PDA

View Full Version : Purpose Built .22

Blayglock
11-03-11, 16:31
Do many of your have a purpose built .22 for foraging and what-not during a disaster. If so, what is your setup?

SteveS
11-03-11, 16:58
What do you think would be required for a purpose built 22? A very interesting thought!!!

Belmont31R
11-03-11, 17:20
I have a TacSol X-ring factory gun (10/22 pattern) with a 3-9 Leupold.

With subsonics it makes less noise than my RWS pellet gun.

JohnnyC
11-03-11, 17:26
There's this for lightweight packing. It uses a Crickett .22 as a donor action. Not a bad idea to throw in a BOB, and certainly useful for getting game.

Pack rifle kit. (http://www.rutalocura.com/PRK.html)

High Tower
11-03-11, 18:03
I have a stainless 10/22 with a folding stock and a Nikon 3-9x40. Plus, I put a Volquartsen hammer kit in which made the trigger pull a lot smoother.

This is what I would use to forage for food if times became desperate.

broylz
11-03-11, 23:01
http://www.agparms.com/agp-arms-take-down-10-22-conversion/
im thinking about one of these. maybe an SBR with a can?

broylz
11-03-11, 23:03
There's this for lightweight packing. It uses a Crickett .22 as a donor action. Not a bad idea to throw in a BOB, and certainly useful for getting game.

Pack rifle kit. (http://www.rutalocura.com/PRK.html)

this would be better if they would offer the stock kit without the barrel and let it work with the factory barrel. i would imagine it could be DIY'd fairly easy.

docsherm
11-03-11, 23:19
I have 2 sons and I got a 10/22 for each when they were born. I have a stainless 10/22 with a 18" barrel with a Bushnell 2x8 and a Compact 10/22 16" barrel with a Bushnell 1x4. Great little guns. I also have several mags for each. They are good for small game and also to teach my kids how to shoot.

Dave L.
11-04-11, 00:55
I have a stainless 10/22 with a folding stock and a Nikon 3-9x40. Plus, I put a Volquartsen hammer kit in which made the trigger pull a lot smoother.

This is what I would use to forage for food if times became desperate.

+1
High Tower and I decided to build these "sister" guns a while back. They turned out great. We also used the TacSol base and rings. The folding stock is the stainless Butler Creek.
I have not coughed up the money yet for the Volquartsen but have played with HT's and it makes a huge difference on trigger pull.

Our criteria was:
-Reliability
-High Capacity if needed
-Able to conserve ammo (hence the 3-9 optic with .22LR BDC reticule)
-Light weight
-Easily packable
-Affordable

Pretty much in that order.

Irish
11-04-11, 16:22
I have a TacSol X-ring factory gun (10/22 pattern) with a 3-9 Leupold.

With subsonics it makes less noise than my RWS pellet gun.

What are your thoughts on the TacSol rifles? I was contemplating going this route and getting the threaded barrel to mount a suppressor

EDIT: My reason for looking at these is just to buy the "upgraded" rifle already and not having to swap out a bunch of parts which is what I see a lot of people doing with the 10/22 to customize them.

JohnnyC
11-04-11, 16:25
this would be better if they would offer the stock kit without the barrel and let it work with the factory barrel. i would imagine it could be DIY'd fairly easy.

I think they only did that to save weight. They're an ultralight backpacking manufacturer. I'd like to see the light barrel with 1/2x28 threads on it. I bet you could DIY the stock and have someone thread the factory barrel and it would be a pretty sweet little pack gun.

Belmont31R
11-04-11, 22:45
What are your thoughts on the TacSol rifles? I was contemplating going this route and getting the threaded barrel to mount a suppressor

EDIT: My reason for looking at these is just to buy the "upgraded" rifle already and not having to swap out a bunch of parts which is what I see a lot of people doing with the 10/22 to customize them.

Ive had two now (sold one). Its been very reliable and accuracy is pretty good. I bought it to have a 22LR around and for my dad to shoot when he comes home on RR's. Its been 100% with factory 10rd Ruger mags, and don't really have any complaints about it. Trigger is a factory 10/22 with the plastic guard but upgraded parts are not too expensive. The stock trigger is not so bad Ive really even thought about changing it though. Id rate the reliability at 9.5/10 and CCI mini mags have worked great.

