PDA

View Full Version : S&W 327 PC 2"

jp0319
11-03-11, 23:50
I am looking at getting a Smith & Wesson 327 Performance Center 2" revolver. The problem is that I cannot find much information on this pistol outside of S&W. There are not many reviews on line or any in depth discussions about it.

Does anyone here have any experience with this pistol?

JP

Mr. Smith
11-08-11, 10:40
Hope this help's.
http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/smith%20add/SWPackAdcolor.jpg

jh9
11-08-11, 11:59
I am looking at getting a Smith & Wesson 327 Performance Center 2" revolver. The problem is that I cannot find much information on this pistol outside of S&W. There are not many reviews on line or any in depth discussions about it.

Does anyone here have any experience with this pistol?

JP

It's just another scandium N-frame. One local shooter cracked his, though I don't recall if it was a 327. S&W replaced it. I've seen a few pics of cracked scandium frames. I don't know if the failures are caused by sporadic issues with materials or if its a systemic problem with scandium frames and high pressure cartridges. It's enough to cause me to avoid them.

What do you want to do with the gun? A lightweight, snubbie N-frame (8-shot .357) is an odd carry gun, but there's nothing mechanically unusual about that particular model.

Generally speaking, the "performance center" guns aren't worth the premium. I've got a 681 that was tuned by them, and it's good...but for the price of a PC S&W you're better off to buy a stock variant and send it to someone who will do it up better than just "good."

Jake'sDad
11-08-11, 19:28
Yeah, I'd also have to ask what a 2" N frame .357 is good for. As a .357, a 2" sucks, and for concealment, an N frame sucks. Worst of both worlds.

But of course, because you want one, is never a bad reason to buy a gun.

jp0319
11-09-11, 09:48
I plan on this particular revolver as my winter carry piece when more penetration and power is possibly called for and also when it is easier to conceal something of this size. I usually carry my glock 19 or my wife's S&W airweight during the rest of the year.

JP

Jake'sDad
11-09-11, 11:20
Gotcha. I think you'll find that you won't be getting all that much more power or penetration out of a 2" .357, and that N frame cylinder is a bitch to conceal, (I've carried various ones over the years). Barrel length is much easier to hide, at least for me. If you want to stick with .357, how about a smaller frame 3" or 4"? Or if capacity is the issue, maybe a Glock in .357 Sig or .40. Imho, you'll find better performance out of any of those than you will out of that 327, and they'll be a lot easier to carry, and easier to shoot/hit with.

jp0319
11-12-11, 04:50
Just recieved confirmation today that my dealer has the 327 and my payaway payment. Excited, gives me something to play with in March when I'm on leave. I know the big N frame is not the ideal CC piece but even out of a 2" barrel its hard to argue 8 rds of .357 mag or even .38 +P, which will still post over 1000 fps and 379 ft/lbs out of a 2" barrel.

It's a cool revolver and even if I find it too big to properly conceal I can use it for a house gun.

JP

ThirdWatcher
11-12-11, 06:58
I really like N Frames (and I have several) but my 1911s are much easier to conceal.

Mr. Smith
11-12-11, 09:09
Just recieved confirmation today that my dealer has the 327 and my payaway payment. Excited, gives me something to play with in March when I'm on leave. I know the big N frame is not the ideal CC piece but even out of a 2" barrel its hard to argue 8 rds of .357 mag or even .38 +P, which will still post over 1000 fps and 379 ft/lbs out of a 2" barrel.

It's a cool revolver and even if I find it too big to properly conceal I can use it for a house gun.

JP

I carry a 4inch N frame CDW in the winter it is a fine gun for what you are using it for.