PDA

View Full Version : G17 Issues

bubba04
11-03-11, 08:42
Guys I have a gen 3 RTF g17 that has recently started giving me issues (PEP serial). The round count on it is just over 2500 rounds.

I am having issues while shooting it and the slide not fully closing on a round. Initially I thought this was a bad batch of ammo, however I have switched out brands and continue to have issues. 200 rounds ago I replaced the recoil spring assembly with a new glock OEM assembly and I am still having the issues. It seems to be happening about 1 to 2% of the time.

Yall got any ideas on how I can correct this?

samuse
11-03-11, 09:27
Is the rod and spring that pushes on the extractor installed correctly (metal end forward) and complete (plastic bushing, spring, metal rod)?

bubba04
11-03-11, 09:28
I will have to look, I have never takin that apart.

KTR03
11-03-11, 10:41
Make sure the gun is empty. Rack the Slide. Pull the trigger. Keep your finger tight against the rear of the frame. Point the pistol towards the cieling. Rack the slide slowly and stopp with about 1/2 inch of travel left. Let go of the slide. If the slide shuts the last 1/2 inch by itself, its not your recoil spring. If it doesn't, replace, repeat.

Failing that, take a good look at the rails, make sure there is no crud in the locking block area, barrel hood... clean the whole thing really well. Its sounds like there is something that is causing the slide to rub. Any after market parts in the gun?

bubba04
11-03-11, 10:47
Nothing, its all stock. I replaced the recoil spring with factory glock 200 rounds ago, and since have had the issue twice.

I will give her a real good cleaning and see if that helps.

Nephrology
11-03-11, 18:13
I have the same pistol and it has had the same problem.

Question:

Have you ever detail stripped it? If so did you properly seat the firing pin safety spring into the firing pin safety plunger? that addressed most of my problems.

And definitely clean it, particularly the underside of the slide where the trigger bar meets the slide...

nobody knows
11-04-11, 11:10
How far is the slide closing on the round? I ask because I have a gen three glock ser# NXZ and after 3000 rounds my pistol started to fail to fully close on a round once every 100-200rds. I cleaned the pistole and polished the feed ramp and I have not had the problem since(I have put another 1500rds through it) give that a try and see if it works. Good luck with your pistol.

bubba04
11-04-11, 12:40
How far is the slide closing on the round? I ask because I have a gen three glock ser# NXZ and after 3000 rounds my pistol started to fail to fully close on a round once every 100-200rds. I cleaned the pistole and polished the feed ramp and I have not had the problem since(I have put another 1500rds through it) give that a try and see if it works. Good luck with your pistol.

The slide is failing to close between 1/2 a CM and 1 CM. I believe I will do a good detail strip and clean, and make sure I have everything put together correctly.

This issue might have started around the time I took it apart to look at the spring cups. However I am not 100% sure this is the pistol I did it too....though I think it is.

Nephrology
11-04-11, 15:56
The slide is failing to close between 1/2 a CM and 1 CM. I believe I will do a good detail strip and clean, and make sure I have everything put together correctly.

This issue might have started around the time I took it apart to look at the spring cups. However I am not 100% sure this is the pistol I did it too....though I think it is.

Re-install your firing pin safety plunger and make sure that you seated the firing pin safety plunger spring properly. that is, seated all the way, 1/4 turn clockwise.

What happened to my pistol was that the firing pin plunger was i not seated 100% and so it interfered with the return stroke of my slide as it dragged across the trigger bar.

bubba04
11-04-11, 16:21
Re-install your firing pin safety plunger and make sure that you seated the firing pin safety plunger spring properly. that is, seated all the way, 1/4 turn clockwise.

What happened to my pistol was that the firing pin plunger was i not seated 100% and so it interfered with the return stroke of my slide as it dragged across the trigger bar.

Cool thanks for the heads up. I will do that tonight. So you were having similar failures?

Nephrology
11-04-11, 19:19
Cool thanks for the heads up. I will do that tonight. So you were having similar failures?

Yup same gun and everything. What are the first 3 letters of your serial #? Mine is NLE(###). Wonder if yours is close.

I only ask because mine felt like it was a little teethy even the firing pin safety aside. If you mucked with the slide recently I bet there is a strong possibility that you have the same issue.