the features I wanted (or at least I thought I wanted at the time), it had a very good reputation, was in the price range that I was looking for, and a local shop had it in stock. I really wanted to be able to handle the AR before deciding. Colt, BCM and LMT were all high on my list. BCM and LMT could be special ordered and were a little more than the DDM4. I was looking at the Colt 6940, because I wanted the quad rail and folding BUIS, but it was quite a bit more than the DDM4.

That being said, I am currently looking at getting either a Colt 6920 or an LMT Standard Patrol to try out an AR in a different configuration than my current DDM4. I really like my DDM4, but I also want to try other configurations and other brands. Being my first AR, I didn't really know what features that I really like/want/need. Now that I've gotten into practical combat training with the AR, I'm finding that I like other features and configurations. I eventually want to take carbine classes with these AR's and really find out.

For this next AR, I am looking for something in a carbine gas system with a FSB and will run it with a fixed rear sight for a while and then probably add an Aimpoint Micro with 1/3 lower cowitness. That is in contrast to my DDM4 with an EoTech 512 and Troy BUIS in absolute cowitness.

Other points are to also try an experiment with a carbine length gas system and a muzzle brake to see if I like the performance of each and if I can tell a difference between that and my current setup. The end goal is to figure out which features I really like and then get a BCM setup in that fashion.

I think you'll get feedback that both will serve you well. For me, the DD's were a little cheaper than the BCM's, but not by very much. I wasn't willing to buy from an online dealer for my first, but now that I am, I think that the price difference could be cut more if I shop around and put it together from parts/groups.

Sorry for the long and round-about post. Please let me know if there is anything in particular about the DDM4 that you would like to know about. I actually originally wanted to go with the DDM4 V4, but my shop had only the V5 in stock, so I went with that and I don't regret it.

seb5
10-31-11, 21:35
When I build a carbine I try to use all the parts I can from the same manufacturer. I've built carbines using all the parts possible from Noveske, BCM, DD, and Palmetto, among lots of other parts guns. For a general purpose carbine I prefer BCM to all others. Noveske's are my preference for S.S. barrels. I was pretty impressed with the 2 Palmettos I built for friends. There was nothing wrong with the DD, I just prefer BCM.

BCmJUnKie
10-31-11, 22:28
Im with Seb.

I prefer BCM parts.

It gives me the option of putting whatever I want on it and not getting stuck with a $350.00 rail that I dont like.

Plus when building one you appreciate it more. You put time into it.
Not to mention it is more" Funding Friendly" going the build route.

I have bought ONE complete rifle, my first. Im not against it. Im just particular in how I want my setup

callen3615
10-31-11, 22:51
BCM FTW.

polymorpheous
10-31-11, 23:26
The BCMs I own are way more accurate than the DD I used to own.
I'll stick with BCM.

pira114
11-01-11, 01:39
BCM build. Way easier to get exactly what you want when you do this. While I'd never turn my nose up at a DD, they just didn't happen to have one set up the way I like it. The BCM build allowed me to do that.

kwelz
11-01-11, 01:50
I am partial to DD between these two. However you could pretty much flip a coin and you win either way.

13MPG
11-01-11, 03:13
I am partial to DD between these two. However you could pretty much flip a coin and you win either way.

Same.

Every upper that I have owned from both DD and BCM has been 100% reliable. While fit and finish are not a big deal to me, all of the uppers from both have been perfect.

Buy whatever upper you want which is set up the way you want.

durus5995
11-01-11, 05:34
While both are really great rifles I have really enjoyed my experiences with BCM while building my rifle. The only problem is they never seem to have what I want in stock when I want it.

m4brian
11-01-11, 13:50
DEFINITELY like Godzilla over The Creature - he's so much bigger. But then again, The Creature is scarier... and "lighter/stronger"

(Credits to IG).

MSteele
11-01-11, 15:11
I have only experience with one DD and it was a great AR. I just recently put together 2 BCM's and I love them. They are just pure fighting weapons, nothing fancy. Their mid-legnths are about as good as it gets. Either way you choose I am confident you will be happy.

TheLefty
11-01-11, 15:41
The BCMs I own are way more accurate than the DD I used to own.
I'll stick with BCM.

Just out of curiosity, could you clarify this a little more?

Which specific BCM barrels have been more accurate than which specific DDs in your experience?

I ask because my next AR will more than likely be a lightweight midlength from either DD or BCM, and your personal experience would be helpful. Thanks!

(Sorry if anyone considers this a slight hijack, I figured this info could be beneficial to the OP as well.)

drck1000
11-01-11, 15:49

Which specific BCM barrels have been more accurate than which specific DDs in your experience?

I ask because my next AR will more than likely be a lightweight midlength from either DD or BCM, and your personal experience would be helpful. Thanks!

