PDA

View Full Version : Dinger.....AK's for you

TOrrock
08-18-06, 16:46
Z_Recto is a master at both building and refinishing wood stocks, he's highly regarded......

The MAADI was built in Egypt on Russian tooling set up by the Soviets when Naser was allied with them in the 60's. It really doesn't get much more authentic than that.

I'm sorely tempted on the Hungarian underfolder......

http://www.akforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8021

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/cmepw/rifles/DSC06568.jpg

SuicideHz
08-18-06, 16:56
Is it just me or is the slant brake on wrong? It seems to be it was soldered on to face straight up. It needs to go 1/8 turn more...

VA_Dinger
08-18-06, 17:01
Wow, those are damn nice.

Is that one of the Styer(Sp?) Maadi's or one of the later Maadi imports. I remember the preban Styer(?) imports were some of the most highly regarded AKM's in the U.S. because they are totally built on Russian machinery.

Weren’t the later models a serious drop off in quality? I seem to remember them being half Chinese/ half Egyptian rifles built up by the U.S. importer. I remember the Styer Maadi's went for $1,000 or more and the later imports were $350-$400.

Not that I would kick either out of bed though. I don’t even own an AK right now.

Plus Troy already worked on it, so it must be perfect. I’m going to have contact that seller.

TOrrock
08-18-06, 17:01
Whoops....you might be right...didn't notice that before.

I've been trying to help Dinger find something.....he's jonesing for an AK fix.

If I got the Maadi I'd have to unban it anyway.

I still think Dinger just needs to get himself a no ban SA-M7 Carbine and be done with it.

Is it just me or is the slant brake on wrong? It seems to be it was soldered on to face straight up. It needs to go 1/8 turn more...

TOrrock
08-18-06, 17:03
Wow, those are damn nice.

Is that one of the Styer(Sp?) Maadi's or one of the later Maadi imports. I remember the preban Styer(?) imports were some of the most highly regarded AKM's in the U.S. because they are totally built on Russian machinery.

Weren’t the later models a serious drop off in quality? I seem to remember them being half Chinese/ half Egyptian rifles built up by the U.S. importer. I remember the Styer Maadi's went for $1,000 or more and the later imports were $350-$400.

Not that I would kick either out of bed though. I don’t even own an AK right now.

Plus Troy already worked on it, so it must be perfect. I’m going to have contact that seller.

The Steyr imports were all early 80's, prior to the import ban of '89. They were of higher quality than the later imports, mostly fit/finish.

Some Century rifles were Egyptian/Chinese mutts, this isn't one of them. Basic AKM.........

VA_Dinger
08-18-06, 17:14
The Steyr imports were all early 80's, prior to the import ban of '89. They were of higher quality than the later imports, mostly fit/finish.

Some Century rifles were Egyptian/Chinese mutts, this isn't one of them. Basic AKM.........

10-4, thanks Tim.

Nitrox
08-18-06, 17:44
Weren’t the later models a serious drop off in quality?

Seems like a redundant statement when talking about an AK. :D

SuicideHz
08-18-06, 21:47
Nitrox- don't forget what your mother always told you about not having anything nice to say. :p

Templar- I was looking at my Polish AK and it's not hard to get yourself at an angle where the slant brake looks wrong. I would not think Troy would permanently mount one wrong, but you know the world is full of "engineers" who don't understand the real reasoning something was made the way it was and then "fix" it themselves.

TOrrock
08-18-06, 22:00
I wouldn't think so either Suicide....and Z_Recto certainly knows his stuff.

I'm seriously jonesing on that Hungarian AKMS.....I had one of the Kassnar FEG SA-85 underfolders imported in the 80's.......I stupidly sold it to a friend in 1992 for what I had into it.......$650.00.

Stupid stupid stupid..........

VA_Dinger
08-19-06, 10:43
Now you guys have me wanting to wait for the Arsenal SLR-108 to come out.

http://www.arsenalinc.com/slr108.htm

I've narrowed it down to the Yugo or the Arsenal (If it comes out fast enough).

TOrrock
08-19-06, 14:42
I don't think the stamped Arsenal's will be out until much later this year.