PDA

View Full Version : Receiver extension alignment

munch520
10-31-11, 20:25
I know, a variation of this topic has been covered before. I've searched and saw alignment recommendations, castle nut removal, etc. I just noticed my receiver extension may be slightly off center. My question is, does very slight misalignment negatively affect function? I didn't think it'd be an issue, here to verify that.

If I'm off course and there's a thread on this, please forum-slap me and I'll tuck tail and go read what I overlooked. It's been a long week (month really) and chances are I might have. Thanks.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/myersma2/50cde4c1.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/myersma2/3d515e7b.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/myersma2/c62277d0.jpg

Skill_Kills
10-31-11, 21:34
Cant see it really being an issue other than your stock sitting on your shoulder funny. I'm pretty sure they are just eyeballed at the factory anyways

steelonsteel
10-31-11, 21:41
shouldn't effect funtion as that little of a differance, but it is also a easy fix if you're inclined.

C4IGrant
10-31-11, 21:42
First, it is called a Receiver Extension. ;)

Yes, it does look a hair off, but unless you are OCD it does not matter.

C4

Belmont31R
10-31-11, 22:04
I have run into this a few times and without a jig its near impossible to tighten down the castle nut without the RE spinning, too.

I have installed the stock, and then hit it with a rubber mallet to get it lined up. Not saying its the best solution but if you have minor OCD it would bug the shit out of me.

If you choose to do the rubber mallet thing do it after staking and Ive never had a problem with stuff loosening afterwards.

Its just loose tolerances between the groove on the RE and the end plate tab. Even greased or oiled Ive had them spin slightly and in a couple cases the RE spun enough the tab on the end plate dug into the threads on the RE.

Im not sure how they do it "professionally" but its a PITA to get the RE straight. Every RE Ive had be it Colt, BCM, & LMT has needed some correction.

nimdabew
11-01-11, 01:27
LMT RE's have a small tab taht prevents mis-aligned RE's for just this very reason. I buy nothing but LMT RE's for all my builds and I noticed a huge difference between the LMT and the no-name brand "mil-spec" RE I had before.

As for the pictures, it actually works to your benefit since you naturally turn the gun slightly sideways when shouldering the rifle so the stock will be more up and down instead of cock eyed when you are shooting. In other words, put a stock on it and go shoot.

Col_Crocs
11-01-11, 07:17
I cant see it either but some misalignment is possible due to tolerances between the nub on the end plate and the channel on the RE or to instances like Belmont described. Seeing how slight yours is that a couple of us can barely see it, I'd leave it alone.

markm
11-01-11, 07:54
Pan up in the first pic.:p

munch520
11-01-11, 10:23
First, it is called a Receiver Extension. ;)

Yes, it does look a hair off, but unless you are OCD it does not matter.

C4

:blink: DER... corrected, thank you Grant

I have installed the stock, and then hit it with a rubber mallet to get it lined up. Not saying its the best solution but if you have minor OCD it would bug the shit out of me.

Thanks! Tried a couple taps with a rubber mallet and that took it from barely noticable, to almost perfect. I'm OCD about a couple things, function being one of them. Figured I was in the clear even if it was rotated...glad you all confirmed that for me.

LMT RE's have a small tab taht prevents mis-aligned RE's for just this very reason. I buy nothing but LMT RE's for all my builds and I noticed a huge difference between the LMT and the no-name brand "mil-spec" RE I had before.

Dang, figured VLTOR would've been up on improvements like that.

HA ask and you shall receive. A somewhat recent pic: (She's been a little peeked recently, currently battling cancer :( thoughts/prayers are much appreciated)

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/myersma2/39664_1543035416364_1249326534_1480755_5052095_n-1.jpg

markm
11-01-11, 10:29
:
(She's been a little peeked recently, currently battling cancer :( thoughts/prayers are much appreciated)

Eff me! There's too much of that going around lately. This weekend, I heard my High School Sweetheart's mom was lost to cancer a few years back.

As far as the Vltor, mine did that too. I had to break it loose and reposition it because it would drive me nuts.

munch520
11-01-11, 10:35
Eff me! There's too much of that going around lately. This weekend, I heard my High School Sweetheart's mom was lost to cancer a few years back.

As far as the Vltor, mine did that too. I had to break it loose and reposition it because it would drive me nuts.

It truly is a major problem someone needs to figure out. And it's getting to be a younger problem (she's only 27).

