PDA

View Full Version : Modifying a VCAS?

gs013564
10-31-11, 23:47
Hey all,

I really like the VCAS. However, I was thinking of adding hook clips to the ends instead of QD swivels so that I could just turn it from a two point to a one point i.e. hook both ends onto a Magpul ASAP.

Can anyone tell me if they've done this before? I saw something in the below thread, but I have no idea what to search for (what are they called) in regards to the hooks.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=523428&postcount=18

Thanks!

Pax
11-01-11, 00:37
Before you go wasting a little bit of money on different attachment methods, (btw, ITW MASH hooks are more secure, simple and durable than any HK Hook could ever hope to be. Small MASH hooks get the job done fine), consider IWC's Triglide with a QD Swivel cup. Im not familiar with the VCAS since I avoid 2 points like the goddamned plague, but even if its ends are stitched to itself, you can cut it, burn the end, thread on the triglide and then use either that triglide or another such as ITW's 1" SS triglide available through DIY Tactical for VERY cheap to reattach the end to itself after threading on the attachment type of your choice, (youre currently running QD Swivels so, for convenience's sake you can stick with that). That will allow you to run your VCAS with its current attachment type in either a 1 or 2 point configuration. On a slightly related subject, this is baller and I do not understand why anyone would ever intentionally opt for solely a singlepoint or a 2 point. Good luck and in the future just make your own sling. It is far cheaper and can be made just as if not more functional than the majority of the current market offerings.

BC520
11-01-11, 09:36
OP, I have a VCAS and an HK hook on the front of mine.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? What purpose are you trying to switch to a 1pt for? Reason I'm asking is to identify what exact need you have where the VCAS isn't working. Is it just because you WANT to? What problem are you having? Can the issue be fixed by otherr adjustments or positioning of the VCAS sling without the modification?

I looked at the issue of going from a 2pt to 1pt conversion with the VCAS as well. Fact is, for me, I actually haven't found anything that the VCAS couldn't do yet in it's current 2pt configuration.

eternal24k
11-01-11, 09:46
I did this with my VCAS since I like the concept not design of the MS2 sling. The sling is a little bulky when hooked to the stock, but works fine elsewhere. Ultimately, I wish i didnt have all my rifles with the ASAP plate, I would start over with Noveske end plates, a VCAS sling with an IWC Triglide and be done.

trinydex
11-01-11, 18:15
BIm not familiar with the VCAS since I avoid 2 points like the goddamned plague

how come?

gs013564
11-01-11, 19:26
OP, I have a VCAS and an HK hook on the front of mine.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? What purpose are you trying to switch to a 1pt for? Reason I'm asking is to identify what exact need you have where the VCAS isn't working. Is it just because you WANT to? What problem are you having? Can the issue be fixed by otherr adjustments or positioning of the VCAS sling without the modification?

I looked at the issue of going from a 2pt to 1pt conversion with the VCAS as well. Fact is, for me, I actually haven't found anything that the VCAS couldn't do yet in it's current 2pt configuration.

Well, mainly it's because I just want to. :p I was thinking this through on paper with a future rifle I'd like to get setup. My current one has QD swivels on the forend and on the buttstock (no receiver endplate attachments, so it's not an option currently). I know that when I use the VCAS and let slack out and switch to weak side that the sling tends to wrap around my neck a bit, which I don't like. If I had an attachment point on the endplate, then it probably wouldn't be an issue.

For the future rifle, the only advantage I see is if you know ahead of time what your mission is going to be. So if you are going to be in your car riding shotgun you could configure it to a one point using the hooks attached to something like the ASAP and elminate the need to work the sling on the transition. If you're on foot you could then set it up to be more of a two point and adjust the sling as needed during a fight if you needed to switch to support side.

Does that make sense or am I missing something?

Pax
11-01-11, 22:10
how come?