(Sorry if anyone considers this a slight hijack, I figured this info could be beneficial to the OP as well.)

I'm interested in this as well. I feel that my DDM4 V5 (standard weight) is quite accurate and will shoot better than I am capable of. It will shoot around 2 moa from a secured bench support with XM193. That will be the "standard" that I compare any future AR, which will eventually include a BCM middy (not sure lightweight or standard weight barrel).

DEFINITELY like Godzilla over The Creature - he's so much bigger. But then again, The Creature is scarier... and "lighter/stronger"

(Credits to IG).

Haha. So which is Godzilla? BCM? Then DD is The Creature? My DD is very light compared to my friend's Colt 6920 with a DD Omega rail. Sorry, I didn't catch that post from IG.

BCmJUnKie
11-01-11, 16:12
While both are really great rifles I have really enjoyed my experiences with BCM while building my rifle. The only problem is they never seem to have what I want in stock when I want it.

Ya but after the wait is over its worth it. Hands down

Spiffums
11-01-11, 17:05
Ya but after the wait is over its worth it. Hands down

Took me almost a year to get what I wanted. When they had it in stock I didn't have the money and when I had the money they were out of stock.

I put a complete BCM upper 14.5 w/ perm BC and DD Lite rail on a Bushmaster lower I had and I couldn't be happier. I have a gun that will run great and a roll mark that I like best. Can't beat it.

GeorgiaBoy
11-01-11, 17:55
There really should be no question here. They are both nearly identical in quality, fit, and function. Both companies make many of their parts in house (I believe DD makes more though). They both are priced well.

It all boils down more to availability and options. Who has what you want is who you should go with.

Jake Bauer
11-01-11, 23:19
I'm a huge DD fan, but BCM is great stuff too. I dont know why some people are saying you should get BCM so you can use their parts to make a rifle in whatever configuration you wanted too, because you could get a DD full rifle and change up the parts to make it into whatever you want . You could even use BCM parts on a DD if you wanted.

polymorpheous
11-01-11, 23:32

BCM 16" mid length and 16" BFH light weight mid length.
DD CHF 14.5" carbine.
Also my brother's CC CHF 16" carbine upper. (DD M4vx?)

In my small experience, the BCM uppers shoot better.

polymorpheous
11-01-11, 23:39
There really should be no question here. They are both nearly identical in quality, fit, and function. Both companies make many of their parts in house (I believe DD makes more though). They both are priced well.

It all boils down more to availability and options. Who has what you want is who you should go with.

Where are you getting your information from.
BCM does not make their parts in house.

GeorgiaBoy
11-02-11, 10:35
Where are you getting your information from.
BCM does not make their parts in house.

I was under the impression that BCM gets most of their parts from BCM Mfg., who does make some parts/components.

brzusa.1911
11-02-11, 11:01
I am partial to DD, have two of their rifles. When I researched for my rifle the two candidates were BCM and DD. I decided to go the DD route for the reasons below:

1) I wanted a LPGB, DD pin their LPGB and BCM doesn't. They both pin the FSP.

2) All DD barrels are CHF, BCM you would pay a premium to get them.

3) Customer Service - I have heard nothing but good from both DD and BCM, I give the edge to DD because you call or email them and you get to talk to someone on the phone or get an email message almost immediatly answering your question.

Both are top quality, I would not hesitate getting either one. This is my experience and when I am on the market for another it will be basically between the two again (most likely a DD again :secret:)

Dirtyboy333
11-02-11, 14:28
If you are set on parting your rifle together you can build a DD just as easily as you can a BCM. Thats what I did. I sure as hell didnt save any money though. I paid about 30% more than i would have buying a comparable rifle (but at least i have exactly what I want).

BTW: BCM makes nothing in house they just assemble. I n the few examples i've seen the DD's have a better fit and finish which is not very important. Other than that, flip a coin.

DD has Gov. contracts as well.

pira114
11-02-11, 16:11
I'm a huge DD fan, but BCM is great stuff too. I dont know why some people are saying you should get BCM so you can use their parts to make a rifle in whatever configuration you wanted too, because you could get a DD full rifle and change up the parts to make it into whatever you want . You could even use BCM parts on a DD if you wanted.

What I meant was that you can buy the upper receiver groups without rails/handguards and put on whatever you like. From what I can tell, DD sell all their upper groups with rails. Not surprising since their rails are great, but if you wanted something else, or already had one, you're paying for that rail whether you use it or not.

Personally, I'd rather buy once. I'd rather buy in parts to make the rifle I really wanted, than buy a complete rifle and change parts. That's just me.

I'm also a BCM fan, so I'm admittedly biased. Don't get me wrong. A DD is in my future also. When funds allow.

