PDA

View Full Version : No-button hats that aren't billboards?

BAC
11-02-11, 12:13
My old ball cap is pretty well dead and I'm looking for a replacement without a top button and billboard advertising. The LaRue Tactical cap meets the first half of that and people seem to love them, but it still has that big logo across the front.

Does anyone know of a cap like the LaRue one sans logos?

-B

Animal_Mother556
11-02-11, 12:28
I really like the hats that Magpul sells on their site. No "button" on the top and no logo...but there ARE velcro panels on the front, top and back.

Might not be what you are looking for.

BAC
11-02-11, 12:56
At first I was solidly no-velcro, but thinking more on it I don't mind as long as it can be removed without destroying the hat.

I'm looking around at a few different hats: HSGI cap and 215gear blended and ELW caps are the top contenders, but I'll probably pick up a beater EOTAC hat in the meanwhile since they're cheap ($5-6). If it matters for suggestions, I think my head's a shade over 22" / Size 7 to 7 and an eighth / medium sized.

JSantoro
11-02-11, 14:10
I'm not a fan of advertising, either, beyond a certain point.

Blank, anyman ball cap of choice + pliers to rip off the button on top, which is just a poorly-applied rivet with a cheap plastic or metal cap. Easy.

Or, hat that fits the way you prefer, regardless of what's on it + a seam-ripper for embroidery removal. You can find a ripper in the sewing section of a department store or a hobby/crafts store.

I've gotten a lot of mileage out of that seam-ripper; WAY less likely to tear up something the way just sawing at it with one's kinfe sometimes does, though some care with an X-acto #11 blade can do as well.

jmoore
11-02-11, 14:24
the button simply pulls off. So - don't let that be a deal breaker.

john

BAC
11-02-11, 14:39
Just tried out removing the button on an old hat and it worked nicely. Picking up one of those seam rippers will make finding a new hat a lot easier.

Thanks gents.

Doc Safari
11-02-11, 14:42
Do a search on 'tactical cap' on ebay. You'll get a bunch of hits for ball caps with the velcro strips but no button and you can add your own patch or not.

PatEgan
11-02-11, 16:59
My SKD cap has served very well, and keeps on going with little visible wear.

Pat

duece71
11-02-11, 18:20
BCM shipped a velcro topped cap with an upper that I bought earlier this year. I find I am wearing it more and more. I haven't had to explain what the latin means that is embroidered on the back of the cap. Great cap.

Spiffums
11-02-11, 20:07
You might try a "Custom" cap booth at a local flea market. There is one who does embroidery on caps and he has just every style and color that Richardson makes. Granted those are made in china caps but I'm sure you could find a style you liked and try to find a made in the USA version on line.

Good luck.

TunaFisherman
11-02-11, 20:32
I order hats from the local shirt print shop. Usually around $12 without logo. Flex fit brand
http://www.capwholesalers.com/home/cw1/smartlist_220

obucina
11-02-11, 21:13
HSGI sells a sanitized brain cover.

northern1
11-03-11, 06:26
HSGI is nice and the velcro doesn't mean what it used to. Kind of went main stream.

Doc Safari
11-03-11, 08:52
I haven't had to explain what the latin means that is embroidered on the back of the cap. Great cap.

If it says "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" that roughly translates "If you want peace, prepare for war". Ironic that they use Latin to quote Sun Tsu, who was Chinese. :jester:

PatEgan
11-03-11, 10:45
No, that was from Flavius Vegetius Renatus, a fourth century A.D. Roman author.

Pat

jgcl05@yahoo.com
11-04-11, 20:30
SKD has the HSGI version a little more sterilized, with just the velcro square at the top. Their hat design is quite comfortable!

SKD Hat (http://www.skdtac.com/SKD-Tactical-Ball-Cap-Embroidery-Ready-p/skd.205.htm)

Trajan
11-04-11, 21:36
If it says "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" that roughly translates "If you want peace, prepare for war". Ironic that they use Latin to quote Sun Tsu, who was Chinese. :jester:

Actually, that term came from Vegetius. And now I see that Pat has beaten me to it.

