PDA

View Full Version : Gear Sector hand stop

amac
11-04-11, 18:15
Just received my Gear Sector hand stop. For those of you that might have the same thing, did you use the supplied red goo on the threads, or is blue loc-tite better? Thanks

Eric
11-04-11, 19:20
I used Loctite 242, just because it was handy at the time and easy to apply. The supplied thread-locker in the single use packet is fine (and contains about 5x what you need).

lt211
11-04-11, 19:22
Vibra-Tite VC-3 Threadmate they give you (red stuff) does the job... its like the blue stuff (Loctite-Prevents fastener loosening from shock & vibration), just let it dry a 1/2 hour or so before you assemble.

http://www.vibra-tite.com/vc3.html

Spengo
11-04-11, 19:44
I used blue loctite on mine for no other reason than it was easier to use the bottle I had right there that was all ready to go.

Skang
11-04-11, 20:01
Any of those will do fine for that application.

TangoSauce
11-04-11, 22:18
blue if you ever want it to come off, red if you want it there more 'permanently'

Eurodriver
11-05-11, 01:10
I used blue loctite on mine for no other reason than it was easier to use the bottle I had right there that was all ready to go.

Exactly.

Eurodriver
11-05-11, 01:11
blue if you ever want it to come off, red if you want it there more 'permanently'

The red stuff supplied with Gear Sector products is not the same as Red Permanent Loctite.

lt211
11-05-11, 07:09
delete

amac
11-05-11, 07:39
The red stuff supplied with Gear Sector products is not the same as Red Permanent Loctite.

That was one of my concerns. I may move this around and thus, don't want the thread lock to be permanent.

Eurodriver
11-05-11, 07:42
I don't believe thats true... its comparable to the blue loctite...(not red)

"Fasteners are easily adjusted, removed and reused"
http://www.vibra-tite.com/vc3.html

Did you miss where I said "not the same"?

I hope so.

That was one of my concerns. I may move this around and thus, don't want the thread lock to be permanent.

Then go ahead and use the red vibra-tite supplied with the Gear sector mount.

amac
11-05-11, 07:47

I hope so.

I saw your post, but didn't visit your link to verify. Just read the link and you are correct. The red goo doesn't harden like tradition thread lockers!

lt211
11-05-11, 11:56

I hope so.

yes I missed the NO, sorry...

jonconsiglio
11-05-11, 13:50
Just crank it down tight and move it around until you find the right place, then thread lock it. I have one on my SCAR Heavy and there's no thread locker left on the screw, and it stays put 100%.

The red stuff supplied is not a bad idea though as it will allow you to easily remove the screw, it just holds it enough that it won't back out under recoil even on a 7.62.

I prefer blue Loctite for most screws but like this stuff for larger screws that I may remove now and then. I'm pretty sure you could just tighten it down pretty good and not worry about any thread locker. Sure this depends n how you use your rifle, but my guess is it'll be fine either way until you find it's final resting place.

I've had mine since they first came out thnk it's a great piece of kit. I've decided to run the same vert grip on all my rifles thou and have the Gear Sector up on the E&E. Pretty much everything Jason makes is very high quality.

One thing I needed to do was after tightening it down all the way is mark the screw where it protrudes a little from the mount. Then, I ground it slightly at an angle to blend it a little more and then it was perfect. I put the screw head on the left side and that way when I wrap my hand around it, the tip of my little finger lands right where the end of the screw is.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/JJCCMC/e0efad45.jpg

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/JJCCMC/6df9b25e.jpg

TangoSauce
11-05-11, 21:16
In all reality, jonconsiglio brings up a point. I actually don't Loctite (or whatever is with that GS) anything except for my BUIS and red dot to the mount. My AFG has a tiny amount of play in it, but it's never came off. Wouldn't hurt though...

Eurodriver
11-06-11, 04:50
In all reality, jonconsiglio brings up a point. I actually don't Loctite (or whatever is with that GS) anything except for my BUIS and red dot to the mount. My AFG has a tiny amount of play in it, but it's never came off. Wouldn't hurt though...

Medium loctite any and all accessories

I'll follow Dano's advice. ;)

TangoSauce
11-06-11, 09:42
My advice would not be to avoid securing the handstop, so please don't put words into my mouth. I'm simply saying that I don't Loctite my AFG/VFG (other than the screw), and I've never had an issue.

Eurodriver
11-06-11, 11:59
My advice would not be to avoid securing the handstop, so please don't put words into my mouth. I'm simply saying that I don't Loctite my AFG/VFG (other than the screw), and I've never had an issue.

I read it as "I don't loctite anything except for my BUIS and red dot"...leaving out lasers, flashlights, etc.

I wouldn't loctite a VFG either, but I never use them anyway.