Jake Bauer
11-02-11, 22:18
What I meant was that you can buy the upper receiver groups without rails/handguards and put on whatever you like. From what I can tell, DD sell all their upper groups with rails. Not surprising since their rails are great, but if you wanted something else, or already had one, you're paying for that rail whether you use it or not.

Personally, I'd rather buy once. I'd rather buy in parts to make the rifle I really wanted, than buy a complete rifle and change parts. That's just me.

I'm also a BCM fan, so I'm admittedly biased. Don't get me wrong. A DD is in my future also. When funds allow.

Gotcha.

2) All DD barrels are CHF, BCM you would pay a premium to get them.

3) Customer Service - I have heard nothing but good from both DD and BCM, I give the edge to DD because you call or email them and you get to talk to someone on the phone or get an email message almost immediatly answering your question.

Both are top quality, I would not hesitate getting either one. This is my experience and when I am on the market for another it will be basically between the two again (most likely a DD again )

Yeah I like DD just a little better for those last two reasons too. Maybe CHF barrels arent necessary, but I sure do like the reassurance. And I just got my DD upper that I sent in to let them look at a chip on the inside that I'm not sure how it got where it got to, and they replaced my whole upper receiver for nothing. Sent it out, got it replaced and back on my porch in 9 days.

Plus, I like the fact that I can call DD and talk to someone instead of hear "all our workers are busy, please send an email". Granted when I sent an email to BCM once they got back to me very quickly but still, sometimes you need to talk to someone.

TangoSauce
11-02-11, 23:19
DD has better customer service if that means anything to you.

900ss
11-03-11, 00:18
BCM here.

brzusa.1911
11-03-11, 08:43
[...] "all our workers are busy, please send an email". [...]

:lol:

Wiggity
11-03-11, 09:50
I went with DD. I love my rifle. Had a rare problem with it so I emailed DD. They got back to me the same day and paid for shipping both ways, didn't cost me a penny.

2theXtreme
11-03-11, 15:19
My first was a DDM4 v7 and I love it! But after training/competing with it I figured out what I really wanted. I had any choice and no real budget. I still went with Daniel Defense. I love their product and customer service. They deserve your business.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

ghostman1960
11-03-11, 15:51
I love my BCM uppers but the problem that I have is that they rarely have anything in stock. I don't just mean uppers but just about everything else they have advertised on their site also.

Plus I like the human touch of being able to talk to a human on the phone. Why even bother having a phone number if you are never going to answer it?

For that reason alone I wont deal with them again.

Spengo
11-03-11, 16:44
I use a DD upper. I chose it over BCM because it was available to order in the configuration I wanted and I got in on Smartgunner back when it was a super good deal before last Christmas.

So far I've had a great experience with it, I haven't done much serious accuracy testing or messing with hand loads to find the perfect loading or anything but using sandbags I can get consistently sub-moa or very near-moa (like 1.1") 10-shot groups with 75gr Hornandy TAP FPD at 100yds and around 2-3moa with 55gr AE XM193. That is good enough for me and about as much as I could ask from a chrome-lined pencil barrel. :happy: Might be able to do even better with someone who's a better shot than I.

Don't have much of a reliability test yet, only about 2000-2500 rds through it but no malfunctions so far and that includes muddy Oregon practical rifle matches.

hghlndr85
11-03-11, 19:42
thanks for the responses, im leaning towards dd. mainly bc when i have a question i wanna be able to call a companys phone number and have some one pick up, not wait for a email.

pira114
11-03-11, 20:32
thanks for the responses, im leaning towards dd. mainly bc when i have a question i wanna be able to call a companys phone number and have some one pick up, not wait for a email.

You won't be disapointed. But for what it's worth, the two times I emailed BCM, I had a response within a couple hours. Never tried to call them. I too appreciate being able to talk to humans when I have questions.

Failure2Stop
11-03-11, 22:24
They are both great companies that turn out a solid product.
I own uppers from both companies.
To me, it simply came down to who had what in stock when I needed something.
FWIW, I prefer to simply buy what I want instead of swapping parts out later and have distinct preferences that I rarely go against, so finding exactly what I want can be problematic. There are many more good AR manufacturers than a few years ago, find the one that has the features you want and enjoy.

PrarieDog
11-03-11, 22:35
I fall on the side of BCM. I have built a couple of rifles for me and a few more for friends. BCM has given me great service and have been very fast at shipping. I have nothing but praise for their product.

xbmxracerx
11-03-11, 23:18
You won't be disapointed. But for what it's worth, the two times I emailed BCM, I had a response within a couple hours. Never tried to call them. I too appreciate being able to talk to humans when I have questions.

+1....CS is second to none.....
v3 here!

St.Michael
11-04-11, 19:10
DD has the bEST CS ever! Simply put. I haven't had problems with BCM though and they ship fast as hell.