PDA

View Full Version : Best Glock 3.5 connector

ryu_sekai
10-31-11, 21:20
Just purchased a Glock Gen 3 RTF 2, and want to make the trigger lighter. Who makes the "best" 3.5 connector?

Vlobb
10-31-11, 21:27
I prefer Glock OEM.

mkmckinley
10-31-11, 21:41
The only ones I've used are the Ghost Rocket and the standard Lone Wolf one. I didn't find any difference in the quality of those two parts. The Ghost Rocket is kind of nice because you can set it to reduce or eliminate overtravel, but I'm not sure how that might affect reliability so I took it out of my carry pistol. Ultimately I went back to a standard connector and a 25 cent trigger job and am happy.

A lot of people on here like the olive NY1 spring with the 3.5 connector but I personally found I couldn't shoot well with it. The part is really cheap and the installation is easy so that setup might be worth a try.

mattexass
10-31-11, 23:01
I use the 3.5 Ghostinc rocket. So far, a little over a year, I love it.

Pax
10-31-11, 23:22
I use the 3.5 Ghostinc rocket. So far, a little over a year, I love it.

Any reliability issues to report? What conditions have you used it under? Round count on it? Thanks.

BufordTJustice
11-01-11, 00:00
I use the LWD 3.5 connector (the new version).

I've found it to be smooth, but without the usual levels of mush of a 3.5. I use it in my gen4 G26 and am very pleased with it. I also tried:

Ghost 4.5 Ranger, Ghost 3.5 Ultimate, and OEM 3.5. Unless something better comes along, I'm sticking with the LWD 3.5.

ryu_sekai
11-01-11, 07:25
Sounds like the LWD is the way to go. On a side note anyone have any experience with their threaded bbls, accuracy wise? The oem GLOCK barrels are EXTREMELY accurate already and I don't wanna down grade.

Magsz
11-01-11, 10:15
I ran 2k through a friends 40-9 conversion barrel last month.

The barrel was an absolute tack driver.

I would have to say though, unless you want a threaded barrel OR you're shooting alot of lead reloads, stick with the factory barrel.

Generally speaking the factory barrel is more accurate than you or i.

In regard to the original question. Most - connectors feel very similar, some are "better" than others depending on what you like.

Personally, i prefer the factory - connector or the scherer connector as i prefer a rolling break.

I found the LWD connector to be a little too crisp for me with a weird, weak reset.

The worst of the bunch was the Ghost series of products. Talk about a mush factory with a weak reset.

11-01-11, 10:33
Put in a Ghost 3.5# connector in a G17. First shots afterwards were in a LAV class. Like it. Magsz- Wonder if you received a less than optimum one?

Magsz
11-01-11, 10:38

I have two and both felt the same way.

In fact, one of the 3.5's and my 5.0 tactical stopped functioning after 300 and 750 rounds.

They would fail to reset. I believe this is attributed to an improper bend in the connector. Bad QC. :/

scottryan
11-01-11, 10:59
The factory set up.

Magsz
11-01-11, 11:08
The factory set up.

What would that be?

The 5.5 pound connector or perhaps the factory negative that comes in some G34's?

Or, how about the factory setup with the dot connector that is coming in all new Gen 4 pistols.

There are a lot of variations out there.

mattexass
11-01-11, 11:14
Any reliability issues to report? What conditions have you used it under? Round count on it? Thanks.

No issues what so ever. 2500ish down the pipe. One class (included in round count). 17 Gen 3 police trade in.

ryu_sekai
11-01-11, 14:03
That's good to hear, I ordered a black LWD threaded barrel and was hoping it would as accurate as my 34 OEM barrel.

I ran 2k through a friends 40-9 conversion barrel last month.

The barrel was an absolute tack driver.

I would have to say though, unless you want a threaded barrel OR you're shooting alot of lead reloads, stick with the factory barrel.

Generally speaking the factory barrel is more accurate than you or i.

In regard to the original question. Most - connectors feel very similar, some are "better" than others depending on what you like.

Personally, i prefer the factory - connector or the scherer connector as i prefer a rolling break.

I found the LWD connector to be a little too crisp for me with a weird, weak reset.

The worst of the bunch was the Ghost series of products. Talk about a mush factory with a weak reset.

JonInWA
11-01-11, 14:09
I only use Glock OEM connectors, including the "minus" 3.5/4.5 ones. A judicious application of TW25B on the connector and triggerbar interfacing surfaces will help the triggerpull characteristics. This is best accomplished during a detailed disassembly of the receiver group, with the triggerbar separated from the trigger housing mechanism, when the connector and triggerbar surfaces will be fully exposed.

Pretty much the only alternative that I would consider would be one of Charlie Vanek's polished OEM Glock connectors.

I'm not saying that there aren't quality aftermarket/cottage industry Glock components, but I will say that one of the easiest way to crap up/compromise the operating efficacy of a Glock is to replace OEM components with aftermarket ones-especially if you don't know what you're doing (even as ridiculously simple Glocks are to work on, some quality training is still recommended...); replacing OEM with aftermarket components can also have an adverse multiplier effect on other components.