I've been thinking of compiling info on slings and perhaps suggesting a sling sticky thread someday. If I did, I may address this question with the intention of debating it there. For now, I have absolutely no want or need to derail this thread with singlepoint vs. two point vs. 1-to-2 point/hybrid banter. So please. Dont rage at me in this thread, save that for another day. Heres my viewpoint because you asked for it. My apologies for the length.

Singlepoints are for retaining the weapon while manipulating it. They do not extend down the weapon past its receiver endplate, and thus they inherently interfere with vital weapon controls far less than any two point. This makes them ideal for a secure insurance policy if you should need to transition and retain the long gun but certainly subideal for tasks that require high levels of retention and control of the weapon. Even when retaining the weapon they represent the idea that a retained weapon is useless if its retention system does not allow you to effectively employ the weapon itself. I recall an old Viking Tactics video I screencapped where one of their shooters, possibly Lamb himself, fumbled with the grip of his AR because his two point was between his glove and his gun. Two points represent a different school of thought. To my mind they are useful for extreme levels of retention when the weapon will not be needed (slung over the back). If you've ever rappelled with a singlepoint, you'll know that it works but... Like running with them, it aint exactly graceful. So each have their respective purposes to me. And given the advent of 1-to-2 points/hybrid slings and the ability to make your own, I see absolutely NO reason whatsoever why anyone would ever go near a dedicated singlepoint or a dedicated two point sling for a defensive long gun. If I had to chose between a dedicated singlepoint or a dedicated two point, though... Im going to choose the one that interferes less with my manipulation of the weapon. That gun is no good, no matter how well its strapped down to me, if I cant use it.

gs013564
11-02-11, 04:36
I've been thinking of compiling info on slings and perhaps suggesting a sling sticky thread someday. If I did, I may address this question with the intention of debating it there. For now, I have absolutely no want or need to derail this thread with singlepoint vs. two point vs. 1-to-2 point/hybrid banter. So please. Dont rage at me in this thread, save that for another day. Heres my viewpoint because you asked for it. My apologies for the length.

Singlepoints are for retaining the weapon while manipulating it. They do not extend down the weapon past its receiver endplate, and thus they inherently interfere with vital weapon controls far less than any two point. This makes them ideal for a secure insurance policy if you should need to transition and retain the long gun but certainly subideal for tasks that require high levels of retention and control of the weapon. Even when retaining the weapon they represent the idea that a retained weapon is useless if its retention system does not allow you to effectively employ the weapon itself. I recall an old Viking Tactics video I screencapped where one of their shooters, possibly Lamb himself, fumbled with the grip of his AR because his two point was between his glove and his gun. Two points represent a different school of thought. To my mind they are useful for extreme levels of retention when the weapon will not be needed (slung over the back). If you've ever rappelled with a singlepoint, you'll know that it works but... Like running with them, it aint exactly graceful. So each have their respective purposes to me. And given the advent of 1-to-2 points/hybrid slings and the ability to make your own, I see absolutely NO reason whatsoever why anyone would ever go near a dedicated singlepoint or a dedicated two point sling for a defensive long gun. If I had to chose between a dedicated singlepoint or a dedicated two point, though... Im going to choose the one that interferes less with my manipulation of the weapon. That gun is no good, no matter how well its strapped down to me, if I cant use it.

I get this totally. That's why I was trying to use my noodle around this. If you know ahead of time what you might be up against, then you can set your sling accordingly. Yet, I've never been in a situation (Thank Goodness) so I'm trying to figure it out.

Surf
11-02-11, 13:58
People have been modifying the VCAS since its inception. I know, because myself and several others have been making convertible 1 point to 2 point slings long before the VCAS and even Magpul hit the market. However once the VCAS was released all of my convertible slings are based off the VCAS. RobS has a large thread somewhere about this evolution.

Basically I use an HK hook at the front that attaches to a QD swivel. The rear is a mash hook that attaches to a QD swivel that can either attach at the end plate or the stock. The single point attachment is above a fastex type buckle which is between the single point D ring attachment and the mash hook. This allows me the quickest release from my weapon while wearing gloves.

