PDA

View Full Version : Questions on SAPI vs. ESAPI plates

elephantrider
11-03-11, 21:30
I've been scouring the web to try and find some solid information on each of these type of plates, and I haven't been able to figure out the exact differences between the two. Looking for some feedback from those who have experience with either or both.

If I am way off on any of this, then someone please help me out.

It seems that the ESAPIs were adopted primarily to add protection against .30cal AP and semi-AP rounds, and are about 1.5-2 lbs heavier than the SAPIs (depending on plate size).

Here is what I would like to know:
- Are the ESAPIs also thicker than the SAPIs, or did they just get denser?
- Are the ESAPIs more durable (less prone to cracking damage) than the SAPIs, or are they about the same?
- Do the ESAPIs add any more protection from common threats than the SAPIs? Some contend that the M855 is one of the hardest rounds to stop aside from the .30 AP mentioned above. Even though they are not specifically rated/ tested for it, do the ESAPIs outperform the SAPIs against more common rifle threats?

Overall I am curious about what changed with the additional weight that was added, and if the ESAPIs are worth the extra weight if the 30cal AP protection isn't a concern.

Failure2Stop
11-03-11, 22:00
WARNING:
The following reply is not a direct answer to your questions.

I would not try to find ESAPI or SAPI armor.
There are much easier solutions.
I follow DocGKRs advice for multi-hit level III armor unless it is issued:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19910

kaltesherz
11-04-11, 12:19
ESAPI's are thicker than SAPI's as well as being heavier, and since there isn't much of a threat of 7.62x54 AP out here I just run SAPI's these days. But if I went overseas again I'd only run ESAPI's for sure, 7.62 AP is no joke.

Just keep in mind that good stand-alone plates are always going to be a better investment than stolen SAPI/ESAPI's of dubious background.

elephantrider
11-04-11, 17:34
Thanks for the feedback. If anyone else has more input, I would like to hear it.

redleg400
11-04-11, 21:44
Front and back SAPI plates:

Extra Small - 1.27 kg (2.8 lb) | 184 x 292 mm (7¼ x 11½ in)
Small - 1.59 kg (3.5 lb) | 222 x 298 mm (8¾ x 11¾ in)
Medium - 1.82 kg (4.0 lb) | 241 x 318 mm (9½ x 12½ in)
Large - 2.09 kg (4.6 lb) | 260 x 337 mm (10⅛ x 13¼ in)
Extra Large 2.40 kg (5.3 lb) | 280 x 356 mm (11 x 14 in)
ESAPI plates are the same size but slightly greater in weight.[7]

Extra Small - 1.70 kg (3.75 lb)
Small - 2.08 kg (4.60 lb)
Medium - 2.50 kg (5.50 lb)
Large - 2.85 kg (6.30 lb)
Extra Large - 3.25 kg (7.20 lb)

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/plate-inserts-for-us-body-armor-04416/#esapi

elephantrider
11-07-11, 20:17
Redleg

I've seen the specs you posted. My interest has more to do with the issues I listed that those specs do not address.

I'm not necessarily going to buy SAPIs or ESAPIs, but I am interested in how they perform as there are commercially available equivalents out there.

redleg400
11-08-11, 16:24
Well, I find that there is a high instance of breakage and failure due to rough handling. The military has a streamlined process for changing these out. But for the civlian market that could/would be a costly proposition.

As for your quesitons, I will defer to others. As I am just a lowly Logistics guy that sits behind a computer all day. My days of running around were cut short due to wearing the issued body armor and everything I needed on patrol..