If your goal is simply to lighten the triggerpull, the OEM standard (5.5 lb) connector/coil spring setup will lighten up with 500-1000 rounds down the pipe, as the components burnish in (dryfire practice will probably help speed this along also). If you can get one, one of the "dot"/#5 connectors will also provide a triggerpull somewhere in the vicinity of 4.5 - 5 lbs with the coil trigger spring; that might be an ideal compromise triggerpull weight if the gun is to be carried. The pull weight with the connector chosen can also be somewhat modified depending upon which triggerbar you use; a Gen 3 triggerbar will provide a slightly lighter triggerpull weight that the current standard Gen 3.5 triggerbar (with the channeled dogleg extension at the coil spring attachement point).

Best, Jon

SW-Shooter
11-01-11, 20:44
I use only the Glock OEM - 3.5 connector with the olive NY #1 spring. For me this is the optimal conceal carry trigger, the follow up shot are faster for me and the reset is perfect with a moderate amount range time and training.

The Glock OEM - connector is about $19.00 and the NY #1 is about $3.00. I make sure to polish the contact area's and real light lubrication on the surface.

ozy
11-02-11, 12:42
tried the ghost 3.5 on my gen 4 19 and 34- mush and really didn't wor with my pistols.
i liked the glock oem (-)4.5# that is on my 34 factory. ordered another from glockparts for my 19.

SW-Shooter
11-03-11, 21:24
I use only the Glock OEM - 3.5 connector with the olive NY #1 spring. For me this is the optimal conceal carry trigger, the follow up shot are faster for me and the reset is perfect with a moderate amount range time and training.

The Glock OEM - connector is about $19.00 and the NY #1 is about $3.00. I make sure to polish the contact area's and real light lubrication on the surface.

I had fallen behind on adding parts to my newest Glocks, I had problems finding factory 3.5 connectors & NY1 springs at the same place. I finally found Glockparts.com, they were able to provide me with everything I needed without having to resort to Ebay. I have no affiliation with them other than being a customer. I'm glad they had all of the parts, there's nothing worse than having to pay shipping costs from several different vendors.

Now all of my tupperware guns are fitted with the same triggers.

Irish
11-03-11, 23:15
I had fallen behind on adding parts to my newest Glocks, I had problems finding factory 3.5 connectors & NY1 springs at the same place. I finally found Glockparts.com, they were able to provide me with everything I needed without having to resort to Ebay. I have no affiliation with them other than being a customer. I'm glad they had all of the parts, there's nothing worse than having to pay shipping costs from several different vendors.

Thanks for the site. Just placed an order for the combo and a whole new set of springs for my G19 for when they need to be swapped out.

Sensei
11-04-11, 02:43

That is a great site. They are the only place listing OEM -/3.5 and Gen4 Dot connectors. Unfortunately, the Dot is out of stock for now.

Heartbreaker
11-04-11, 15:35
I have 5-6k rounds through my G20 with the Ghost Inc 3.5lb connector. Runs fine, I noticed more of a difference in trigger feel after doing the 25 cent trigger job than after changing connectors though. I also have a KKM extended barrel, it's significantly more accurate than my factory barrel, easily shoots 4" 10 shot groups at 25 yards and I'm not a great shooter either, could probably do better.

Irish
11-04-11, 16:14
That is a great site. They are the only place listing OEM -/3.5 and Gen4 Dot connectors. Unfortunately, the Dot is out of stock for now.

Placed an order late last night and already received my shipping notice. I really like fast, efficient service with good communication.

Blayglock
11-04-11, 16:20
The only ones I've used are the Ghost Rocket and the standard Lone Wolf one. I didn't find any difference in the quality of those two parts. The Ghost Rocket is kind of nice because you can set it to reduce or eliminate overtravel, but I'm not sure how that might affect reliability so I took it out of my carry pistol. Ultimately I went back to a standard connector and a 25 cent trigger job and am happy.

exact same story and same parts on my end. Ive also used a Vanek kit before and it is awesome but light for a carry gun IMO.

JonnyVain
11-04-11, 18:31

I have two and both felt the same way.

In fact, one of the 3.5's and my 5.0 tactical stopped functioning after 300 and 750 rounds.

They would fail to reset. I believe this is attributed to an improper bend in the connector. Bad QC. :/

Didn't read the whole thread so I'm not sure if this was addressed yet.

The Ghost 3.5 has to be fitted to your pistol. There are instructions on the website on how to bend it correctly. Too little and the slide has a hard time unlocking and the trigger is heavy, too much and it won't reset. You could bend your Glock 3.5 and make it fail also.

ST911
11-04-11, 20:29
Late to the party, but my .02...

If the gun must be reliable and/or is used for important purposes, go OEM. If not, then anything else may do.

Magsz
11-04-11, 20:39
Didn't read the whole thread so I'm not sure if this was addressed yet.

The Ghost 3.5 has to be fitted to your pistol. There are instructions on the website on how to bend it correctly. Too little and the slide has a hard time unlocking and the trigger is heavy, too little and it won't reset. You could bend your Glock 3.5 and make it fail also.

