PDA

View Full Version : S&W sending new replacement Uppers

hedp
11-02-11, 18:45
My department ordered a bunch of S&W MP15X's as patrol rifles and we had a few that had issues being sighted in with our current training ammo. They measured the chambers and found that the ones that had issues chamber's were a little tight.

Apparently S&W had Mossberg make some of their barrels and those are the ones with issues.

Another problem was that the training ammo might be defective also. So are getting new training ammo.

S&W is sending out complete replacement uppers for all of our guns. (I doubt we will get to keep the old uppers, although I would like to keep mine.)

Has anyone else heard of this issue?

pira114
11-02-11, 21:04
I don't know for sure, but what I've heard is that S&W barrels were all Mossberg initially. After some issues, they are made in house.

But I also heard that they used to use Stag stuff and the barrels are/were Wilson.

No one seems to really know.

BIGUGLY
11-03-11, 11:04
Iowa State Patrol had their Smith and Wesson upper replaced recently, part was the front sight and they added a quadrail. There were some issues but no one has been able to give a difinitive answer to what all the problems were from.

ST911
11-04-11, 21:03
TC barrels early on, as I recall.

Try to mic, cast, or gauge the barrels before they go back. Also, complete photo doc of the gun and internals would be nice. Add both bits of data to the collective knowledge base.

If ammo is at issue, try it in a known-good. Likewise, get some known-good ammo to try in suspect guns for rule-out.

PdxMotoxer
11-05-11, 16:56
Did i miss something??

Because this thread is being used for reference that Smith is making "out of spec" barrels.
And this thread gives "another reason NOT to buy a S&W AR"

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=91958&page=2

I view this topic as Great Customer support.
it might be the upper or just bad "training ammo" so Smith sent all NEW uppers just in case.