PDA

View Full Version : No Shave November...

Eurodriver
11-04-11, 18:17
The first time in many years I am allowed to participate. I hope in a few weeks to look like a certain armorer in Arizona.

I shaved and got a haircut on the 30th so its all growing in together, and quite nicely I might add.

Anyone else ever done it? Doing it now?

Quiet-Matt
11-04-11, 18:36
We usually play at work, but I'm interviewing for a new job right now so I can't this year. It usually comes down to me and another guy who rarely shaves anyway. I won last year, just had to outlast the guys whose wives couldn't take it. Loosers buy the beer. :D

SeriousStudent
11-04-11, 18:55

Yes.

Finally shaved after 11 years. It was amazing how many people did not notice at all, or did not recognize me.

Eurodriver
11-05-11, 07:46
Yes.

Finally shaved after 11 years. It was amazing how many people did not notice at all, or did not recognize me.

Did you ever shave prior to that 11 years? Did it eventually stop growing? Did you trim it? Come on man you can't say you didn't shave for 11 years and leave out the details!

In my entire life I have only gone about 5 days without shaving and I already began to feel like a homeless man.

Suwannee Tim
11-05-11, 09:17
Count me in. I promise not to shave in November.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/273422_1823172594_6488309_n.jpg

TehLlama
11-05-11, 10:38
Ugh... I should be participating in this.

SeriousStudent
11-05-11, 11:46
Did you ever shave prior to that 11 years? Did it eventually stop growing? Did you trim it? Come on man you can't say you didn't shave for 11 years and leave out the details!

In my entire life I have only gone about 5 days without shaving and I already began to feel like a homeless man.

Yes, I did shave for about 25 years prior to that. My officers and SNCO's became quite unruly when I forgot to shave in the Marine Corps. The Majors in particular seemed to get downright pissy about it.

I did trim the beard, when people started asking me which member of ZZ Top I was.

The last 4 or 5 years I kept it at about an inch long. The "facial hair caught in the collapsable carbine stock" issue made me trim it.

I shaved it off because it was pretty much all white rather than grey for the last 3-4 years, and my workplace was looking to do "voluntary" early retirements. Better to blend in with the youngsters again, so off went the Santa beard.

Eurodriver
11-05-11, 12:16
Thats awesome. I am having trouble dealing with the itchiness, thats why I have never really gone a week without shaving. Every time I turn my head or bend my neck I feel all the hair grind on my face...very uncomfortable.

Does it go away? Do you get used to it?

Trust me, I know how you feel. You have a choice. You can continue to serve your country honorably, or forego the next round of Re-up paperwork and grow a fat ass beard!

The choice is yours. :dirol:

SeriousStudent
11-05-11, 15:23
Yes, the facial hair does soften a bit, and you get used to it.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-05-11, 17:19

I know the feeling.

Magic_Salad0892
11-05-11, 17:51
My facial hair can't grow more than about 1/2-3/4'' an inch long.

I haven't shaved in over 2 years.

The fiancée won't let me.

If I do, I look like I'm 14 again. I was at the range once, and had a guy ask me if I should be shooting an SBR without my dad around to supervise.

Had to explain to him that I was 22.

Didn't believe me. Had to show him my ID.

Suwannee Tim
11-05-11, 20:12
I shaved every day or nearly so for 12 or 15 years. When I realized I absolutely hated shaving I quit. Razor hasn't touched my face in over 20 years.

I went to the barber four months ago, he was out sick. Went back the next week, he was on vacation. Went back the next week, there were 10 people waiting. I'm letting it grow, just for the hell of it. I had forgotten how much fun long hair can be. I won't brush it for for four hours and I get the Einstein look.

Dunderway
11-05-11, 20:34
Thats awesome. I am having trouble dealing with the itchiness, thats why I have never really gone a week without shaving. Every time I turn my head or bend my neck I feel all the hair grind on my face...very uncomfortable.

Does it go away? Do you get used to it?

Once it gets long enough to do your first trim, it will feel much better afterwards. Just like how much softer the hair on your head feels after you get it buzzed. Letting conditioner soak into it while you're in the shower also helps.

I quit having a beard/facial hair because unless you go full on Grizzly Adams it ends up being more work than just shaving everyday.

Don Robison
11-05-11, 21:07
When I retired in February I didn't shave for six weeks and had a nice 2" beard going; the wife finally said she was not shaving either until I did. That's one of the few arguments she's won in the last 20 years.

Magic_Salad0892
11-05-11, 21:34
When I retired in February I didn't shave for six weeks and had a nice 2" beard going; the wife finally said she was not shaving either until I did. That's one of the few arguments she's won in the last 20 years.

Ouch. Lmao. Ever wondered how long she could have gone until you just won anyway?

Don Robison
11-05-11, 21:42
Ouch. Lmao. Ever wondered how long she could have gone until you just won anyway?

She's hard headed; I didn't want to find out exactly how hard headed. :no:

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-05-11, 21:42
I was on block leave this month and was able to grow an impressive goatee, until it was time to go snag a low fade haircut because I didn't want a moto gunny snatching me up in public haha.

Magic_Salad0892
11-05-11, 22:12
I told my fiancée (I'm so happy I can type that now! :D:D:D:D:D) that I wasn't going to shave this November and she was like

''You don't normally....

WAIT. YOU BETTER BE TALKING ABOUT YOUR FACE. I AM NOT PUTTING MY FACE ANYWHERE NEAR THAT IF YOU DON'T MAINTAIN IT.''