The integrated rail for optics is awesome, too. Ive read quite a few complaints about poor tapping on factory Ruger 10/22's, and then you have to buy a mount.

Factory threaded, too, so if you ever want a can its a pretty easy thing to do.

Moose-Knuckle
11-05-11, 16:17
Good thread idea, I have a Ruger 10/22 and 22/45. I would like to get both of these to where they can run the same can. Got the ammo (Federal 550 round packs) and mags (steel lips and hot lips for the 10/22).

I'm looking at getting the Hogue stock in FDE for the 10/22 as well as some sort of optics.

Any ideas what can would work on both guns?

broylz
11-05-11, 16:38
any threaded can will work for both if you get threaded barrels for them

Irish
11-05-11, 17:08
Good thread idea, I have a Ruger 10/22 and 22/45. I would like to get both of these to where they can run the same can.

That's my intention as well. Most cans are threaded for 1/2" X 28 TPI (Threads Per Inch) that I've seen and am currently researching.

Mark/MO
11-06-11, 10:14
That's my intention as well. Most cans are threaded for 1/2" X 28 TPI (Threads Per Inch) that I've seen and am currently researching.

I have been mulling this over as well. Currently I have several 10/22 rifles, both scoped and one with peep sights (rabbit hunting gun). I feel the 10/22 would be one of the best for this purpose. They’re reliable plus have the advantage of abundant parts and magazines.

Like Irish I have lately been contemplating the usefulness of a silencer. I’m leaning towards one for a 22. I feel it would be the most useful, at least in my case. Interesting thread.

Irish
11-06-11, 10:30
2 other options with factory threaded barrels.

1. Savage Mk II FV-SR (Bolt action, threaded barrel) MSRP $315
2. Savage 64 TRR-SR (Semi, threaded barrel) MSRP $315

PA PATRIOT
11-06-11, 10:53
I also say a stock Ruger 10/22 with some Ruger 25rd magazines would be ideal but I could see two mod's worth adding.

Peep or higher quality Red Dot sight.

Butler Creek folding Stock.

Faster sighting with the ability to reduce the total length make the 10/22 a better overall defensive tool.

Dave L.
11-06-11, 11:43
I also say a stock Ruger 10/22 with some Ruger 25rd magazines would be ideal but I could see two mod's worth adding.

Peep or higher quality Red Dot sight.

Butler Creek folding Stock.

Faster sighting with the ability to reduce the total length make the 10/22 a better overall defensive tool.

Check out the Nikon PROSTAFF 3-9X40 Rimfire BDC 150:
http://www.nikonhunting.com/products/riflescopes/prostaff/3-9x40_Rimfire_-_BDC_150/6725
I chose this scope because of all the features, but the BDC sold it for me. As a primary foraging tool, the scope could also be used to "keep heads down" at longer range if needed. The hand turn turrets also make zeroing very easy.

Irish
11-06-11, 12:00
Check out the Nikon PROSTAFF 3-9X40 Rimfire BDC 150:
http://www.nikonhunting.com/products/riflescopes/prostaff/3-9x40_Rimfire_-_BDC_150/6725
I chose this scope because of all the features, but the BDC sold it for me. As a primary foraging tool, the scope could also be used to "keep heads down" at longer range if needed. The hand turn turrets also make zeroing very easy.

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like a great .22 scope at a reasonable price.

Dave L.
11-06-11, 12:14
Thanks for the heads up. Looks like a great .22 scope at a reasonable price.

No prob, I'm going to get another one for my other 10/22 that currently has a RDS.
I also recommend the TacSol Base (http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/ruger%c2%ae-1022%c2%ae-15moa-black-scope-base) & Rings (http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/qd-scope-rings-matte-black). I was extremely impressed with the quality and simplicity of the system.

PA PATRIOT
11-06-11, 14:13
I have seen the Nikon scopes and they are very nice for the money, I ended up going with another BDC scope a 3x9x40AO made by BSA called the Sweet-22 which I found on a Black Friday sale last year for $20.00 each. I ended up with five of them and so far they have been outstanding performers with zero issues.

I have found that the Federal Lighting 510 40gr lead round nose to be a perfect match out of my stock Ruger 10/22 using the 40 grain drum out to 150yds hitting COM on a B-27 target.