Already worked through that.

After the initial failures, post bend, the guns became irregular in function.

None of the oem connectors, LWD or Scherer exhibited these issues.

JonnyVain
11-04-11, 21:08
Already worked through that.

After the initial failures, post bend, the guns became irregular in function.

None of the oem connectors, LWD or Scherer exhibited these issues.

My Scherer failed me. Not sure how it got bent, but it got bent and would not reset. I was unaware of why at the time, so I returned it.

To be honest, I haven't been able to shoot my Ghost yet, only dry fired it. It's a bit mushier than the OEM 5.5lb but I figured that was to be expected. I thought it was crisper than the Scherer.

handyandy
11-04-11, 22:13
That's Glock OEM - 3.5# and the NY-1 in all my Glocks, it's perfect for me, and cheap.

I use only the Glock OEM - 3.5 lbs connector with the olive NY #1 spring. For me this is the optimal conceal carry trigger, the follow up shot are faster for me and the reset is perfect with a moderate amount range time and training.

SW-Shooter
11-05-11, 02:58
I wish vendors would make a SHTF parts kit for items that wear out or break and would render the firearm useless. That would be a good kit to have.

Robb Jensen
11-05-11, 09:33
I like and use the standard 3.5lb Ghost connector (not the Rocket). I've seen exactly 2 bad Ghost connectors in over 350 that I've installed. The new "."/ATF connector from Glock is pretty nice too.

Nephrology
11-05-11, 09:51
I like and use the standard 3.5lb Ghost connector (not the Rocket). I've seen exactly 2 bad Ghost connectors in over 350 that I've installed. The new "."/ATF connector from Glock is pretty nice too.

Is the dot connector functional in Gen3 pistols? How does it alter trigger characteristics in the non-Gen4s?

Magsz
11-05-11, 10:29
Is the dot connector functional in Gen3 pistols? How does it alter trigger characteristics in the non-Gen4s?

Consider it a lighter weight stock connector.

Feel of the break is similar to the factory 5.5 lb connector.

Irish
11-05-11, 11:16
I wish vendors would make a SHTF parts kit for items that wear out or break and would render the firearm useless. That would be a good kit to have.

I'm not sure if this is what you're thinking of but I ordered this along with the others, all springs replacements kit for G19. http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=126610&CAT=741

My G19 is currently getting stippled and when the NY-1 and the OEM 3.5 get here they'll be getting installed as well. I've never swapped out internals, other than Vickers stuff, so I'm curious as to what happens if you only replace the trigger spring or the connector. Does anyone know of a "chart" that gives an indication as to what happens when parts are swapped individually versus as a pair?

Nephrology
11-05-11, 11:40
My G19 is currently getting stippled and when the NY-1 and the OEM 3.5 get here they'll be getting installed as well. I've never swapped out internals, other than Vickers stuff, so I'm curious as to what happens if you only replace the trigger spring or the connector. Does anyone know of a "chart" that gives an indication as to what happens when parts are swapped individually versus as a pair?

There is one indeed in my glock armorer's manual. I don't have a way of getting a photo but here is the text -

"-" connector/factory trigger spring ~ 4.5lb
"-" connector/NY1 trigger spring ~7.5lbs

Stock connector/factory trigger spring ~5.5lbs
Stock connector/NY1 trigger spring ~9lbs
Stock connector/NY2 trigger spring ~11lbs

Obviously the above only applies to OEM parts but my LWD "-" connector doesnt seem to be really much different from my OEM connector really. Maybe slightly more of a rolling break on hte LWB but it's really slight.

Irish
11-05-11, 12:01
Thank you!

SW-Shooter
11-05-11, 16:57
I'm not sure if this is what you're thinking of but I ordered this along with the others, all springs replacements kit for G19. http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD =126610&CAT=741

I'll show you this gem of an idea for removing that pesky trigger pin. http://stfuretard.blogspot.com/2009/11/detail-stripping-glock-pistol-removing.html . I hope it helps, never beat the pins out of a Glock, you'll likely widen the holes.

You will get a more consistent pull, with a shorter reset. It does not lighten the trigger as much as makes it feel just right, but it's really not lighter. I know that doesn't make much sense, but you'll understand once it's installed.

Nephrology
11-05-11, 18:29
I've show you this gem of an idea for removing that pesky trigger pin. http://stfuretard.blogspot.com/2009/11/detail-stripping-glock-pistol-removing.html . I hope it helps, never beat the pins out of a Glock, you'll likely widen the holes.

You will get a more consistent pull, with a shorter reset. It does not lighten the trigger as much as makes it feel just right, but it's really not lighter. I know that doesn't make much sense, but you'll understand once it's installed.

It is definitely lighter but not really by a significant amount. I know TLG was measuring his at 5lbs, 4oz in a Gen 4 G17. I don't have a trigger gauge but I'd guess my gen 3 with the same setup isn't far off, maybe a tad lighter but still around 4 3/4-5lbs. Still very much a combat trigger.