It gave me a lot of joy.

variablebinary
11-05-11, 23:45
I wish I could, but I have to shave pretty much everyday

I grew a manly beard in the summer. I felt very...primal...

Eurodriver
11-06-11, 08:06
I am at day 6.

This is officially the longest I have ever gone without shaving since I was 17.

But its so damn itchy, I really don't know how long I can keep it up. At least the weather is nice and cool.

pilotguyo540
11-06-11, 08:38
First off, Congrats to you magic salad!

I hate shaving. I trim with clippers about once a week. I will join in if its not too late. I trimmed on the first, so I should be gtg.

Failure2Stop
11-06-11, 09:00
With a few rare exceptions I shaved every day for the last 14 1/2 years. When I got out a few months ago I just let it go, mostly out of curiosity to see what kind of bear I could grow.
It wasn't as impressive as I wanted after about 2 weeks, so I got rid of it.
And then no-shave November hit, and I decided to try out a goatee.
We'll see.
Might have to invest in some kind of tiny comb.

Iraqgunz
11-06-11, 14:33
Whom might you be referring to?

The first time in many years I am allowed to participate. I hope in a few weeks to look like a certain armorer in Arizona.

I shaved and got a haircut on the 30th so its all growing in together, and quite nicely I might add.

Eurodriver
11-06-11, 15:40
I'd like to point out that the gentlemen on the weather channel are participating in No Shave November.

I am not particularly doing it for anything, such as prostate cancer, but its good to know that some are.

First off, Congrats to you magic salad!

I hate shaving. I trim with clippers about once a week. I will join in if its not too late. I trimmed on the first, so I should be gtg.

You're good. Its these people who come in a week late and try to participate which screw it up. Sure you can not shave, but you need a disclaimer.

Whom might you be referring to?

If I say you, will I get in trouble for sniping? :cool:

I've only seen one picture of your face from an upper receiver build you were doing. Your eyes were blacked out but you had a sick beard. No homo, but thats my goal...

It wasn't as impressive as I wanted after about 2 weeks, so I got rid of it.
And then no-shave November hit, and I decided to try out a goatee.
We'll see.
Might have to invest in some kind of tiny comb.

I am in the same boat. My face looks like someone just glued a bunch of pubic hair all over my cheeks, not filled in at all yet. At least I have a "mans" beard where I have solid hair growth from my hairline, down to my chin, on my neck and my mustache. No patches of peach fuzz here.

Iraqgunz
11-06-11, 19:47
Just checking. I had a pimp ass goatee going until I had to trim it. I was looking like someone from Sons of Anarchy.

Right now I am just letting it grow until I get a good reason to trim it again.

I'd like to point out that the gentlemen on the weather channel are participating in No Shave November.

I am not particularly doing it for anything, such as prostate cancer, but its good to know that some are.

You're good. Its these people who come in a week late and try to participate which screw it up. Sure you can not shave, but you need a disclaimer.

If I say you, will I get in trouble for sniping? :cool:

I've only seen one picture of your face from an upper receiver build you were doing. Your eyes were blacked out but you had a sick beard. No homo, but thats my goal...

I am in the same boat. My face looks like someone just glued a bunch of pubic hair all over my cheeks, not filled in at all yet. At least I have a "mans" beard where I have solid hair growth from my hairline, down to my chin, on my neck and my mustache. No patches of peach fuzz here.

Surf
11-06-11, 21:00
We cannot have beards, but I do grow a mean goatee or beard while on vacation. Problem being is that with a shaved head, goatee, a lot of tats, tank tops and shorts, people tend to steer well clear of me. :confused:

I had a mustache during the heydays in the 90's as did most guys in my field, but now the clean look is in. However in Aug my team did mustache month and wire frame aviator type sunglasses. Only 2 of us lasted the entire month, lol. I keep saying we need to do shaved head month. Us follically challenged types are already ahead of the game. However there are more than a few of them pretty boys who will have none of it. :D

Eurodriver
11-08-11, 20:56
Day 9 is tomorrow. I am unimpressed and it is very uncomfortable.

Off it comes.

Littlelebowski
11-08-11, 21:09
I'm a wet shaving guy so I can't go without shaving unless I am camping. Something about lathering up with a brush and using an old school razor.....

SeriousStudent
11-08-11, 21:52
Day 9 is tomorrow. I am unimpressed and it is very uncomfortable.

Off it comes.

It's like putting down the Marlburos. The first year is the hardest. ;)

Dave_M
11-09-11, 11:11
I had a, 'no shave' several years. I cut it all back rather recently and giving it a, 'lets see'.

But yes, people didn't recognize me the effect was that big.

chadbag
11-09-11, 17:40
You have to have a special month for it?

I had a 5 or so inch long narrow strip off my chin for like the last 5 years, but shaved it this Spring for a job interview. Did not get the job, so I am growing it back. But this time the whole round chin part. But some times, if I miss a few days, I will let the rest of it go a week or two until I shave everything but the chin again. Right now I am in that state of not having shaved anything for a week or two.

I want to get the chin thing as long as possible and put viking braid in it :)

Redmanfms
11-09-11, 20:59
I quit having a beard/facial hair because unless you go full on Grizzly Adams it ends up being more work than just shaving everyday.

Must be an individual thing. I haven't shaved (or trimmed) in over 2 years and my beard is nearly to my navel. All I do to maintain it is shampoo it and comb it out after a shower. Every once in a while I use some conditioner. I've been growing my hair out for about the same time (from a crew cut) and have exactly the same care regimen as for the beard. Shaving took me longer and the damned razor cartridges cost a fortune.