I do believe that a accurate .22LR set-up can be used for suppression fire at distance in a SHTF environment as long as it is deployed from a secure cover location. Even the untrained can handle and effectively shoot a scoped .22LR so its not a bad option to have available.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/779/779113.jpg

Irish
11-06-11, 17:19
Its been 100% with factory 10rd Ruger mags, and don't really have any complaints about it. Trigger is a factory 10/22 with the plastic guard but upgraded parts are not too expensive. The stock trigger is not so bad Ive really even thought about changing it though. Id rate the reliability at 9.5/10 and CCI mini mags have worked great.

The integrated rail for optics is awesome, too. Ive read quite a few complaints about poor tapping on factory Ruger 10/22's, and then you have to buy a mount.

Factory threaded, too, so if you ever want a can its a pretty easy thing to do.

All that being said would you recommend going with the X Ring rifle or something else in that price range? I'm looking for a threaded barrel as I'd like to shoot it suppressed not only for myself, plinking & varmints, but also to teach my son to shoot in a few years. At this time I'm not looking to get upgrade-itis with a stock 10/22 and end up spending as much for an X or more and am wondering if I can buy this and be content for a while, I know that's subjective.

The CZ's don't look suppressor friendly from their website, I could be mistaken. The Savage MK-II FV-SR (bolt action) and 64 TRR-SR (semi-auto) look like fairly inexpensive options at MSRP $315 but I'm not sure about their reliability or accuracy.

Ga Shooter
11-07-11, 12:19
I started looking into this as well. A local dealer here has the X-Ring at $249.95. They also are a Class III dealer and said the can would screw right on. On several threads at silencer talk they indicated that the threads on a Ruger 10/22 threaded barrel were to long and you will need a spacer or it will damage the can. I do not know i f this would apply to the Xring rifle or not. I am planning on going out there this weekend and update what I learn (or probably sold). I am a complete noob at the whole nfa suppressor thing so know that I am repeating what I have read.

Irish
11-07-11, 12:21
The KIDD 10/22 rifles look pretty shit hot and the guys over at rimfire give them very high marks.

rkba01
11-07-11, 14:03
I think the AAC 10/22 would be just the ticket.

http://www.aacblog.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_2237-600x450.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck9FWqhekJk

Ga Shooter
11-07-11, 15:26
The KIDD 10/22 rifles look pretty shit hot and the guys over at rimfire give them very high marks.

Too rich for my blood, but it does look nice.

Irish
11-07-11, 20:41
I think the AAC 10/22 would be just the ticket.

http://www.aacblog.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_2237-600x450.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck9FWqhekJk

I started a thread on that particular rifle here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=78027

High Tower
11-08-11, 09:32
All that being said would you recommend going with the X Ring rifle or something else in that price range? I'm looking for a threaded barrel as I'd like to shoot it suppressed not only for myself, plinking & varmints, but also to teach my son to shoot in a few years. At this time I'm not looking to get upgrade-itis with a stock 10/22 and end up spending as much for an X or more and am wondering if I can buy this and be content for a while, I know that's subjective.

I would recommend the X-Ring. I really, really like their receiver, mounts, rings, and barrel. The trigger isn't the best out there, but its still 20X better than a factory trigger. Plus, you will not have any issues mounting a suppressor. Or, you can get the X-Ring rifle complete w/ an integrally suppressed barrel.

I'm not a huge fan of their mag release lever, but that's my 2 cents. I just think its a little to flimsy for field work.

theJanitor
11-11-11, 19:35
I bought a takedown stock a long time ago. I believe it's now disco'd. push a button, fold down fore-end and remove barrel. I have the scope on leupold QD rings. It's accurate, and fairly repeatable after reassembly. fits in a backpack really well.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5225/5673655113_7b43c0d7ae_b.jpg

Robryan
11-12-11, 21:08
I have a 22 Henry AR-7 survival rifle that I consider a piece of junk. The 22 rife I would grab is my pump 22
For the following reasons. It will shoot shorts, longs, long rifle, cb caps, bird shot and a few others. CB,s are as powerful as a pelet rifle and make about the same noise. Bird shot for small rodents and a full length barrel to get top velocity out of long rifles. The pump action is so short on a pump that you can cycle it almost as fast as a simi (well at least as fast as you would possibly need). But one of the most important things is if dirty you would be able to cycle it when a simi would just jam up.

