PDA

View Full Version : s&w m&p sport

hardluk1
11-05-11, 16:43
I bought a sport last week and being new to ar type rifle spent some time learning about them up close, Took it apart and back together and cleaned and relubed. Fired a few rounds with stock sighta and ordered a RRA scope mount. That came in yesterday and I put a older burris japan made 2-10 on it and went to the range. Knowing it has a 5.56 chamber, 1-8 twist barrel and shooting some american eagle 6 buck a box AR.223 ammo I found it will shoot under an 1" at 100 yards after the first group. Did not except that with the ammo used or the triggers that come in AR's, 6lb. Now I can't weight to get some heavier match ammo in 5.56 to try. And a 2 1/2lb jard trigger. Good basic rifle for under 600 dollars, atleast I think it is.

m4brian
11-05-11, 18:25
Handled one at Virginia Arms the other day. The trigger had a smooth take up, and decently crisp letoff. It was tight. Handguards had no heat shields. It looked VERY well made. The finish on the barrel is screaming good - deep black nitride - excellent. BUT - it is not tapered and a bit heavy, which DOES lead to better accuracy, but makes this little carbine a bit front heavy. I'd love to see a LW version. I also liked the barrel finish bigtime.

The integrated extended trigger guard is also neat.

hardluk1
11-05-11, 19:22
I think you covered the sport well and for me it seems that most all my rifles are barrel heavy soooo I guess thats fine for me. I am a bit steadier with a heavy barreled firearm. Also the triggers fuction is tight ,no waisted movement BUT Its the heavest trigger I now own by far. But that easily correctable. Just seems like a good tight rifle over all. Thanks

ucrt
11-05-11, 23:49

Welcome.

I had a buddy who bought his wife a new car a few months ago. He bought her a $36K Kia that had a $20K base price. One of the things he bragged to us about was the glove box was air conditioned?? The Kia was designed to be an economy car but he tried making it a luxury car...but it was really still an economy car...

From what I've read, the Sport seems to be an adequate starter gun. Learn to use it like it was designed to be used. You can probably make it sit on a bench like a good puppy and make it shoot fair but it was really designed to shoot off-hand quickly with fast reloads for a lot of rounds. Don't get snookered by 3-round or 5-round groups, an AR's accuracy is jusged by 10-round groups.

It took me a while to learn that an AR really shines when it is "running & gunnin'". I would suggest to take a little time, take a class, and use the gun like it was made to be used. Hate to see you dress up a "Kia" to be twice what it's worth...

But maybe it's just me...

gunfighter48
11-06-11, 01:47
I've owned the M&P 15 Sport since Aug. and it's a very well made AR. Would you expect anything else from S&W? They stand by their warranty and don't want a junker to contend with. It's a very accurate rifle, light weight, and takes all the AR parts you could want to put on one.

I see no problem with making it your rifle by adding the goodies you want on it. I put a Magpul MOE stock, hand guard, pistol grip on mine. I added Impact Weapons QD mounts on my hand guard and butt stock. The trigger pull on mine was well over 8 lbs. So I put in a Timney 4 lb trigger in mine. Sweeeeet trigger and makes for great groups down range. I also put a Vortex flash hider on it and my last goody was a Primary Arms M4 style red dot sight. By the way it's a great sight for the money and very sturdy.

Now I have the AR that I want at a price I could afford. It's very accurate, light weight, and when the Zombie's come calling I'll be ready! Sometimes you get what you pay for and in this case you get a lot more gun than the price indicates. Enjoy your gun, it's just fun to shoot.

hardluk1
11-06-11, 06:14
gun fighter , Thanks. . Sometimes people get it and sometimes you get some gun snob that wants impress himself with his KIA reference.

ucrt Your remark about an adequate starter rifle is just foolish. You must feel that only a lmt or dd or cmmg for a cheapy is the only ar based rifles that should be used?? Useing your reference to learn how to run and gun and useing the firearm for its intended purpose that must be your play time on weekends. Good for you. The m&p sport will work fine for coyote control, tearching my grandkids about centerfire rifles haveing a very lite recoil and for a small amount of fun for me at match's. YOU must be one of the guys that thinks only a dd or lmt or maybe a cheaper cmmg is worthy of your ownership. And your Kia remark just shows why you HAD a buddy. Your a snob.

I have 43 years of hunting with most types of weapons in 56 years and know exactly what i bought and why I picked this model and brand..

товарищ
11-06-11, 09:20
gun fighter , Thanks. . Sometimes people get it and sometimes you get some gun snob that wants impress himself with his KIA reference.

ucrt Your remark about an adequate starter rifle is just foolish. You must feel that only a lmt or dd or cmmg for a cheapy is the only ar based rifles that should be used?? Useing your reference to learn how to run and gun and useing the firearm for its intended purpose that must be your play time on weekends. Good for you. The m&p sport will work fine for coyote control, tearching my grandkids about centerfire rifles haveing a very lite recoil and for a small amount of fun for me at match's. YOU must be one of the guys that thinks only a dd or lmt or maybe a cheaper cmmg is worthy of your ownership. And your Kia remark just shows why you HAD a buddy. Your a snob.

I have 43 years of hunting with most types of weapons in 56 years and know exactly what i bought and why I picked this model and brand..

You're going to find that the majority of the people here don't use the M&P sport with match ammo or use it to shoot coyotes. It has less to do with snobbery and more to do with application. Many here like reputable brands for HD, training, etc. Your OP didn't specify what you intended to do with it.

sr71plane
11-06-11, 09:20
You will find that there are many "SNOBS" around here. Very "Knowledgeable SNOBS", but............. "SNOBS" none the less.

Aray
11-06-11, 09:22
If SNOB="One who expects a defensive weapon to function in that capacity reliably" then yes, there are many. Including me.

LostinKY
11-06-11, 12:11
After spending a lot of time here reading the Sticky's and using the search function.....
I still bought a M&P Sport thanks to the people on this fine board!

Why?
Because I soon found out the AR I really wanted was going to be $1,200+

Because I am a pistol shooter first and have only shot about 10,000 rds of long gun and shotguns.

Because I wanted the best low cost starter AR, just in case it became a closet queen while I wore my handguns out :smile:

I had some cash money and a hunting pistol to trade available to invest now (about $700) or I will have to wait and save for several months maybe a year, sorry times are hard and I am not selling any more my handguns or shoot them any less.

Here is my economic analysis:
Buy Colt 6920 and 2,000 rds of Tula ammo = about $1250
Buy best low budget AR M+P Sport and 2,000rds of Tula ammo = about $850
$400 less, not a lot long term but still its $400 I don't have.

OK, I use either rifle for the 2K rds and then want to sell it.
Should get maybe $900 for the Colt or $500 for the Sport.

I am sure that the Sport fits my intended purpose (fun) for several $ less then the next closest competion, the Colt.
Bushy, DPMS ect are not in the same class as the Sport.
Not convinced about Spikes yet as a slightly lower cost option than the Colt.

All that said, I have had fun learning how to take apart and operate an AR. No failures after about 1,000 rds. and plenty of smiles.

I really want a BCM 14.5 w/Pinned Comp Middy LW barrel :cool:

Time will tell.

I know the Sport is not in the same league as the Colt and such
and I am sure not saying it is.

Iraqgunz
11-06-11, 12:24
If you want to post incoherent rambling posts about your few rounds and how you love your purchase please use Facebook or Twitter.