The SKD hats are nice, and the bungee adjuster allows you to keep it tight without being too tight.

readyme
11-08-11, 20:06
SKD has the HSGI version a little more sterilized, with just the velcro square at the top. Their hat design is quite comfortable!

SKD Hat (http://www.skdtac.com/SKD-Tactical-Ball-Cap-Embroidery-Ready-p/skd.205.htm)

And last I checked, the SKD hat was $17 with free shipping. I always wondered if the SKD and HSGI hats were the same. I think I might have to get one of my very own...though I do really like the HSGI "trucker" hats they had for a while. Might wait for one.

Wicked
11-09-11, 02:16
I always wondered if the SKD and HSGI hats were the same.

I have a few of both, and they are the same as far as I can tell. They're all I wear anymore. I have a real small noggin' and these actually fit. Now I don't look like a kid wearing my pop's hat.

I am fairly sure that the SKD hats are manufactured by HSGI.

Frens
11-09-11, 03:33
TAG Gear cap...then remove the front & rear velcro if you dont like it

Torsion
11-13-11, 09:07
Over the last couple years I've purchased a few similar styled hats. Most just don't fit me very well. However I did find that Tactical Tailor makes an almost perfect fitting cap in their operator cap. $15 plus shipping.
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/apparel/tt/tactical-tailor-operator-cap

Armati
11-13-11, 09:45
Google around for "custom hats and shirts". Before your favorite maker put their logo on that hat, it started as a mass produced Plain Jane hat. There are many styles available at very low prices. Sometimes craft stores will also sell these so you can put your own designs on them.

HardToHandle
11-13-11, 10:18
I've tried a number of ballcaps without buttons. I like subtle, no logo, less to remember... and why pay to advertise for someone else's business?

I used a TAG operator cap for awhile, but needed something that worked when turned around backwards. The TAG cap has an open gap in back and large webbing adjustable buckle that got drove into my head a few times.

Looked at the flexifit UA hats - which were pricey and even the tone-on-tone logo versions were fugly. Also wanted something as cotton as possible, with limited synthetics. I found the EOTAC hats were a quarter the price and delivered what I was looking for....

EOTAC Range Cap Stretch Fit - https://www.google.com/search?q=EOTAC+Range+Cap+Stretch+Fit&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=

Bad news is the EOTAC caps are presumably no longer being manufactured. I bought a few extras and have given them as presents.

Moose-Knuckle
11-13-11, 17:48
I'll second SKD, no logo (just a tag on the inside of the brim) and no button on top.

readyme
11-14-11, 13:03
Botach Tactical is selling your favorite Eotac hat for $5.

I've tried a number of ballcaps without buttons. I like subtle, no logo, less to remember... and why pay to advertise for someone else's business?

I used a TAG operator cap for awhile, but needed something that worked when turned around backwards. The TAG cap has an open gap in back and large webbing adjustable buckle that got drove into my head a few times.

Looked at the flexifit UA hats - which were pricey and even the tone-on-tone logo versions were fugly. Also wanted something as cotton as possible, with limited synthetics. I found the EOTAC hats were a quarter the price and delivered what I was looking for....

EOTAC Range Cap Stretch Fit - https://www.google.com/search?q=EOTAC+Range+Cap+Stretch+Fit&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=

Bad news is the EOTAC caps are presumably no longer being manufactured. I bought a few extras and have given them as presents.

Magic_Salad0892
11-15-11, 19:15
SKD makes a good hat.

BTW: **** the button, earmuffs will ****in' dig that shit into your brain case.

jgcl05@yahoo.com
11-18-11, 18:39
I have a few of both, and they are the same as far as I can tell. They're all I wear anymore. I have a real small noggin' and these actually fit. Now I don't look like a kid wearing my pop's hat.

I am fairly sure that the SKD hats are manufactured by HSGI.

You are absolutely correct. I ventured in their shop with my SKD hat on one day and Topher asked me what kind of hat I had on, and I told him it was from SKD. He let me know that it's the same hat, just without the HSGI emblem on the side. They let them use the hat since somebody over at SKD liked it so much. It's been a great piece of gear, never go shooting without it!