Yeah seems you need to be careful with the VLTOR ones. Lesson learned!

lowdowndad
11-06-11, 12:31
T's & P's goin' out to munch520 & his S.O.
Hope all is well soon.
lowdowndad

Tweak
11-06-11, 14:21
T's & P's goin' out to munch520 & his S.O. Hope all is well soon.

esto

the misalignment's is easier to see with the stock on and from the front. Extend the stock, hold the lower by the mag well at arms length then sight over the pistol grip to the toe of the stock.

munch520
11-07-11, 09:30
T's & P's goin' out to munch520 & his S.O.
Hope all is well soon.
lowdowndad

thank you very much

esto

the misalignment's is easier to see with the stock on and from the front. Extend the stock, hold the lower by the mag well at arms length then sight over the pistol grip to the toe of the stock.

gracias

Check. Thank you - belmont's rec of putting the stock on after staking and giving it a good whack with a mallet straightened it out .

QuietShootr
11-07-11, 10:54

Get outta my head!! LMAO! My thought, verbatim.

munch520
11-07-11, 20:06
Haha perverts. I'd be mad if I wasn't the same way.

Done with surgeries for now and feels good enough to be up hanging out with me a little :D

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/myersma2/0d69212a.jpg

lowdowndad
11-08-11, 07:44
Slightly off topic but,.....

Nice rock on that girls bolt holders!!!

Glad all is going well.

Good luck and out.

lowdowndad

markm
11-08-11, 08:00
Stupid Wedding ring!!! :mad:

Just kidding... I'm supposed to be married too. :p (at least that's what that woman in my house keeps telling me.)

munch520
11-08-11, 09:47
Slightly off topic but,.....

Nice rock on that girls bolt holders!!!

Glad all is going well.

Good luck and out.

lowdowndad

:fie: thanks...

Stupid Wedding ring!!! :mad:

Just kidding... I'm supposed to be married too. :p (at least that's what that woman in my house keeps telling me.)

HA! stay strong brother!

900ss
11-13-11, 02:24

Thanks! Tried a couple taps with a rubber mallet and that took it from barely noticable, to almost perfect. I'm OCD about a couple things, function being one of them. Figured I was in the clear even if it was rotated...glad you all confirmed that for me.

HA ask and you shall receive. A somewhat recent pic: (She's been a little peeked recently, currently battling cancer :( thoughts/prayers are much appreciated)

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/myersma2/39664_1543035416364_1249326534_1480755_5052095_n-1.jpg

Thoughts, prayers and good mojo inbound in droves. Best wishes and good luck!

munch520
11-13-11, 08:00
Thank you!

Herknav90
11-19-11, 19:45
Prayers - definately.

The issue with the canting of the stock would not pose a serious issue. Depending on how you shoulder the weapon, it might actually fit better. I shoot skeet with dudes that cant the butt plates a bunch (pic). It may be a better fit on you.

However, the OCD in me has "tapped" the stock straight. Normally, there is enough play in the end plate (at the key and the indention into the lower) to allow it to go straight. If not, you can remove the endplate and carefully file the side of the key that is not allowing it straight just a smidge. This should allow it to go straight.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o198/jugchoke/DSCF0177.jpg

308sako
11-19-11, 22:50

My wife was given a 5% chance of seeing 2 years battling ovarian 3C, she is now in her 7th year and fighting the good fight.

God bless your Lady and it can be beat!

Herknav90
11-19-11, 23:15
Ahhhh. Guess I should learn to read. I think I got so wound up about the wife and cancer thing.

Awesome for her and you. Tell her to keep fighting the fight. I'll keep praying!

RobF

munch520
11-21-11, 08:30
thanks for the extra tips and words of encouragement guys - much appreciated!

JimT
11-21-11, 10:04
Others have already nailed it, but here's my take:

My tools of choice are Aeroshell 33ms, Hammerhead, and lower receiver vice block. With quality parts (i.e. BCM, VLTOR, LMT) there has always been some rotation.

What I have done with my friends' and my builds is to install everything hand tight and rotate the receiver extension counter clockwise till it is at the midway point from being centered and hitting the alignment tab on the end plate. Next, I install the stock and tighten while holding the stock to give me mechanical advantage. Even while I am holding the stock + receiver extension, the assembly will end up rotating clockwise a bit. This movement has almost always ended up near center, or at least close enough to satisfy my pickiness.

I will then stake the receiver end plate and castle nut, touch up with some cold blue and call it a day.

Also, I will keep you and your wife in prayer. Cancer is BS, and in my opinion, has absolutely NO biological right to exist. Two of my good friends have battled cancer within the past two years. One of them is in remission while the other just started another round of chemo. I keep them in prayer, and will keep you folks in prayer.

LightningFast
11-21-11, 22:00
Saw it another forum too, but just wanted to say my thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours.

Also, you now have me paranoid about screwing up the alignment on my RE when I install it soon. :eek:

munch520
11-22-11, 07:01
Also, you now have me paranoid about screwing up the alignment on my RE when I install it soon. :eek:

No worries, just confirm before you stake it. Thanks to advice here I found that even if it is a bit off, a couple whacks on the stock with a rubber mallet will straighten it right up.