Ga Shooter
11-13-11, 16:37
Finally amde it to the gun store yesterday and they did not have an x-ring like the idiot on the phone said they did. They also did not have any 10/22 with threaded barrels. What they did have though is a Savage Mark II FV-SR with a threaded barrel. Has anyone had one or used one? Are they any good. I am a pretty big Savage fan as all of my precision bolt guns and hunting lever actions are Savages and they all preform excellent.

PlatoCATM
11-13-11, 20:43
I have a mark ii sv-fr set up, but don't have a lot of trigger time with it yet. I've only fired about 60 rounds so far, but with some Eley and CCI velocitor ammo have shot some roughly nickel-sized groups at 50 yards. The first round of velocitor did not feed well, but only got to shoot one mag of that. The stock pretty much sucks, but I will deal with it instead of throwing as much money on a new one as the rifle cost. I bought this model for the scope rail and threaded barrel, which I wanted in case I decided to pony-up for a suppressor. I'm now waiting on a Sparrow to be transferred to my dealer.:D

60buckscash
11-14-11, 20:56
I have a 10/22 mostly stock with the following:
-2x red dot
-extended mag release
-polished inners

It's a great small game gun and does wonders at steel challenge matches.

As for a non semi gun I have a Henry-001 with a 3-9x scope on it. I use it to weed the 100yd berm when I get bored making ragged holes. I find the lever action to be quicked to operate than a bolt and it takes all flavors of 22.

lwilcox28
11-14-11, 21:49
I picked up a Ruger 10/22 tactical with threaded barrel and a few 25rd mags today. I’m going to start the process of ordering a suppressor next week and then look to pick up a cheap (try to stay under $600) night vision scope. I think a setup like this could pay dividends.

Dienekes
11-15-11, 14:52
About 20 years ago I picked up a Savage M24C ("Camper's Special") .22LR/20 ga over/under. It's short and even shorter when broken down. The trigger isn't too bad since I lightened the m/s, and it's quite accurate with .22s. I'm not a shotgunner, but it will definitely do the job. My then young son actually did pretty well shooting clay birds with it to the amazement of onlookers. I figure that 20 ga. loads with slugs are about equivalent to a .45-70, which isn't anything to sneeze at. I also have a .30-30 liner which fits it; but the POA and POI aren't very close to the sights. And I drilled out the buttstock to hold some extra .22s and a pull-through. All in all a pretty slick setup--and no doubt very hard to find these days.

I like it. Too bad they're long out of production.

LonghunterCO
11-16-11, 20:48

I have a Kidd on my wife's 10/22. I (she) really like it and it is threaded. Expensive, but very accurate. It is their light weight one, but I would really call it a mid-weight.
As to scopes the Muller Apv and Apt scopes are nice on rimfires.
For guys interested in irons on their 10/22s the Tech Sights are nice (AR type sight picture).
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l318/Longhunter-CO/P5300491.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l318/Longhunter-CO/PA160012.jpg

Moose-Knuckle
11-16-11, 21:35
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l318/Longhunter-CO/P5300491.jpg

I'm dig'n that one on the left. :cool:

LonghunterCO
11-18-11, 21:47
I'm dig'n that one on the left. :cool:

Thanks
Ruger 10/22 receiver and bolt
Trailblazer stock cut down to 12" pull (again wife's rifle)
Kidd 2 stage trigger with speed mag release
Kidd extractor
Kidd bolt charging handle
Kidd light weight, threaded, blue 16"
RT scope mount
Vortex rings
Mueller APV 4.5-14x with AO

fixer
11-23-11, 22:44
i see AGP has been mentioned, but they have a new take down barrel kit to go with their stock

http://www.agparms.com/

http://www.agparms.com/product_images/uploaded_images/10-22-takedown-web1.jpg

which currently has a 16" blued barrel, threaded muzzle, but they're working on a similar barrel in stainless, and a 7" barrel that will store in the stock if you SBR it.

evidently they're gonna have multiple diameters or CF handguard tubes, some available in different lengths or just a knurled nut. possibly more options in the future.

and a clamp on dovetail to use with Tech Sights.

i've got one of their stocks. i'm waiting on the stainless barrel and dovetail adapter and see what they come out with for handguards by then. i've got a rifle with Tech Sights and a half of a Picatinny rail for a micro RDS in the stock now. just looking to make it a little shorter and lighter.

