PDA

View Full Version : Uninaginable stupidity

Suwannee Tim
11-03-11, 08:33
Last Saturday I went to visit friends who have moved to south Georgia. Danny had bought a new used car and had found a handgun in the trunk. He turned it over to his brother-in-law who "knows all about guns" and had LE connections he could use to determine if the gun was stolen. It wasn't stolen so BIL took it to the flea market and had it on his table, for sale with some knives, tools and miscellaneous junk. I was interested in the gun so Danny took me to the flea market. We found BIL and chatted for several minutes during which time two persons picked up the gun, a 22 caliber Beretta 21A, of course with no muzzle discipline whatsoever. After a bit, I picked up the pistol and dropped the magazine. It was loaded. Then I checked the chamber. It was also loaded. When I asked BIL why he had a loaded pistol on display on his flea market table he informed me "The safety was on" as indeed it was. I regard this incident as absolute proof, not that any more was needed, proof that God looks out for old dogs, drunks and fools. And BILs from south Georgia, a special class of fool.

brzusa.1911
11-03-11, 08:51
Last Saturday I went to visit friends who have moved to south Georgia. Danny had bought a new used car and had found a handgun in the trunk. He turned it over to his brother-in-law who "knows all about guns" and had LE connections he could use to determine if the gun was stolen. It wasn't stolen so BIL took it to the flea market and had it on his table, for sale with some knives, tools and miscellaneous junk. I was interested in the gun so Danny took me to the flea market. We found BIL and chatted for several minutes during which time two persons picked up the gun, a 22 caliber Beretta 21A, of course with no muzzle discipline whatsoever. After a bit, I picked up the pistol and dropped the magazine. It was loaded. Then I checked the chamber. It was also loaded. When I asked BIL why he had a loaded pistol on display on his flea market table he informed me "The safety was on" as indeed it was. I regard this incident as absolute proof, not that any more was needed, proof that God looks out for old dogs, drunks and fools. And BILs from south Georgia, a special class of fool.

:nono: What a fool!

Honu
11-03-11, 15:25
and proof why dumb yocal jokes will continue :)

Suwannee Tim
11-03-11, 19:18
Yokel is it. Forty years replacing railroad crossties has rotted his brain. Not to disparage Maintenance of Way folks in general. I am sure they are on average, a very intelligent lot.

QuietShootr
11-03-11, 19:21
And he probably wasn't all that bright to begin with.

Jesus christ.

Abraxas
11-03-11, 19:36
I always wonder how people like that live as long as they do. Then again, some might say that about me if they saw my **** ups.

Honu
11-03-11, 21:33
The questions I would get asked on the boats often made me wonder how people so stupid could make enough to go to Maui :)

From how deep do we have to dive to get under the island
Where do the natives live !
So do you live on the island to or do you commute ?

to the ones coming out asking about things like do we need power adapters do we need our passports is the water safe to drink ?

Stupid is truly everywhere seems more so than ever :)

SteyrAUG
11-03-11, 21:44
From the very beginning my father instilled in me to visually inspect the chamber of any firearm in your possession. I can't count the number of times I have been handed a loaded firearm with no warning and even assurances that it wasn't loaded.

Honu
11-04-11, 01:01
From the very beginning my father instilled in me to visually inspect the chamber of any firearm in your possession. I can't count the number of times I have been handed a loaded firearm with no warning and even assurances that it wasn't loaded.

curious when the person handed it to you and you started checking the person says DONT WORRY ITS NOT LOADED ! and turns out it was ?

SteyrAUG
11-04-11, 11:13
curious when the person handed it to you and you started checking the person says DONT WORRY ITS NOT LOADED ! and turns out it was ?

Usually more a case of they are handing it to me, I ask "Is it loaded?", they assure me it is not loaded, I check and then hand them the full magazine and/or live round from the chamber.

Then it is simply a matter of trying to contain my deep desire to smack them with the firearm they just handed me.

CarlosDJackal
11-04-11, 12:04
Many years ago when my brother-by-law bought his first handgun he used to walk around the house like he was in the old west. He thought it was cool to "fast draw" and point it at me once in a while. No amount of scolding by seem to work because he would revert back to doing the same thing months later.

One day when we were watching some movie (I think it was "Tombstone") he kept drawing the gun and pointing at the TV without bothering to check the chamber (he never pulled the trigger). I told him he should check to make sure the gun was not loaded before he did so. His response was always "It's not loaded".

So I snuck off and grabbed a 9mm cartridge and palmed it. They next time he drew and pointed it at the TV with my Dad and sister present I borrowed the gun (I think it was a Ruger P89). I dropped the magazine and "cleared" the gun by locking the slide open.

His eyes got huge and he turned very white when I produced the cartridge that I "extracted from the chamber". I made a huge stink about it asking him who he had pointed the gun at this whole time. He would not answer and just put the gun and his holster away. I told my sister what I had done and she started laughing because she saw him looking down the muzzle at some point.

That was the last time I ever saw him play with a real handgun (I left that house more than 10-years ago). Neither my sister or I have ever told him about this to date.

A buddy of mine has a Gun Shop in town that he opened just over a year ago. One guy who likes to hang out there likes to fast draw with his carry gun and likes to point any gun he has in his hand at the main entrance. After I walked into his line-of-sight a few weeks ago I've avoided going there whenever I saw his car parked outside.

I've just waiting for someone to call 9-1-1 because they see him pointing a gun at them outside the shop. And yes, I have repeatedly told the owner about it and he had supposedly addressed it. But it doesn't seem like this guy has learned anything from it. I guess some people never really grow up.

I often wonder what a cop would do if he were to look into the shop only to see some idiot pointing a gun at them? Personally, I'd rather not be around to find out.

Suwannee Tim
11-04-11, 20:25
I took this Beretta 22A with me to the range today. None of the cartridges in the magazine went "bang". Too old I reckon. The damned thing flings brass in my face. Most of them popped me right on the forehead but some hit my glasses or face. I can't live with that. It's going back to BIL to sell at the flea market. I remembered this complaint from years ago about this gun. I'm glad I didn't buy it at a gun store. This was not Beretta's finest moment.