PDA

View Full Version : Upper parts / assembly details ? Snap ring and weld spring

serevince
11-03-11, 23:09
I have a few questions regarding specs, options and requirements for the last details on my current upper build.

The last parts I am missing for the build (I think) are the weld spring and snap ring.

Most sites do not list the manufacturer for either part. One, lists DPMS as the manufacturer for the Weld Spring they sell.

Does it matter?

Can you point me in the right direction to pick up some quality parts at a reasonable price?

Unfortunately several of my go-to parts sites either; don't list the parts, only sell them as a set with a delta ring or want $10 to ship the 3oz worth of parts, or all of the above. It's irksome to pay $20 for $5 worth of parts and then throw away the rest. C'est la vie.

Second part of the equation is assembly:

Any issues with have the Armorers on base assemble the upper? I know they have all the required tools and then some. I could probably talk them into it for a six pack.

While I am sure they are capable. I assume that this level of disassembly / assembly is depot level and not something your average base level armorer would be doing daily.

In the end they VERY experienced at inspecting weapons. They inspect/gauge our weapons 6 ways to Sunday, so I know the final product would meet all required specs. (at time of assembly)

Thoughts?

Build specs for the curious:
Used BCM CHF 16" Lightweight mid-length-chamber and bore have been coated with melonite (sold as sub 100 rounds fired. Looks as new)
Pinned/shaved FSB
BCM blem upper (looks near perfect)
Griffin Armament M4-SD Comp (BEEFY)
Loki Weapon Systems XL 14.5" free float hand guard (14oz not sure if weight is with or without barrel nut, I ASSUME with. I already own their previous version on my 3 gun rifle and I love it. Wicked light)
Will most likely add just enough rail to mount front sight and x300
Undecided on sights, want light weight and user friendly.
Will be using a Aimpoint Comp-M4 until I can shell out the $ for a micro.

Thank you for your help!

Vince

polydeuces
11-04-11, 21:29
Wondering if the armorers on base are well outfitted and experienced something as fundamental as the parts you mention should be on hand and easy to purchase from them?
Apparently you have a barrel-nut and feel good about it's pedigree?

You can check vendors usually recommended on this forum - G&Rtactical, Bravo company, DSGarms, PKfirearms, even Spikes Tactical, they all have small parts that are of good quality.

Cost of s/h? Buy some other shit while you're at it, you know like all the other small upper parts - dust cover, FA, gas-tube/roll pin, crush washer ammo, lube, whatever, ammo, lube, magazines, can you ever have too much stuff?

Tweak
11-05-11, 00:03
weld spring and snap ring.

I think I have a two gallon bag full of these from all the free floats I've done over the years. Let me check.

Yep, had to make sure it was in this house. PM me a shipping address and I'll get them out Monday.

usmcvet
11-05-11, 06:45
Way to pay it forward!

Tweak
11-05-11, 12:28
Just saw you're in E WA, Fairchild maybe with the SERE reference? I dunno what kind of armorers you have access to at an AFB or if the repair system is set up the same as USA. In Big Green the guy in the arms room isn't qualified and lacks the tools to install a barrel.

Conversely, I know a guy in Rockford who might be able to help you.

serevince
11-05-11, 14:17
Thank for all the replies. I did some research and was educated to the fact that my (most others as well) free float tube does not require a weld spring or snap ring. Live and learn!

After reviewing some excellent videos on assembling uppers I may just go for it. I already own most of the tools and while I've assembled 5 lowers I've never done an upper. It's a good excuse to buy another tool as well.;)

Once complete I'll probably bring it to the base for the armorers to look at. I know from my dealings with them, they do a very thorough pre-deployment inspection, using several go-no go gauges. It'll just give me a warm fuzzy more than anything.

Also going to try my first Dura-coat job on this build! Just waiting for the last parts to arrive!

I'll throw a link to the build in this thread, once I start.

Thanks

Vince