PDA

View Full Version : Looking to mount a Elite 4200 on a DPMS

Smackover
11-05-11, 19:46
Hey guys,

I just picked up a Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9-40, and I'd like to mount it on my DPMS AP4 (with the carry handle removed). What would be the best way to get this done? Low cost would be ideal. Also, is there a good way to mount this with backup irons, or should I replace the front sight and just run the scope. I can also put the carry handle back on if there's a better way to mount the scope using that. Thanks!

striped1
11-05-11, 20:08
go to larue tactical. They have excellent mounts.

PlatoCATM
11-05-11, 20:51
I would also suggest using a larue or ADM mount and putting a back up iron sight on that will fit under the scope. If you mount it on the carry handle, you find it less than ideal. The said mounts aren't exactly cheap, but they are worth it to keep the capability of quickly detaching them and having iron sights available.

glocktogo
11-06-11, 21:06
Larue, definitely.

Smackover
11-06-11, 21:59
Can anyone give me any info on which Larue mount I should look into? This is my first scope, and I haven't found a lot of good info out there on what size mount I need. Thanks again!

shootist~
11-06-11, 22:26
The standard LaRue SPR / LT104 more than likely. Give LaRue a call and discuss inserts if it's a 1" tube.

broylz
11-06-11, 23:01
if the Larue is more than you want to spend, Ive had very good results with my Burris PEPR mount. they have a newer version with a QD option which would be good if you need to remove it for BUIS use. i got mine from SWFA.

markm
11-07-11, 07:14
I have Pappabear's 4200 in a larue mount at home. I might be able to get a pic of it for you later if you want.

Smackover
11-07-11, 07:42
I have Pappabear's 4200 in a larue mount at home. I might be able to get a pic of it for you later if you want.

Yeah, that'd be great :)

markm
11-07-11, 07:59
Bump this thread later or PM me at the end of the day. Otherwise I'll forget.

a0cake
11-07-11, 09:09
Hey guys,

I just picked up a Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9-40, and I'd like to mount it on my DPMS AP4 (with the carry handle removed). What would be the best way to get this done? Low cost would be ideal. Also, is there a good way to mount this with backup irons, or should I replace the front sight and just run the scope. I can also put the carry handle back on if there's a better way to mount the scope using that. Thanks!

If low cost is what you're after the Burris PEPR mounts are a good option. They're really the only low cost mounts I would consider using. If you can afford Bobro or ADM obviously go that route, but if not, the Burris PEPR mount will work. They have a QD version for around $90. The non-QD screw type is around $70. I would honestly trust the screw type non-QD more when it comes to this mount. Once you get into ADM / Bobro territory QD is good to go.

I see you're being nudged in the direction of more expensive mounts, and that's great. Go for it if you can. If you absolutely can't, keep the Burris in mind.

P.S As far as the BUIS go, you can find a rear back up that fits under the scope and leave the FSB. Or you can remove the FSB, replace with a low profile gas block (or just shave the FSB), then install a free float rail and front back up sight. The second option, although better, is not something I would consider worth doing on a DPMS. No disrespect intended.

Smackover
11-07-11, 10:07
If low cost is what you're after the Burris PEPR mounts are a good option. They're really the only low cost mounts I would consider using. If you can afford Bobro or ADM obviously go that route, but if not, the Burris PEPR mount will work. They have a QD version for around $90. The non-QD screw type is around $70. I would honestly trust the screw type non-QD more when it comes to this mount. Once you get into ADM / Bobro territory QD is good to go.

I see you're being nudged in the direction of more expensive mounts, and that's great. Go for it if you can. If you absolutely can't, keep the Burris in mind.

P.S As far as the BUIS go, you can find a rear back up that fits under the scope and leave the FSB. Or you can remove the FSB, replace with a low profile gas block (or just shave the FSB), then install a free float rail and front back up sight. The second option, although better, is not something I would consider worth doing on a DPMS. No disrespect intended.

You live and you learn :) The DPMS hasn't failed me, but I probably wouldn't buy one again.

markm
11-07-11, 19:50
Crappy cell phone pic... but here's the 4200 in a LaRue SPR - 1.5 mount.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/1107111841.jpg

Nightvisionary
11-10-11, 00:04
I would go with an ADM mount. They make excellent mounttheir and design is better than the similar Larue offering. Another added plus is they are slightly less expensive as well.

Nightvisionary
11-10-11, 00:08
Leupold also has a new cantilever mount out this year. It lacks a QD feature but may be less expensive than the Larue but better quality than the Burris PEPR mount.

JSantoro
11-10-11, 08:15
They make excellent mounttheir and design is better than the similar Larue offering.

That's just plain bullshit.

^^See, I can do a drive-by and leave behind a stand-alone opinion that includes no supporting information to back up my assertion....just like you did.

I'm a fan of ADM mounts, but that's a bullshit statement. Far more accurate to say that ADM achieves similar performance for somewhat less money, and using a different design with which to secure their mounts to 1913 rails. Corssbolts don't last as long, though, and induce stresses to the rails that the LaRue vertical tensioner does not.

Regardless, any of these mounts will do well for this rifle/scope combo.

shootingrats
11-11-11, 18:53
If you want to protect that scope while you are playing ruff, check out www.scoperubberz.com
for a few bucks you can have an easy on/off rubber coat on the outside of the scope, doesn't affect performance and is almost invisible.