the accuracy reports i hear on TacSol barrels are not very impressive. many users report 1.5" to 2" groups at 50 yards. shooters with Kidd barrels usually seem to report dime size to single hole groups at that distance. the base price for Kidd and TacSol barrels is about the same. just depends on if you want cool looks and light weight or accuracy for your money.

and while Hogue stocks are inexpensive, look nice, feel OK, they don't seem to be very stiff and complaints of POI shift from stock flex are not uncommon. obviously the stock won't change with humidity, but if you change from slung up tight to using a bipod it could cause a change.

blake g
11-24-11, 12:20
While I have a (large) handful of .22 rifles the one that I would reach for if need to "harvest" edibles would be one of my 2 Ruger Mk I's with RDS. They are both 6 7/8" tapered and accurate as anything else I own, especially when fed a diet of std vel solids that have been flattened slightly with the DRock tool.

They have taken everything up to and including wolves and coyotes and used on a number of very large cattle (controlled environment), and are FAR more portable than any rifle out there - just something to consider...

blake

Dave L.
11-24-11, 12:31
While I have a (large) handful of .22 rifles the one that I would reach for if need to "harvest" edibles would be one of my 2 Ruger Mk I's with RDS. ...snip... and are FAR more portable than any rifle out there - just something to consider...

I would definitely take an accurate .22 pistol as a backup. While it may be lighter, more portable, and just as accurate, it fails in the mag capacity category. I would rather have 4, 25-round mags than 10, 10-round mags to fill the defensive roll of the weapon.

blake g
11-24-11, 15:15
I would definitely take an accurate .22 pistol as a backup. While it may be lighter, more portable, and just as accurate, it fails in the mag capacity category. I would rather have 4, 25-round mags than 10, 10-round mags to fill the defensive roll of the weapon.

I agree 100% - but I do not envision the .22 as a primary defensive weapon. If that were the situation I would start "poaching people" as a direct route to a battlefield pick-up... ;)

It would strictly be supplementary and as a method of avoiding the carrying of two long-guns. Probably in the pack until needed, and if that is the case why carry 2 .22's???

blake

Lost River
12-17-11, 17:49
For years I have used this Marlin Mountie .22 as a primary fun gun for small game:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/dec2006212.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/dec2006061-1.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/dec2006222.jpg

I have numerous other .22s to choose from, but the old Mountie is the one I grab most often. It has dealt many a deadly blow to many a desert jack.

Lost River
12-17-11, 17:59
My CZ 452 is threaded for my Gemtech can and due to the rifle being a bolt gun, it is rather quiet and quite handy in dispatching critters:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/017-4.jpg

The same story with this old Marlin Model 25, which I had the barrel chopped down t 16.5"s, thraded for the Gemtech, and put a fixed 2.5x Weaver on. It is great a lightweight little carbine for fast moving targets through the sagebrush:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/029-2.jpg

Lost River
12-17-11, 18:04
Choices,choices, choices...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/001-14.jpg

The Marvel conversion units are amazingly accurate and can be had built ready to accept a can:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/042.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/0082.jpg

Lost River
12-17-11, 18:14
I really think the inexpensive little Marlin 795s that have been going on sale for around $100 lately are real "sleepers". Both of the ones I have are very accurate and the rifles are rather light and handy to carry afield. Great little guns. One of the few guns on the market today where I think that you get more than what you pay for.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/013-4.jpg

Then there is the suppressed MKII...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/suppressedyote.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/miscgunpix.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/montanaIdaho083.jpg

Lost River
12-17-11, 18:25
The MKII is the gun that is usually close by whenever I travel. It has accounted for truckloads of varmints.

If I was to bugout somewhere, I would carry my carbine, a standard sidearm and the suppressed MKII. It has proven to be a super handy tool in the toolbox.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/016.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/53Yrds1shotSuprsd.jpg

jcsparky
01-02-12, 01:38
I have 3 10-22's.
one with a Gemtech OutbackIId, it has the Gemtech threaded Barrel also
one with a Liberty Essence, soon to be a Kidd build SS 18
Just one my Grandpa gave me... 73 vintage..

Armati
01-02-12, 09:56
My dad was in his teens during WWII. He lived in very rural Iowa. Many a day he would put meat on the table hunting rabbits with a single shot, bolt action .22. With rationing and all, it was sometimes the only meat they had.