Even though I have a 2pt to 1pt convertible sling I will run the sling in the 2 point mode 90% of the time, if not more. The single point use, IMO has very limited applications where it shines. However in those instances where it shines, it really shines, therefore I like the ability to adjust. However where the single point sucks, man it really sucks. And IMO that is roughly 90% of the time in practical applications.

Two point
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/DSC_00221.jpg

Single point
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/DSC_00291.jpg

sspro2340
11-02-11, 20:20
People have been modifying the VCAS since its inception. I know, because myself and several others have been making convertible 1 point to 2 point slings long before the VCAS and even Magpul hit the market. However once the VCAS was released all of my convertible slings are based off the VCAS. RobS has a large thread somewhere about this evolution.

Surf I know you have plenty of exp with these slings padded and unpadded.

Do you think that one is better than the other in terms of being 2 to 1 capable?

gs013564
11-06-11, 14:07

Basically I use an HK hook at the front that attaches to a QD swivel. The rear is a mash hook that attaches to a QD swivel that can either attach at the end plate or the stock. The single point attachment is above a fastex type buckle which is between the single point D ring attachment and the mash hook. This allows me the quickest release from my weapon while wearing gloves.

Even though I have a 2pt to 1pt convertible sling I will run the sling in the 2 point mode 90% of the time, if not more. The single point use, IMO has very limited applications where it shines. However in those instances where it shines, it really shines, therefore I like the ability to adjust. However where the single point sucks, man it really sucks. And IMO that is roughly 90% of the time in practical applications.

Two point
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/DSC_00221.jpg

Single point
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/DSC_00291.jpg

Dumb question, but what/where did you get the D ring? Is it one of those types that has a threaded spinner in the middle?

Surf
11-06-11, 14:41
Surf I know you have plenty of exp with these slings padded and unpadded.

Do you think that one is better than the other in terms of being 2 to 1 capable?In my old gear set up that did not have a horse collar I did not like padded or seat belt type slings as they would tended to turn on edge due to the gear and rub into the neck. My new full gear set up has a horse collar so that isn't an issue anymore. Also in gear the padded sling tended to get more twisted up when trying to sling the weapon over the gear. Small nuances, but annoyances none the less especially if you continually drop an arm out of the sling for various reasons.

When not wearing gear or armor, a padded or larger surface area sling is much more comfortable over longer periods of time as their is more surface are to distribute weight. So I would say that if you don't run gear or armor between you and the sling, the padded sling is definitely the way to go. In body armor or gear you might prefer the non padded.

Dumb question, but what/where did you get the D ring? Is it one of those types that has a threaded spinner in the middle?The D ring was a take-off from another piece of gear. I am constantly rigging my own stuff or tinkering and I have boxes and boxes of old, or unused gear and slings etc, so I tend to scavenge items off of other pieces of gear. You can find them at various hardware stores, or search online for something like "metal D ring" or "rifle sling hardware", or something along those lines.

gs013564
11-06-11, 16:01
Awesome, good to know. I'll take a look around. Thought maybe it was something specific I could just go look up. Thanks!

mvician
11-06-11, 16:16
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/P1150281.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/P1150278.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/P1150279.jpg

Quick and easy.......HK hook on the front end, captured a brass ring with the slides on the rear end. Running a QD at the rear.

Pax
11-07-11, 00:04
Dumb question, but what/where did you get the D ring? Is it one of those types that has a threaded spinner in the middle?

http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=34&level=1

TehLlama
11-07-11, 03:34
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/P1150281.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/P1150278.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/P1150279.jpg
Quick and easy.......HK hook on the front end, captured a brass ring with the slides on the rear end. Running a QD at the rear.

I would concur that this setup is THE way to run the convertible VCAS, with only the caveat that an RSA as the front mount will work better for some than a QD swivel or simpler hook mount (like the LUSA).

I'm trying to figure out how compatible the Ares version would work with this, but in all likelihood I'll just get another VCAS.