PDA

View Full Version : Taking a CPR/AED and First Aid on the 9th

VWtype2
11-03-11, 18:07
The class was $90- here in Vancouver,WA through the Red Cross. I have some Red Cross books that I have been reading and I'm excited to take the 7 hour course. Hopefully this will help me in a new career.

DJK
11-03-11, 20:02
I'm taking the same class for the same price here in Florida on the 26th. Looking forward to the refresher.

VWtype2
11-08-11, 22:31
Going tomorrow will let ya know how it goes.

VWtype2
11-10-11, 14:30
For $90 you think the Red Cross would ATLEAST give you a handbook. No written test,and some lady was so big she couldn't even get on the floor to perform CPR. Oh and she passed the course :blink:

It was a joke. Skipping 30 pages at a time. The kicker!!!

Red Cross DOES NOT recommend to look for pulses anymore. WTF? So anyways I am still pretty useless to the public (BUT I still passed) I don't feel comfortable at all dealing with a hurt/injured person.

Most questions asked the answer was "Call 9-1-1"

DJK
11-10-11, 15:06
When I signed up on-line, I had the option to down load the handbook. It is 12 pages of the basics. If it is your first class, it is a good place to start. The hard part is finding a more comprehensive class.

ST911
11-10-11, 15:06
Which ARC course did you take? There are different levels to accommodate the needs of different audiences. I prefer, and teach, the AHA curriculum(s). Take the AHA Healthcare Provider course.

VWtype2
11-10-11, 18:36
It was "Adult CPR/AED and First Aid" in one day 5.5 hours. I am all for technology,but I like to be able to have the info in book form (My cell last's maybe an hour if I am using youtube/scanning the web on it) I took the Red Cross because most companies are familiar with the logo,and won't second guess the training.

Just felt like we scanned through the day flipping page to page.

VWtype2
11-10-11, 18:37
Which ARC course did you take? There are different levels to accommodate the needs of different audiences. I prefer, and teach, the AHA curriculum(s). Take the AHA Healthcare Provider course.

I didn't see any rating on the course itself. (IE. Beginner/Advanced)

VWtype2
11-10-11, 18:42
Called an old book store on Main street in town. They have 3 handbook's and a teacher's aid book. I told them to hold all 4 for me. I am going to look at them tomorrow. At $6 buck's a pop what can I lose?

VWtype2
11-11-11, 14:27
Bought 3 of the 4.

35percent
12-02-11, 00:00
This is a good start but is just a small step into the world of EMS. There's lots of resources online for information and reviews on other classes.

VWtype2
12-12-11, 00:44
Cards came in the mail yesterday.

Omen
12-12-11, 18:38
I have taken these courses as well and agree that they are at best a good start, but by no means "complete."

All of what they teach assumes you will have access to a phone and be able to call 911.

I have seen that REI has some more involved courses that might be a good next step. Note that this is location specific, but I am in King/Snohomish so not too far from Vancouver. The REI courses are geared toward aid in the wilderness when help is nowhere near. I have not taken these courses, just sharing a potential direction to more training.

VWtype2
12-13-11, 00:55
I am going to have to look into that! More hands on and kinda more what I am looking for. Thanks for the heads up.

*EDIT checked out REI website. I might have to take this http://www.rei.com/outdoorschool/260/ I didn't realize they offered so many different classes.

calicojack
12-13-11, 06:29
call around to your local technical colleges. I graduate tomorrow as an emt student. take the national registry in jan....