PDA

View Full Version : Optic for long range LMT MWS

lj_1187
10-31-11, 19:52
Hey all. I have decided to make my MWS a mid-long range weapon. I have had ZERO training on long range precision shooting, but I want to get into the sport and need an optic that fits my needs. I want to use it for 100-1000 yard precision shooting. I have the 18" SS barrel I will be using with it. I am looking at a Nightforce F1, probably with the NP-RF1 reticle because I think it would be easier for my mind to work in MOA, rather than mils just starting out. What do you guys think about this optic for my situation?

Also what mount would be good to give me enough clearance for BUIS? LT104?

ALCOAR
10-31-11, 20:47
I think I will eventually put a F1 on my MWS as well, however I'm completely sold on the Velocity reticles.

http://nightforceoptics.com/SCOPES_OVERVIEW/3_5-15x50_F1/F1__RETICLES/a_LV5_small.gif

Its extremely user friendly, super fast, and super accurate.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-31-11, 22:59
I used a Premier 3-15 Mil Dot on my MWS out to 500 and it worked well. If you really are going to 1000, I think that class of scope works well.

I think the gun is really better suited for a 2-10 type scope, though NF doesn't have a FFP scope in that range. I think the 1-8s would work well if you are really not going to go past 6-700 yards (depending on your targets).

I think FFP is the key, I prefer MIL/MIL scopes since I really like just doing holds rather than twirling knobs for fast target engagement.

ALCOAR
10-31-11, 23:14
I used a Premier 3-15 Mil Dot on my MWS out to 500 and it worked well. If you really are going to 1000, I think that class of scope works well.

I think the gun is really better suited for a 2-10 type scope, though NF doesn't have a FFP scope in that range. I think the 1-8s would work well if you are really not going to go past 6-700 yards (depending on your targets).

I think FFP is the key, I prefer MIL/MIL scopes since I really like just doing holds rather than twirling knobs for fast target engagement.

Good reply, I'd agree that a 2.5-10 fits a .308 barreled MWS the best. Moreover something like the March 1-10x opens up a whole new world of possibilities in terms of applications you can successfully run with this MWS.

That said, my longer term plans for my soon to be MWS will most certainly be including the recently released .260 rem option. The F1 would go fantastic with a 20" .260rem barreled MWS imho.

First .260 MWS Ive seen in the wild:cool: (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/551714_LMT_MWS_260___Required_Pics_Added.html)

eta...I forgot I also agree big time that I like doing holds vs. dialing in. Hints why I really like the velocity reticles.

bnanaphone
11-01-11, 09:33

I agree on the 2-10 range. I was running an IOR 2.5-10 FFP on my LMT for a while, then realized that I ran out of elevation adjustment at about 500 yards. It was not a deal breaker but wanted to be able to manually adjust a bit more for my rifle. The MP-8 dot is one of my favorite reticles and does make holds easy too.

I have since moved the IOR to my BCM SS410 RECCE, nice fit, and put the new SS 5-20x50 on the LMT. Still have yet to shoot it but the additional magnification makes it easier to spot hits at some distances.

The SS was really purchased for a bolt gun, that I have yet to select.... When that day comes, I will likely put a fixed 10x on my MWS and call it a day. I do not run and gun, besides, I found that I mostly shot the IOR at max magnification anyway.

markm
11-01-11, 09:55
I think I will eventually put a F1 on my MWS as well, however I'm completely sold on the Velocity reticles.

You have Pappabear all horny for this reticle.

lj_1187
11-01-11, 11:20
I have a 2.5-10x32 NF LV up for sale right now. I liked it when I had a good match with the reticle, but I would rather have something that I can just make different adjustments on for different rounds.

ALCOAR
11-01-11, 15:08
You have Pappabear all horny for this reticle.

:D...you guys could really dial this sucker in with your ability to reload. Check out the newer NF velocity reticle calculator that just went live recently, as well as Lowlight's comments on this reticle.

NF Velocity Reticle (http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2869306#Post2869306)

lj_1187
11-01-11, 18:00
Thats an issue for me because I plan to use different factory loads, I dont reload at this time. Maybe one day I will get into it...

ALCOAR
11-01-11, 18:14
Did you see the option for Factory ammo...my LV is matched perfectly for BH's MK262 mod1(old NF calculator)....the sight in distance for the 200yd hash is actually 200yds on the dot.

http://www.nightforcereticlecalculator.com/AmmunitionSelection.aspx

Note...I'm pretty sure they haven't updated all the factory ammo yet on the new NF calculator.

lj_1187
11-02-11, 00:55
Im just not digging the velocity reticles. My buddy is pretty experienced and is telling me the MLR2 reticle and going mil/mil would be my best bet. What do you gentlemen think?

BTW I really appreciate the input.

supersix4
11-02-11, 02:42
I am a mil/mil guy. I own 3 US Optics scopes. ( 2 3.2~17s and 1 1.8~10). I use the EREK with the GAP mil reticles. I have holds to 8 mils and the EREK will do single turns to 9 mils.

I use verified dope cards with each load and rifle, works well for me

Depending on your zero, you should be able to hold over for anything out to around ~800yds. With factory ammo and a 200 yd zero you should be able to get to almost 900 yds without touching a knob.

Elcid
11-02-11, 06:34
Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with the Trijicon TR-23 Accupoint? I was thinking about if for my LMT but after reading these posts I'm now leaning to the Nightforce F1.

bnanaphone
11-02-11, 09:17
Im just not digging the velocity reticles. My buddy is pretty experienced and is telling me the MLR2 reticle and going mil/mil would be my best bet.

I hear you on the velocity reticles. I think an F1 in Mil/Mil and MLR2 is about perfect. Excellent magnification range, great reticle, plenty of internal travel, I don't see a down side...

lj_1187
11-02-11, 11:59
A couple guys at work who do long range competition told me to go with a Premier Light Tactical over the F1. Was told better quality glass in a semi custom built scope. Decisions decisions. What do you guys think about the LT line of scopes compared to the F1?

marco.g
11-02-11, 17:31
Funny you mentioned the LT in your last post as i was about to recommend it.

It has roughly the same specs as the F1, but is 4oz lighter. The scope also has 18 total mils of adjustment, 12 for elev and 6 for wind in either direction.

Ive never looked through a NF but the glass on the LT is really good looking, but that is subjective as always. I like the low and wide knobs as well as the positive clicks. And a bonus is that it comes in at around the same price as the F1 with what is regarded better glass.

All in all its all pretty close at that price range and it comes down to individual preference. I went with the Gen 2 mildot in my LT because i saw some pics of the gen2 XR becoming too thin on low powers.

Here is an unbiased review of some scopes in that feature range including the Premier LT:

http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=98:high-end-tactical-scopes-part-3&catid=4:rifle-scope-reviews&Itemid=4

And here the NF F1 is compared directly against a Heritage 3-15 (reportedly same glass as the LT):

http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81:high-end-tactical-scopes-part-ii&catid=4:rifle-scope-reviews&Itemid=4

Hope this helps