PDA

View Full Version : M&P questions?

Trumpet
11-23-07, 19:20
Alrighty,
I'm really considering getting an M&P (but I have to rent one at the local range first). Anyway, I'm mainly a 1911 guy, but I do like my Glock 19's and XD45. I prefer the XD grip angle, but the Glock trigger reset. How does the M&P compare? Also, is there a "best of the breed" size/caliber for the M&P (you know, sort of like how many consider the G19 to be the best of the Glocks)?

Thanks
Rich

Business_Casual
11-23-07, 20:46
The Glock trigger reset is better, it is more distinct and audible. The M&P trigger is shorter and closer in feel to a single action though.

The ability to choose a backstrap that matches your hand size is a definite advantage of the M&P. The metal magazines, while more expensive, are superior to the Glock magazines. They eject from the M&P better - ala 1911.

I'm not much of a caliber war kind of guy so I don't know.

M_P

M4arc
11-23-07, 21:27
The grip angle on the M&P is 18 degrees which is the same as the 1911. As MP stated the back straps allow you to find one that works best for you. As for the reset, it isn't as distinct as the Glock but the trigger is very tunable, especially in the hands of guys like Burwell or Bowie. In fact I think Bowie even offers a trigger job package that gets you close to a 1911 trigger.

signal4l
11-23-07, 21:34
I purchased an M&P 45 and am, overall, quite happy with it.

What I dont like:

1.The trigger guard is stippled on the underside. This is unecessary, as it starts to abrade my middle finger after a few mags.

2.The thumb safety is not adequately tensioned. Too easy to wipe off.

3.The slide runs forward when I forcefully insert a loaded mag. I would rather do it myself.

The trigger on mine has smoothed up nicely. If you buy one, shoot a case of ammo through it before spending the cash on a trigger job.

I prefer it to my P220 and (I hope the earth doesnt open up and swallow me whole) my Govmt Model.

Jay Cunningham
11-23-07, 22:48
I ran my first 100 rounds of WWB through my brandy-dandy new .45 today:

1.The trigger guard is stippled on the underside. This is unecessary, as it starts to abrade my middle finger after a few mags.
Agree.

2.The thumb safety is not adequately tensioned. Too easy to wipe off.
I don't have the thumb safety.

3.The slide runs forward when I forcefully insert a loaded mag. I would rather do it myself.
That happens occasionally on almost all polymer-framed autos.

The trigger on mine has smoothed up nicely. If you buy one, shoot a case of ammo through it before spending the cash on a trigger job.
I find my trigger to be similar to my Glock, except a little grittty on the take up with a very heavy weight for the break, and a less distinct reset. I'm used to the reset now, and I'm sure that the gritty stuff will smooth out, but I may have to send it off just to lighten the break weight.

Overall, I was favorably impressed, but there are a couple of minor issues that need addressed. It was weird being able to hold a pistol correctly again (I have small hands and shoot a Glock 19) - the small backstrap allowed me to align the axis of the pistol with my forearm and still press the trigger.

mark5pt56
11-24-07, 08:47
The trigger reset hasn't been an issue with my M&P, even going from Glocks to it and back. The area underneath the trigger guard doesn't bother me now, didn't alter it. It is softer shooting. I wouldn't get wrapped up in the caliber issue. If funds aren't an issue, get the full size 9mm and try it out!

On a side note, I used the Glock mag loading tool on the M&P mags--works like a champ!

Mark

mpardun
11-24-07, 09:55
Buy the M&P, send it to Dan Burwell for his excellent M&P trigger job:
$65 standard (~3.5 - 4lbs)
$110 comp. (~2.25, short reset)

http://burwellgunsmithing.com/M&P1.htm

M4arc
11-24-07, 12:07
Just about everyone that has complained about the trigger being gritty has posted that it did end up smoothing out after a few hundred rounds.

subzero
11-24-07, 12:33
Polishing the face of the striker and the contact surfaces for the sear will take out most if not all of the grittiness. Not filing, just polishing. These surfaces will wear in after a few hundred rounds by themselves, but it's easy to do and the improvements are immediate.

Akoni
11-24-07, 13:13
....and (I hope the earth doesnt open up and swallow me whole) my Govmt Model.

You'd better find out which cave osama is hiding in and see if he'll let you stay with him for a while....M&P over a 1911 sheesh, I feel the earth cracking now! :eek:

R1pper
11-24-07, 14:14
I not yet shot the M&P 9 but I own the 40 and have shot the 45 and they are both amazing. I agree with staying away from the caliber war. But think if this,

9mm=17+1
.40=15+1
.45=10+1

In my mind you can not go wrong with the .40 But that just my opinion and we all know what opinions are like!

Trumpet
11-24-07, 14:37
I'd either go 9mm or .45. I have no place for .40

John_Wayne777
11-24-07, 14:44
I ran my first 100 rounds of WWB through my brandy-dandy new .45 today:

Overall, I was favorably impressed, but there are a couple of minor issues that need addressed. It was weird being able to hold a pistol correctly again (I have small hands and shoot a Glock 19) - the small backstrap allowed me to align the axis of the pistol with my forearm and still press the trigger.

The trigger work offered by Burwell (and Bowie) REALLY helps the M&P trigger and REALLY improves the shootability of the weapon, in my opinion. I found that from the box it was easier to shoot well than a Glock (of course, I've never been a Glock fan) but that after the trigger job it was almost as easy to shoot well as my 1911.

The triggers do smooth out a bit with wear, but I'll guarantee that the trigger job will be the best 50 bucks you ever spent.

signal4l
11-24-07, 14:52
[QUOTE=Akoni;97773]You'd better find out which cave osama is hiding in and see if he'll let you stay with him for a while....M&P over a 1911 sheesh, I feel the earth cracking now! :eek:[/QUOT

Despite my nit picking I like the M&P's . I own only one Government Model. It cost 3 times more than my M&P 45. It also needed 3 trips back to the gunsmith to get it running right. There is an undeniable advantage to getting a pistol that runs well out of the box.