PDA

View Full Version : Stag LPK Hammer - what is going on here?

Mo_Zam_Beek
11-04-11, 20:14
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/conga68/IMG_1159.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/conga68/IMG_1163.jpg

So I went to slide hammer pin in and it would not go through. I got to looking at hammer and realized it has this pin that runs through a portion of the hole and through the body of the hammer. Is this a flaw? A funny pin retention device? Should I drill it out? Beat the pin through?

TIA

airdrop
11-04-11, 20:18
that's the hammer j spring and it belongs in there to keep the pin from backing out. Put some oil in there and gently tap the hammer pin thru and you'll be all set.

Suwannee Tim
11-04-11, 21:15
Funny you should mention it. I bought an LMT with the wrong, single stage trigger. I bought an LMT two stage to replace it. The hammer pin kept coming out. No J spring. Either LMT failed to install it or more likely, I dislodged and lost it in the installation. LMT was quick to accept responsibility and offer a replacement even arguing with me when I tried to take the blame. I like folks with broad shoulders. People willing to take the blame even when it's not their fault. I can tell you from personal experience, yes you need the J spring. Like airdrop said........a little oil, tap it in.

Mo_Zam_Beek
11-04-11, 21:53
I have built 8 lowers why do I not remember seeing these in other LPKs? Just not as pronounced?

Thank you

jet80tv
11-04-11, 22:04
I have built 8 lowers why do I not remember seeing these in other LPKs? Just not as pronounced?

Thank you

Did you use hammers in those 8 lowers? Go back through those lowers and you'll see it's normal just as others have said!;)

Tweak
11-04-11, 23:55
The J spring is staked in position, that's what the circular window in the middle is for. Start the end of the hammer pin that doesn't have an annular groove to simplify installation.

Quib
11-05-11, 09:19
In the back of TM 9-1005-319-23&P is APPENDIX E "ILLUSTRATED LIST OF MANUFACTURED ITEMS". One of those manufactured items is a "Slave Pin" which can be made from an unserviceable FCG Pin or similar diameter steel stock material.

I have utilized my own Slave Pin in the past when dealing with a stubborn "J-Spring".

The drawing in Appendix E modifying an unserviceable FCG Pin leaves the ends of the pin at the same angle as original. I have found that bringing the insertion end of the pin to more of a tapered tip helps with driving the Slave Pin place.

GTifosi
11-05-11, 10:21
The slave pin as illustrated in the TM is used to hold the trigger and disconnect assembly together so you can drop it in as a unit and serves no actual purpose for installing the hammer as the J spring is still going to resist the end of the pivot pin and it doesn't hold anything in place or help alignment when installing the hammer.

Quib
11-05-11, 11:43
The slave pin as illustrated in the TM is used to hold the trigger and disconnect assembly together so you can drop it in as a unit and serves no actual purpose for installing the hammer as the J spring is still going to resist the end of the pivot pin and it doesn't hold anything in place or help alignment when installing the hammer.

As illustrated in the TM, yes you are correct.

I'm stating that a slightly modified version of the slave pin can be used as well, when it comes to inserting a FCG pin past a stubborn J-Spring.

GTifosi
11-06-11, 15:08
Do you also pocket the tail of the slave at all to more readily accept the pin so it slips past the sping more easily, or just leave it at lengthening the taper so the nose shoves through with less grunt?

Quib
11-07-11, 06:53
Nothing that elaborate. Just a taper on one end of the pin.