PDA

View Full Version : Whtat the position of your stock when shooting?

das028
11-22-07, 20:48
I was wondering is it absolutely critcal your nose be at the charging handle when firing your AR? I could understand maybe in CQB when speed is a critical factor, or when the gear you wear forces you.

Where do you position your stock when doing most of your firing?

Thanks fellas.

das028
11-22-07, 22:46
BTW, I know its probably a stupid question. I will be taking some type of training class soon, but the reason I asked, is I dont want to develop bad habbit before hand.

Jack_Stroker
11-22-07, 23:48
In my opinion it's best to keep the stock as far in as you can possibly have it and still be comfortable with the weapon. I'd experiment and go with what's comfortable. I've got to have mine almost all the way out to be comfortable, but then again I'm not exactly a small guy.

toddackerman
11-22-07, 23:52
I was wondering is it absolutely critcal your nose be at the charging handle when firing your AR? I could understand maybe in CQB when speed is a critical factor, or when the gear you wear forces you.

Where do you position your stock when doing most of your firing?

Thanks fellas.

IMO...I use the "Nose to the Charging Handle" for using my iron sights as it tends to give me a little more stable cheek weld when I acquire the Iron Sights. For my Aimpoint, I usually am a little further back because the cheek position isn't critical with an RDS. If the Dot's on the target, you'll hit.

Conversely, the front post must be fairly well centered in the rear aperture of an Iron Sight setup to ensure accuracy.

My stock is always set on the number 2 position back from the receiver. In the winter, I might set it on the first position of I'm wearing a "Really Heavy" coat.

Gunfixr
11-23-07, 00:11
My stock is the old style 3-position stock, a la CAR-15. I have added a 4th position halfway between the middle and all the way out spots. I don't use it, I use the halfway out position pretty much exclusively. I have toyed with the idea of adding another spot between collapsed and halfway, but I like the halfway spot so well. I'm 6'4" and have pretty long arms. In just putting the stock in the theorized new position and shouldering it, I feel cramped, so I haven't added it.

Failure2Stop
11-23-07, 02:56
I am 5'10", with a proportionate reach for my height. I usually shoot with armor on, from a squared-off stance.

I run my collapsable stocks on the first notch. All the way collapsed seems to reduce the power from my right arm, and my left arm doesn't feel free enough to swing the gun right.

Two notches out is OK, but I don't feel as comfortable.

After that, it just starts to get unpleasant and heavy.

If you want to appreciate your collapsable stock, go do a day's worth of range-work with a 20" and fixed stock. Attach three pounds of weight on the handguards. It made me look at collapsable stocks with a renewed sense of appreciation.

KevinB
11-23-07, 07:45
I typically shoot my stocks all the way in when in armor - if they have a rubber butpad (Vltor E-Mod, CTR, CRANE) other are out one notch -- and this will change if I am prone or sitting as well (and have time)
I shoot NTCH - since I use a Short Dot a lot of the time -- that way I dont get habits with the CCO that dont translate to a vairiable optic.

I also find runing the gun in closer - I can thus get my support hand out futher to help control follow up shots etc.

Harv
11-23-07, 09:27
Same here..

Al the way closed on my SOPMOD or CTR.. with my Plate carrier on.

For T-shirts.. maybe one notch out...

as for NTCH.. I stopped doing that a loonnnnng tinme ago..

Might be great for recruit training and I know about the Consistent check weld,etc...but With Reflex sights.. I don't find it required for my style of shooting..

Erick Gelhaus
11-23-07, 12:58
Generally one click out from closed - in armor (concealed or external) or with load carrying equipment. Occasionally, I'll go two clicks out if I'm just in a shirt.

That's for a 5'10" guy using either Crane/LMT or the MagPul CTR stocks.

variablebinary
11-23-07, 17:53
One or two clicks open usually

GLOCKMASTER
11-23-07, 18:51
I close it enough so I can shoot NTCH.

QuickStrike
11-23-07, 19:33
I'm a lil' feller so I like shooting with the stock in the first position, but can manage with it collapsed all the way also.

Jay Cunningham
11-23-07, 19:47
I've changed my position (so to speak) on this.

I used to shoot with the stock one click out. After training with LAV a bit I run it about 3 clicks out. I do not wear armor but do wear a chest carrier in classes.

Don Robison
11-23-07, 20:27
One click in from full extension with no armor, two clicks in with armor.

sonrider657
11-23-07, 22:09
I extend the stock out as far as it will go and I wish that it would go even further. (I'm 6'2 with unusually long arms.)

JoshNC
11-23-07, 22:12
I run mine almost exclusively in the first position.

Don Robison
11-23-07, 22:12
(I'm 6'2 with unusually long arms.)

Sorry, but this came to mind and made me chuckle:D :D

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s69/Donr101395/IMG_1330_Orangutang.jpg

sonrider657
11-23-07, 22:15
Hey, where did you get my picture?! ;)

EmanP
11-24-07, 13:09
One to two clicks depending on what kind of shooting I'm doing. Actually, benching and prone has me going 3 out.

Stickman
11-24-07, 13:27
Real world use and running drills while wearing armor ends up with the stock pulled in towards the center of my chest and the stock collapsed most if not all the way.

Beat Trash
11-25-07, 14:30
For me, I put nose to charging handle, been doing this too long to change now.

Four position stock, I have the stock set for one in from fully extended, when just wearing soft armor. In the winter when I have a coat on over my uniform, then two in from fully extended. I'm 5'11", average arms for my height.

Robb Jensen
11-25-07, 14:34
Usually I use mine on the 3rd click out (from closed).

Mojo58
11-28-07, 13:38
Closed when wearing armor. 2 notches out without.

markm
11-28-07, 13:50
Any time I'm taking a shot where I'm lining up the irons, I'm nose to CH.

Contact distance center of mass shots, not so much.

MX5
11-29-07, 08:10
5'10" with long arms. Jocked-up with armor, closed position. Street garb & in matches, squared to targets, 1 notch out. Both place the CH close to nose tip. For really long shots, prone with plenty of time, adjust as needed. It's just one of those things you have to work with to find what works best for you. A friend of mine is about 5'2", short arms & prefers a fixed stock or will shoot adjustable stock fully extended. In classes I've seen many shooters 'prefer' longer stocks, but often will change to a shorter one after proper instruction, if they give it a fair run. Find what works for you by shooting it - a lot!

comp1911
11-29-07, 10:18
Vltor clubfoot mod stock, 6'1", heavy coat, 3rd position on a 5 postion stock.